Online MK Tournament!

Sheva-Saibot

I feel like hosting a tournament, so, I think I will! Anyone is in, the system of choice being ps3, and if the numbers are odd or not fit for an even bracket, I will do pools.

Free to enter, prize is a $20 PSN card.

Rules:
1. Cyrax UMK3 alternate is banned because it is still able to do bomb traps in that costume (critical-limit)
2. No banned characters
3. Friendly matches please, anybody trash talking in the MK room or Conversation room will be dropped from the tournament
4. Matches are a best 2 out of 3 double elimination, finals being best 3 of 5, report the score in the conversation room
5. Have fun.

Pools will begin July 1st (if needed). They will last a week until July 8th. July 8th, starting at 2pm EST, I will send out invites to the top 2 people from each pool for the bracket matches. I will start a room in MK, feel free to use it, private matches are fine. Post your own results here for the pools by July 7th, in this fashion:

PSN name won xW/xL in pool x

(borrowed from Critical - Limit):
Pools:
for anyone unfamiliar with pools this how it works.

Let us assume we have 43 people, and we want this to be a 16 man bracket. That means 16 people out of 43 are the only people who are going to make it out of pools.

we would have 8 groups, with the top 2 making it out(EX: 2x8=16) you divide 43 by 8 to get how many people are in each group. 5 people in each group, 3 of the 8 groups will have 6 instead of 5. First tournament should be a random draw.

As more tournaments accumulate. You give a point system so REALLY good players don't end up in the same pool as another REALLY good player later. For example... it'd be pretty lame to have tom brady/ Perfect Legend/ Justin Wong all the in same pool, all 3 of them are top 3 material, and one of them wouldn't even make it into bracket? that's ridiculous.

So... this is how pools works once you make the groups...

Let us pretend
Me/GreenGiant/robyn/saibotmk/backbackbacklowpunch are all in the same pool.

We would each fight eachother Best of 3(Of best of 3). The top 2 with the best record make it into bracket. NOW... don't be satisfied with knowing you're second place in your pool... that means you gotta fight the TOP dog of another pool in round 1 bracket.

Pool 1:
Kung Lao 0-wins 1-loss
Critical-Limit 0-wins 1-loss
Popmaster501 0-wins 0-loss
FlawlessVictory 0-wins 0-loss
Ames32 2-wins 0-loss

Pool 2:
Zentrix 0-wins 1-loss
Matt Wilson 0-wins 0-loss
Major Logan 2-wins 0-loss
Armon 24 0-wins 1-loss
And myself 1-wins 1-loss

Last edited:
Sheva this sounds reall good i would like to maybe hellp out
by giving the winer a 20 dollar psn card i cant do like 10.000 lol
its not much but its somthing right
i would allso love to sighn up but im not all that good

Pools will start July 1st, give a week for the pools to determine the top 2 and then July 8th will be the 16-bracket.

Agh, I would love to get into this. Can't wait for it to start!

The Raleigh Qualifyers are pretty much impossible now that we can't sign into PSN on a computer to get our ID's.

Yes! A tournement I can join! The others ones I was to late. Sign me up!!!!!!!!

My PSN is anizzle1

Sign me up i'll play.

PSN: Critical__Limit

@OP: you should detail the tournament thread a little better.
Perhaps steal the tournament rules that EVO uses. Such as you know UMK3 Cyrax costume being banned because it still has the bomb traps present.

Also should develop and tell people how the counter system would work in a best of 3.

Such as First game you pick your characters. If one player wishes to do a blind pick then they must do so. Aka use the hidden cursor, or if you trust your opponent just agree to have a character in mind before moving the cursor then you both just go straight to the character and pick it.

Game2: Winner picks their character, then Loser picks theirs.
If you don't like giving the loser the counterpick, you can have them LOCKED to their character the whole game but I don't advise it. It makes it so people who mastered more than 1 character for matchups don't get the advantage they trained for.

Game3: same as game 2 but using game 2's results.

Just go into more detail about the game :D IF you want i can just make a post then you can quote it.

But just find EVO/Big tournament offline rules and copy that imo.

Should also have put July 1st. In the title of the thread. Date is very important to people.

EDIT:
Should also state whether this is a 1 day all day deal. Or is this a Meet up and play according to schedule deal. Should do the 1 day all day deal so people can get days off.

IMO July1st is too early people need 2 weeks notice sometimes to get a day off.

put it the 2nd friday in july the 8th. Also what time do people need to be on if it's suppose to all be done on 1 day.

Last edited:
I think pools could be done over the course of the weekend. (If it needs to be done). As in people who can't do it friday can do it saturday. ect.

but the actual day of tournament(Bracket). Should be all in one day.

IMO.

Would also be groovy if someone with capture equipment could record grand finals. I have capture equipment myself but if I did it we'd have to run KotH so I can spectate then record. which would be a mess and would add to lag.

hay sheva i'm sry i really dont get what this is it a tourny that u pay to get into and win the prize at the end

or

is it a tourny that u just play and add to the pot if u want.

or is it totally different.

i'll join but i dont know if i can give anything.

sheva wanted to just host a tournament online it was my idea to give the winer of the tournament a 20 $ PSN card free of charge the psn card will be coming frome me just wanted to add a prize for the good Folks of this forum who win :) person rather..

Last edited:
oh ok thank u dude now my only question when and at what time.

he posted it's not obvious. First week of july (1st of july) for pools(to see who makes bracket)

then then the following weekend july 8th for bracket.

he's gonna update his first post with better information here soon.