Super Smash Bros

What if Captain Falcon's dick has wings and his nipples has beaks?
That would be incredible.

If Captain Falcon was naked then ever single female fighting game character would apply to Super Smash Bros.

Upon that latest interview with Sakurai my hope for the game being good went down the shitter again.

What exactly did he say that was big news?

Is it the part about the gamecube controller not being the only way to play?
Cause I too am woried they might not bring it back, but I'm hopefull that the Wii U Pro controller will be good. It seems very traditional and good to play a smash bros game on judging by the pictures.

Or was it about them incorperating new ways to play? Cause Nintendo always throws the phrase "new way" in just about everything now and its become tiring and meaningless. And they've been saying they'll do something new to this game for a while now in previous interviews.

You can't use the GC controller, Wii U doesn't support it, not unless third parties find a way to do it

And I agree, Nintendo does say that about most of their games

For some reason, though, I think Critical could be worried about Sakurai's statement that the game won't be radically different from past installments; he might interpret the statement as the game possibly being mostly similar to the latest installment, Brawl, which he hates

Or something, I dunno

Probably going to wait a few months/year to get it. No way I'm buying a new console, new game & New controller all on day 1

I'm certainly not buying the WiiU Day 1. Seriously, they have nothing to lure people in to buying it. And I'm a big Nintendo fan too. New Super Mario Bros WiiU looks exactly like the previous one on Wii, and Pikmin 3? Well I enjoyed the other pikmin games and all, but cmon, does Nintendo actually think that Pikmin will make the masses go crazy for their new console? Gonna eventually buy it for sure to play Zelda/SSB/FZERO, but unless they have something up their sleeves for the launch I'm not buying it launch day.

But for me, a new smash bros game would make me buy a console. Cause those games last a long time and are worth the money for me. And by the time SSB4 is out, there will most likely be other cool games out worth having finally.

For some reason, though, I think Critical could be worried about Sakurai's statement that the game won't be radically different from past installments; he might interpret the statement as the game possibly being mostly similar to the latest installment, Brawl, which he hates

I dont think that necessarily means it is going to be just like Brawl though. Sakurai wasnt being that specific. If he actually came out and said it will be just like Brawl, then I understand, but this was kind of a vague statement.

I intepreted that statement as : "We may be adding some minor new features, but the game will overall play like the series has always done."

If anything I think its a good sign, cause at least we know they arent going to go overboard on adding new gimicks. Or I hope so.

Yeah that's the statement I was worried about Sorry I missed your post Sky.

Game cube controller worries me too though. That controller was like designed for Smash Bros, and Resident Evil.

You make a good point that his statement was very broad. But saying "not changing things" instantly makes me worried. I REALLY REALLY want a good Smash game. But I'm super pessimistic because that's just how much I hated brawl.

Like I said, I microwaved my brawl copy, I didn't even sell it back. So i'm probably just LOOKING for bad because I'm overly worried about it.

Yeah that's the statement I was worried about Sorry I missed your post Sky.

Game cube controller worries me too though. That controller was like designed for Smash Bros, and Resident Evil.

You make a good point that his statement was very broad. But saying "not changing things" instantly makes me worried. I REALLY REALLY want a good Smash game. But I'm super pessimistic because that's just how much I hated brawl.

Like I said, I microwaved my brawl copy, I didn't even sell it back. So i'm probably just LOOKING for bad because I'm overly worried about it.

come on, its not that bad, i actually like it

come on, its not that bad, i actually like it

IF you ever go competitive melee you'll understand.

It's like, we're all drinking tropicana lemonade, the corn syrup stuff. And we're like ya this is pretty good.

When you work on your melee game. You get to tase REAL lemonade. And you're like OMG what garbage have I been drinking before this?

So when the next lemonade glass comes out and it's some off brand lemonade made from the cheapest materials money can buy. The people who didn't get to taste the REAL lemonade, will think "Aww man come on it's not so bad"

I'm not dogging your tastes by my hate.

I ENJOYED melee at a shallow level. Before I got competitive in melee and then SUPER fell in love with the game. So I know the stance. But once I got deep into the mechanics, I can't go back to that shallow level.

About the lack of GC support, I don't know what you all were expecting, Nintendo said over a year ago that Wii U wouldn't support GC games, they said so right after its initial reveal at last year's E3.

Hell, there are even some newer Wii models that are dropping GameCube support.

So with that said, why include support for a controller for a console whose games aren't even supported by the same console, anyway?

You might say, "Oh, well, GC games could be on the Wii U's Virtual Console, so there'd be a use for them then", which is true, but you gotta think like Nintendo would here.

Nintendo could just as easily have those games just use the other controllers compatible with the Wii U such as the Pro controller, Classic controller, etc. and call it a day. Adding GC ports and support for Wii U would probably produce unnecessary manufacturing costs, at least I imagine that's probably why. Keep in mind that we're talking about a console that's 2 generations old now. Nintendo probably figures that if GameCube support really means that much to certain people out there, they will still hold on to their Wii or even their GCN. They're most likely planning to release GCN titles on the Wii U's Virtual Console, anyway, like they're doing with GBA games on the 3DS. As a matter of fact, it looks like that's indeed going to happen after all.

I was silently hoping that they would design Wii U Pro controller to be like an updated GCN controller with the same button layout, the addition of a Home Button and everything, since there are games like Melee that were practically made for the GC controller. However, it's looking like they won't even throw us that bone since the Wii U Pro controller looks more like a 360 controller.

I honestly consider myself lucky that Nintendo is as generous as they are with backwards compatibility for their consoles in the first place. I mean, look at Sony and Microsoft; PS3 Slim doesn't even support PS2, and the original Xbox titles that you can play on the 360 require a hard drive to do so. IIRC, even Vita only supports PSP games that have been digitally released on PSN

Last edited:
About the lack of GC support, I don't know what you all were expecting, Nintendo said over a year ago that Wii U wouldn't support GC games, they said so right after its initial reveal at last year's E3.

Hell, there are even some newer Wii models that are dropping GameCube support.

So with that said, why include support for a controller for a console whose games aren't even supported by the same console, anyway?

You might say, "Oh, well, GC games could be on the Wii U's Virtual Console, so there'd be a use for them then", which is true, but you gotta think like Nintendo would here.

Nintendo could just as easily have those games just use the other controllers compatible with the Wii U such as the Pro controller, Classic controller, etc. and call it a day. Adding GC ports and support for Wii U would probably produce unnecessary manufacturing costs, at least I imagine that's probably why. Keep in mind that we're talking about a console that's 2 generations old now. Nintendo probably figures that if GameCube support really means that much to certain people out there, they will still hold on to their Wii or even their GCN. They're most likely planning to release GCN titles on the Wii U's Virtual Console, anyway, like they're doing with GBA games on the 3DS. As a matter of fact, it looks like that's indeed going to happen after all.

I was silently hoping that they would design Wii U Pro controller to be like an updated GCN controller with the same button layout, the addition of a Home Button and everything, since there are games like Melee that were practically made for the GC controller. However, it's looking like they won't even throw us that bone since the Wii U Pro controller looks more like a 360 controller.

I honestly consider myself lucky that Nintendo is as generous as they are with backwards compatibility for their consoles in the first place. I mean, look at Sony and Microsoft; PS3 Slim doesn't even support PS2, and the original Xbox titles that you can play on the 360 require a hard drive to do so. IIRC, even Vita only supports PSP games that have been digitally released on PSN

no one is asking for gamecube controllers to play gamecube games.

we want gamecube controller, because it's a good controller.

They don't need to make GC controller ports.

just make them wavebirds, that sync up to the Wii-U

It's the design man,

We don't need to use the controller I have in the closet, or anything.

I just want the design back.

Last edited:
I never said that was the reason why people want the controller back, though ;)

The reasoning behind why people want the controller wasn't even something I was trying to address

Maybe I should have made myself more clear, I know why people want to use the GC controller on Wii U and I know how much people like it. GCN controller is probably my favorite controller other than the 360 controller. I was simply trying to get people to see why the Wii U doesn't support the GCN since there are people in here who seem to actually be surprised that it doesn't support it.

My overall point wasn't about Smash in particular, it was about the controller and the Wii U in general. Hence why you see I didn't mention Smash in my post. Maybe it wasn't very smart of me to make that whole big ass post revolved around me assuming that people actually were surprised by that, or that I posted something like that in a Smash thread, but I don't really care, that's just something I felt like I needed to address