So, MK needs some heroes to fill in KL and LK's spots.

Gud

As it's been assumed for awhile, Kung Lao and Liu Kang have sorta been the two main "heroes" of Mortal Kombat, and both have met their unfortunate ends in this title. So, whom is Raiden to recruit to lead in this upcoming war with the Netherrealm? I think I may just have the idea.

The two survivors from this game were Sonya and Cage, but it hints that Sonya goes sort of rogue and crazed.. So it may not be her. But for the last couple of games, Cage has been hinted at eventually realizing his full potential and become a noble warrior for good. I like this concept and think that the next game may truly be Cage's time to shine. I think Cage could take the supporting main good guy (Kung Lao)'s role, whereas I think Kenshi could take the lead role. It's not a far stretch for him, considering he took a similar role in Armageddon, leading the Forces of Light itself in another timeline. Now that Shang Tsung is dead and gone, Kenshi has nowhere else to focus his aggression and Raiden could use that.

Thoughts/suggestions/etc?

Ah, I considered Kai, Jinko and Taven. However, none of these three I think are as appropriate as Cage and Kenshi.

Taven (even though you didn't mention him) - really serves no more purpose now that Armageddon has been nulled

Shujinko - I'm unsure if Deception's story is even possible now, the Deadly Alliance sure as shit aren't bringing back Onaga's army and so it's hard to tell if Onaga is even going to attempt to fool Shujinko (or anyone for that matter) in order to ascend back to power. Hopefully not, as Shujinko was a terrible character.

Kai - Kai just doesn't seem fit to hold the mantle of lead role of the good guys. He's not all that popular among the fanbase, and just doesn't have that much exposure overall. I think we need characters like Cage and Kenshi, who have had great exposure and large fanbases, to make the "hero" role still seem important.

Ah, I considered Kai, Jinko and Taven. However, none of these three I think are as appropriate as Cage and Kenshi.

Taven (even though you didn't mention him) - really serves no more purpose now that Armageddon has been nulled

Shujinko - I'm unsure if Deception's story is even possible now, the Deadly Alliance sure as shit aren't bringing back Onaga's army and so it's hard to tell if Onaga is even going to attempt to fool Shujinko (or anyone for that matter) in order to ascend back to power. Hopefully not, as Shujinko was a terrible character.

Kai - Kai just doesn't seem fit to hold the mantle of lead role of the good guys. He's not all that popular among the fanbase, and just doesn't have that much exposure overall. I think we need characters like Cage and Kenshi, who have had great exposure and large fanbases, to make the "hero" role still seem important.

Actually Armageddon hasnt exactly been nulled. All Raiden did was stopping Shao Kahn from emrging the victor at Armageddon which in turn stopped his amulet from breaking. Armageddon is inevitable at this point of time.

Also by this time Shujinko has already started searching for the Kamidogu for Onaga and Onaga can control his undefeatable warriors on his own. So the deception storyline is still a possibility.

The reason I didnt mention Taven was because he gets awakened only when armageddon is close.

Also I think since NRS has done such a wonderful job with Kenshi, I believe they will do the same or better with Kai =D

Scopion may find out the truth and turn on Quan chi
Ermac will probably be good in this game
Kenshi, cage and kai
probably will have new characters as well.

Kai, Johnny Cage, Fujin, Kenshi, Ermac, and Shujinko will be the most formidable forces of good in future MK games.

Kai, Johnny Cage, Fujin, Kenshi, Ermac, and Shujinko will be the most formidable forces of good in future MK games.

Yup, these guys are good candidates for being heroes. Also, Li Mei can possible take Kitana's place and maybe even Tanya (if she goes with the good side) or Nitara can take Jade's place.

For Cage to be the real deal next game they gotta fix that friz they call hair on top his head.

Johnny and Sonya will fill Johnny and Sonya's roles. Sonya, despite her loner tendencies, is the biggest 'leader' of the bunch. When you think about it, Liu Kang and Kung Lao never really focus their care and empathy over MANY characters. They're both much more 'star' players than team leaders. Sonya is already the team leader: her connections with Jax, Johnny, Cyrax, Stryker, Kenshi, Raiden, Kuai Liang, Frost (lol), and most likely soon considering his connections, Kabal.

Now, I have full belief that everyone who died will come back. That includes Liu Kang and Kung Lao. HOWEVER. Liu Kang will never be a 'hero' again. I fully believe he will go loony and become evil. If anyone takes his spot, it will either be Kai or Kenshi. Kung Lao will still take the Kung Lao spot.

Sonya doesn't need to be the star player, as she is pretty much the team's leader. Who knew that Frost and Tanya were bad news? Who converted Cyrax and Kenshi to join the Special Forces?

I depends. If dead warriors are to be resurrect / freed from Quan Chi's control then you can just point at Forces of Light's members adding Human Smoke, but if not - there are plenty of chars to replace Kung Lao or Liu Kang - Raiden, Sonya, Cage, Shujinko, Kai, Fujin, Li Mei, Kenshi, Bo Rai Cho, Taven, Cyrax (after being reprogrammed). The leadership has been in Raiden's hands since MK vs DC and it still be that way, he propably be the one to defeat Shinnok (if Shinnok is to be defeated of course) and he's going to stay the main hero (but personally I want him to become corrupted some way). Maybe there will be some ex-evil being redirrected on right path like Sektor (reprogrammed to serve good), Reptile (Raiden gives him a chance to resurrect his race if he joins Earthrealm warriors), Ermac (freed from Shao Kahn's bounds ), Skarlet (the same as Ermac), Jarek/Kira/Kobra (as the first of them in MK4, they will join Earthrealm's side to eliminate common danger), Sheeva (if there's an alliance between Edenians and Shokans) and so on, possiblities are countless and NRS and Boon's imaginary is inpredictable... Here's the thoughts of drunken man :)

Last edited:
The way i see it happening is. Cage and Sonya have survived along with raiden. I can see raiden going on a mission to recover the souls of the heros that died for him. He may even trade his soul to quan chi for the return of the dead heros, this probably will take a lot of time to explain and wont happen until half way through the story mode. This will leave the MAIN story mode down to cage and sonya, mainly cage VS shinnok in Kombat for the realms. Cage trying to save them and Shinnok trying to rule them.

The way i see it happening is. Cage and Sonya have survived along with raiden. I can see raiden going on a mission to recover the souls of the heros that died for him. He may even trade his soul to quan chi for the return of the dead heros, this probably will take a lot of time to explain and wont happen until half way through the story mode. This will leave the MAIN story mode down to cage and sonya, mainly cage VS shinnok in Kombat for the realms. Cage trying to save them and Shinnok trying to rule them.

im sorry man, but cage vs shinnok would be one of the biggest jokes in mk history, you saw how well it went when cage and sonya tried to go up against shao kahn. One big pimp hand to the face and they were out

+ Shinnok almost killed Cage during MKArmageddon events. On the other hand you can ask - so what? In original storyline Kung Lao (improved by Bo Rai Cho's training) was killed by Shang Tsung but alternative-timeline-Lao was able to take out both Shang Tsung and Quan Chi so...

I wouldn't mind Cage becoming the "Big Good", and taking Kung Lao's Place is, get this, Hornebuckle. A new Shaolin Monk who is young, but takes his training a bit too seriously.

Edit: As in, Hornbuckle is a bit too serious/"you shouldn't do that"

I would love for Cage to take Kang's spot. Cage is a lot cooler anyway.

I never saw Kung Lao as one of the main heroes, though. Interesting.

You guys are forgetting about Fujin, he really shined bright in MK4. He will most likely be taking one of the lead places.

Shinnok will escape and attack the Elder Gods, Fujin will attempt to protect them and fall from the heavens. Fujin will have a massive part on the next game.

Besides, hes the next Protector of Earthrealm...