Super Smash Bros

Eh he's kinda right.

One of the dudes that helped make Melee (Forget the dude's name lol) said that there will never be a Smash that deep ever again.

People actually took smash seriously? I'm sorry, but I can't take a game like that seriously. I've been playing since the first game on N64 and can't imagine people ever expecting depth in a game like that. I always saw it as a fun party game to play with friends....sooo....yeah.

People actually took smash seriously? I'm sorry, but I can't take a game like that seriously. I've been playing since the first game on N64 and can't imagine people ever expecting depth in a game like that. I always saw it as a fun party game to play with friends....sooo....yeah.

Watch Critical's videos then tell me you can't take it seriously.
Melee is deep as f*ck.

I've played the game with tournament players who went to tournaments often and won money and blah blah. I just can't take such a silly game seriously competitively compared to something like Tekken, KOF, or VF.

I've played the game with tournament players who went to tournaments often and won money and blah blah. I just can't take such a silly game seriously competitively compared to something like Tekken, KOF, or VF.

You did that for melee? If you did I'm calling you out and calling BS that you were any good. 1,000 dollar money match and I'll come play you in a best of 11.

Or you can try and answer these questions.

What move or strategy in smash is called super ultra ninja cookies

What is european smash DI

And please try and name a better fighter.

And explain why?

Last edited:
Oh god... He's going to argue you to death about this game and anyone who attempts to come at him with BS

I already know the new game will not be as good as melee, but I'm still going to get it because I'm a fan of the series and nintendo in general.

I wont rage just because it isnt exactly like melee, but I really wish they would take things a little more serious. Really hope they dont go the radical way out and shit up the game with their gimicks, or add something even wrose than tripping

I heard in the new one you will randomly explode and lose the match.
Not only that but all of your save data will be deleted.
And your house will be rained upon with hot ass secretions.

You did that for melee? If you did I'm calling you out and calling BS that you were any good. 1,000 dollar money match and I'll come play you in a best of 11.

Or you can try and answer these questions.

What move or strategy in smash is called super ultra ninja cookies

What is european smash DI

And please try and name a better fighter.

And explain why?

First off I didn't say I was a big competitive smash player, I said I know some who competed in tournament and all that jazz. Name a better fighter? I can name plenty, but I'll name the best. Virtua Fighter? Enough said. Why? Because it's the most indepth/balanced fighting game that is taken seriously more than any other. Smash? To me it's just a four player side scrolling party game. That's all it'll ever be to me. I own Mee lee, yes. And I was good at it. My main was Zelda. I also know she is supposedly high tier along with Star Fox. But again. I don't take any of this seriously.

First off I didn't say I was a big competitive smash player, I said I know some who competed in tournament and all that jazz. Name a better fighter? I can name plenty, but I'll name the best. Virtua Fighter? Enough said. Why? Because it's the most indepth/balanced fighting game that is taken seriously more than any other. Smash? To me it's just a four player side scrolling party game. That's all it'll ever be to me. I own Mee lee, yes. And I was good at it. My main was Zelda. I also know she is supposedly high tier along with Star Fox. But again. I don't take any of this seriously.

See you can't talk crap about a game you don't even know anything about. Zelda is not top tier she's low tier.

You know nothing of melee's depth. a DI/SMASHDI system alone kicks most fighters ass.

Lets take a look at JUST the blocking system. I can go SOOO much further with this.

Standard fighter. High block/low block (3-D sidestep). to break high you go low, to break low you go medium. to break a side step you swing horizontally. Give or take a parry system.

SMASH on the other hand. Has high block low block. and you can SHIELD poke them with low pokes and head pokes. if they don't block correctly. ON TOP of this. You can AIM your shield/block in a 360 direction. Why is this important? a good player will AIM their shield AT their opponent so there is a larger window of the time they hit your shield between the time they hit the ground. opening the opportunity for punishment. But if the offender calls it out they can delay their aerial to come out later so there is a super small window or unpunishable. So why not just delay aerial everytime? well because you open yourself to offense to do that.

You can also LIGHT SHIELD. it grows your shield largely, covers your entire body when it's very fresh. How is this shield different? The lighter the shield sure the more of your body it covers, but you also have more "Shield stun" meaning you can't counter attack out of it as fast. light shield also makes you slide farther than normal while blocking aiding you in getting out of pressure situations.

lightshield also stays alive longer while nothing is happening to it, but dies faster when being barrage'd.

Then we got Power shield. If you time your shield just in time. you can powershield thus removing ALL lag from shield drop allowing ANY counter attack you can throw out in time to punish.

you can power shield and reflect projectiles.

You can block approach, Most fighters where you have to hold back to block do not allow this.

As for your side stepping? that's similar to Sidestep in Melee. In a 3-D fighter you just use a horizontal attack swipe. In melee you simply just have to use a move which hitbox stays out a long time. Or you can just wait for the spotdodge to end and punish.

IN Melee you can attack your opponents back, to avoid being grabbed. The movement is FAST than most other games. Melee Fox will APM at 340. 340 buttons a minute. that's like 4-5 buttons a second.

The point is Empress you can't preach negativity toward a game you know absolutely NOTHING about. It doesn't matter if you own it. There are so many advanced techs in Melee, If I named them all, by the time I got to 240, I'm sure I would've forgotten 20-30 more advanced techs I should've mentioned.

I got more we can talk about the Crouch Cancel system.

The Smash DI
DI
Platform Cancel
Edge cancels
Teching
Triangle dodge
Shield drop
jump cancelling
Wavelanding
Wavedashing
Dash dancing
Edgeguard game
Melee's Wake up game
Pressure/Spacing

the fact that melee can combat forward or backwards you're not locked to face your opponent.

or we can talk about
Super ultra ninja cookies
European smash DI
SHDL
PC chris drop
Drop Zone
Tech Chase
Phantom hits
Stalling
Combo system(why it's the best)
The fact that you're playing a different game EVERY SECOND. any time a person gains damage or you gain damage. Your gameplan has to change accordingly to the situation. A Crouch Cancel no longer works once you're like 50%+ So you have to resort to other means to counter attack.

ECT ECT ECT

The list goes on and on.

Last edited:
Dude, I don't care how much know about this game but it will always be silly to me. I also never claimed to know a lot about the "depth" of these games and blah blah. I don't really care. You sound like my cousin. XD

You made your claim right there. I was calling you out on THAT claim.

I'm entitled to me wishing all future smash games are just as deep as melee.

I don't need you telling me the game i played competitively for 7 years is not deep.

BRAWL is not deep. Is it competitive? yes. Is it easy to beat a super top pro? No. But it lacks like 75% of the tools Melee had.

Because of that 1 page essay i'm determined to learn SSBM now..

Melee destroys MK9 in depth, and destroys SFIV in options you have at your exposal.

When it comes to the DI system

You can Directionally influence the direction you fly when you are hit. Thus making your opponent have to follow you in the correct manner. You opponent has to work hard for their combos if you DI correctly.

For instance.

Falcon grabs my Marth. He throws me down.

He can land a knee or N-air on me before I can do anything if I hold the wrong direction.

IF I hold 4/9ths of the way Quarter circle back, while he throws me. I can airdodge out in time before he hits me.

You have control of your character while your being pummeled. If that isn't the best combo system I dunno what is.

You made your claim right there. I was calling you out on THAT claim.

I'm entitled to me wishing all future smash games are just as deep as melee.

I don't need you telling me the game i played competitively for 7 years is not deep.

BRAWL is not deep. Is it competitive? yes. Is it easy to beat a super top pro? No. But it lacks like 75% of the tools Melee had.

That doesn't mean I said it doesn't have depth I was stating that who would expect depth in a game like that or care? Maybe Nintendo changed that not on purposely, but because a game with Mario isn't I'm sure was never meant to been a deep fighter in the first place, but a fun party game like Mario Kart or Mario Party.

Also that super sugar ninja cookie or whatever you said made me able to take it less serious. Who made that sh** up. XD

That doesn't mean I said it doesn't have depth I was stating that who would expect depth in a game like that or care? Maybe Nintendo changed that not on purposely, but because a game with Mario isn't I'm sure was never meant to been a deep fighter in the first place, but a fun party game like Mario Kart or Mario Party.

Also that super sugar ninja cookie or whatever you said made me able to take it less serious. Who made that sh** up. XD

Sakurai ment for it to be deep he admitted it.

L-cancelling and all that stuff was on purpose. In the SSB64 guide it told you to Z-cancel to speed up your aerials.

Wavedashing has a "Name" in the coding meaning it was known in the game and it was given a name.

Lightshield cannot be an accident how do you accidently program stuff like that in?

I don't think Melee was an accident, Sakurai probably didn't expect the grand finals depth we got now when he made it. as some things are exploits like edgecancelling. But the basic advanced techs were intentional.

the guys who made melee knew what they were doing. They made it accessable enough for people who dont have to take it serious (empress) but once looked through hard enough, it can be one of the most technical fighter ever for certain people (critical)

so in the end, there is no "real" way to play it, they made it just right to please everyone and it works. And its a shame that future installments wont be like this. As for myself, I dont play competative, but even I know that this game is the deepest fighter around, and I wouldnt dare call it a joke just because it plays different that your average fighter.