Are you getting the MK1-MK2-UMK3 Kollection.

Are you getting the MK1-MK2-UMK3 Kollection?

• Total voters
Yes, even though I have these games for SNES I will still buy these because my SNES controller sucks and just because its Mortal Kombat, do I have to say more?

LOL. Because you're also acting like they're the same thing when they're not. If the lack of HD is such an issue, why isn't the crappy visuals and sound of the Genesis version an issue? The entire collection is gonna be $10, so I don't really get why you're making a big deal about "buying them again", either. (You're old enough to remember playing them in the arcade where one could EASILY go through $10 in one night, on only one of these games and still not own it.)

Eh, you may not agree with him and I may not agree with him, but what the hell, that's how he feels. Not everyone's going to hold the original arcade versions as dearly as we do and be willing to pay to play them again in a completely unadulterated state. Maybe it's just his nostalgia for the Genesis, which would be pretty easy to understand. Nostalgia is a huge part of a collection like this anyway.

By the way...

6-button-controlpad.png

There's your proper fighting game controller. That thing rules. Still the best D-pad ever made in my opinion. :)

Anyway, I've always longed for arcade-perfect ports/emulations outside of MAME, so I'm sure I'll be sitting here in the middle of the night waiting for it to show up on XBLA.

Eh, you may not agree with him and I may not agree with him, but what the hell, that's how he feels. Not everyone's going to hold the original arcade versions as dearly as we do and be willing to pay to play them again in a completely unadulterated state. Maybe it's just his nostalgia for the Genesis, which would be pretty easy to understand. Nostalgia is a huge part of a collection like this anyway.

By the way...

6-button-controlpad.png

There's your proper fighting game controller. That thing rules. Still the best D-pad ever made in my opinion. :)

Anyway, I've always longed for arcade-perfect ports/emulations outside of MAME, so I'm sure I'll be sitting here in the middle of the night waiting for it to show up on XBLA.

Exactly.
BTW - That's the EXACT 6-button controller that I use on Genesis.

Eks, I was 11 when I played MK 1 in the Arcade but like DCR mentioned, I prefer the Sega Genesis version (even though the quality isn't AS great).
I like the fact that I can still do nostalgic stuff like enter the D, U, L, L, A, R,D and A, B, A, C, A, B, B codes in MK 1 and other stupid little things, like having Rain in UMK3 on my Genesis.

Yeah, I'm gathering there's going to be a age divide on this. Those old enough to play MK1 arcade will be all over this on day one without question. People who's MK experience began on consoles aren't going to get what the fuss is all about and probably pass. I get that, I just hope some of those console folks will decide to see what the fuss IS all about and give it a try. There's a reason us old dudes are so excited about it, after all.

Yeah, I'm gathering there's going to be a age divide on this. Those old enough to play MK1 arcade will be all over this on day one without question. People who's MK experience began on consoles aren't going to get what the fuss is all about and probably pass. I get that, I just hope some of those console folks will decide to see what the fuss IS all about and give it a try. There's a reason us old dudes are so excited about it, after all.

yea after all its not bad to let the youth experience the fun we had 20 years ago.

I could not agree more. I still remember how it felt to see MKI in the arcade for the first time, and just how different it was from everything else. Nothing could compare to the life like characters of MK and the blood and gore or if all, even as tame as it seems now was so shocking. I for one can not wait to get online and play those games again against other people.

I could not agree more. I still remember how it felt to see MKI in the arcade for the first time, and just how different it was from everything else. Nothing could compare to the life like characters of MK and the blood and gore or if all, even as tame as it seems now was so shocking. I for one can not wait to get online and play those games again against other people.

Well put man, I totally agree.

If I can get just UMK3 then I'll get that but if I can't get the individual game and that I must get the entire collection, I'll probably not get it.

By the way...

6-button-controlpad.png

Dude, I freaking love MKII on Genesis. It was my first game ever. I didn't think the sounds or visuals looked bad. I mean I loved going to the arcade every weekend and playing there, but my console version was just fine. :)

Can't tell me those drums don't sounds crisp as hell!

By the way...

6-button-controlpad.png

Maybe, but if it's just a nostalgia kick he's looking for, then he wouldn't make an issue of the HD aspect, either.

And the D-pad on that controller is cool, but the button layout SUCKS for MK, especially UMK3. And that's more what I was getting at.

Can't tell me those drums don't sounds crisp as hell!

They're not bad for the Genesis, but compared to the arcade, they're horrible. One of the best things about the arcade version of MKII is the music.

Maybe, but if it's just a nostalgia kick he's looking for, then he wouldn't make an issue of the HD aspect, either.

And the D-pad on that controller is cool, but the button layout SUCKS for MK, especially UMK3. And that's more what I was getting at.

They're not bad for the Genesis, but compared to the arcade, they're horrible. One of the best things about the arcade version of MKII is the music.

Don't hate on the Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts was like the best game ever

Don't hate on the Genesis Ghouls n Ghosts was like the best game ever

I don't hate the Genesis. It's one of the greatest systems in history, but fighting games on the 16-bit systems were horrible compared to the arcade counter-parts.

I don't hate the Genesis. It's one of the greatest systems in history, but fighting games on the 16-bit systems were horrible compared to the arcade counter-parts.

Nevermind I didn't read all your posts and btw that woosh smoke teleport is like the greatest teleport sound ever

My whole point with the Kollection NOT being done in HD is that it was a letdown.
I prefer to play the Sega versions of the games with the option to make my difficulty Harder and subtract less continues if I'd like.

The PS3 / 360 port will be just that: An Arcade PORT.

No options menu, no way to make the difficulty harder AND no way to customize MK the way you'd like, as I can on my Sega Genesis.

ONCE AGAIN, this is just MY PREFERENCE.
Please stop bashing me for it. :|

Last edited:
No one's bashing you, they're just pointing out your preference is graphically and audio-wise very subpar when compared to the arcade originals.

If you like them, that's fine. It doesn't mean they aren't subpar versions of the game nor does it make pointing that out "bashing". Stating 16 bit versions of games aren't as good as arcade versions is just stating fact. The NES version of Punch-Out is a classic game but the original arcade version blows it away in all aspects. Most people don't even know there was an arcade version, so preferring the 8 bit version is fine. That's not the case with MK games. Not only do people know they exist, they were some of the best arcade games of all time. They should be played with the best representation possible.

Also, I would guess that this release will probably have some overall settings menu where difficulty can be adjusted. I can't imagine anyone releasing any game without a difficulty option, especially a fighting game. The arcade units did have a dip switch to adjust it, but most were set high enough to ensure people would need to spend enough quarters to make the game profitable.

Reactions: Eks
No options menu, no way to make the difficulty harder AND no way to customize MK the way you'd like, as I can on my Sega Genesis.

You don't know if any of this is true, and it's probably not true. They had difficulty adjustments in the arcade and having a simple script to remap the controls is easy. (If they can do it with MAME, there's no reason they can't do it on the PS3/360.) There's also the added benefit of online play, Achievements/Trophies, etc. None of this may matter to you, but it certain isn't something that makes the games any worse.

ONCE AGAIN, this is just MY PREFERENCE.
Please stop bashing me for it. :|

I'm not bashing you. I'm pointing out the contradictions in your posts.

Anyway. I doubt you'll pass this up, and you shouldn't. The whole collection is $10, and believe me, there's a big difference between these games and the Genesis games, so you'd only be shorting yourself by skipping them. :)

Exactly @ [sek] :biggrin: