Underrated Games

Castlevania Lords of Shadows.

I seriously don't know how I missed this game an year ago or why it wasn't very well known. This game is the best action adventure game I played upto date. Stunning visuals (the best I have seen in a ps3 game), amazing melodramatic music, exellent voice acting, impressive and strategic gameplay offering over 20 hrs of playtime, it was sure as hell my money's worth. And to compliment it all, a jaw dropping insane ending!

I would not have come cross this gem if it wasn't for bbblp and Wraith talking about it in the castlevania thread and since I generally like the stuff bbblp likes I decided to give it a shot and I was more than impressed.

I am guessing this game got a bad rep due to the fact the fans of other games 'claim' that it is just a mish mash of various games put together, especially GOW fans. I really don't know where they are getting this from, almost all games in this genre have similar features and its not like GOW is all original either.
Another thing I liked is that this game is quite challenging even on easier modes which makes the whole experience alot more rewarding imo. Also the story, (although not quite unique) just immerses you into the Gabriel's(the main character) world and there is always an inclination to comeback and play more to unravel his destiny.

The combat is quite intriguing as well. On the face of it, it seems to play similar to GOW but the similarities end there. You really need to study the attack patterns of your foes to evade and attack and you got to capitalise on their weakness by using the appropriate secondary weapons to make quick work of them. Also later on in the game you will have the options to play defensively or offensively based on the two types of magic you acquire which in turn unlocks various other combos and secondary weapon buffs which come in handy in various situations. And unlike most other games I found myself actually usually almost all of the combos I bought/unlocked. All this coupled with some Assasin's creed platforming, some epic boss and titan battles makes this a truly remarkable experience. I recommend this game to everyone, especially those who like the action adventure genre. Its available both on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

UFC 3. It got good reviews but has kinda slipped under the radar and gone unnoticed for the most part. The fight mechanics are interesting (loosely similar to MK9). Menu graphics are shotty but the in cage fight graphics look great. Plus there's blood! And a whole bunch of loading:( @ Jinko- Lords of Shadow was a great game! But then again I'm a Castlevania fanboy.

Castlevania Lords of Shadows.

*snip*

I thought Lord of Shadows was praised, although many regard the 2D games such as Symphony of Night as the epitome of the series. I think the use of the quick-time events is the reason why people compared to GOW is the use of quick-time events (QTE), although QTEs have been in video games since the 80s.

Last edited:
I thought Lord of Shadows was praised, although many regard 2D games such as Symphony of Night as the epitome series. I think the use of the quick-time events is the reason why people compared to GOW is the use of quick-time events (QTE), although QTEs have been in video games since the 80s.
Yea SOTN is the game that defines the series. However Lords of shadow is a good standalone 3D castlevania game in its own right, even though it hardly has any of the elements of the previous games. The QTE's are not really that bothersome or apparent in my experience. They hardly go beyond 2 buttons. I think another reason people complained that it was a GOW was the similarity in the application of Gabriel's combat cross and Kratos' blades, even though the combat cross is nothing but a modified whip, the main weapon in previous castlevanis games.

Tao Feng

Space Hulk (3DO) - I wish they'd remake this with awesome graphics, better weapon mechanics, but keep the "Aliens" turn-like strategy and tension it had.

Killer 7

Rumble Roses XX - I know, I know, but wait. It had customizability, all well-rendered female characters, all fetishes covered, and lots of different grappling moves for each character.

Quake - Also wish they'd re-release it with updated graphics.

Carmageddon and Quarantine (PC)

MK: Shaolin Monks

UFC (for PS2) - The striking system was simple but the ground game was more involved than any newer UFC games.

Justice League for PS2

Just Cause 2.
You don't hear people talking too much about Just Cause 2, despite it being a really fun and awesome sandbox game.