Escaping Pressure(Basic Defensive Options FAQ Thread)

I got beat by a coupla guys tonight doing that whole "jp, jab jab, jump over punch, jab jab" repeat. It was like I couldn't escape this constant pressure with a low job or a neutral punch. Any advice on how to escape this pressure?

I got beat by a coupla guys tonight doing that whole "jp, jab jab, jump over punch, jab jab" repeat. It was like I couldn't escape this constant pressure with a low job or a neutral punch. Any advice on how to escape this pressure?

would help alot to know what characters were in this scenario.

@Flagg, In A Situation Like Such, The Best Thing To Do Is Crouch And Go For An Uppercut With Timing. If That Is Too Risky, At Least Jump Kick Them, Or Jump In The Opposite Direction. Very Few Characters Like Ermac, Jax, Cyrax, Scorpion ,Smoke, Sheeva, Noob Have Abilities To Anti-Air With Their Special Moves.

Sindel Can Projectile While In Air, Or Scream If Timed Right. Ermac Can Force Lift Right Before They Hit To Lift Them Into A Combo Opening. Thus, Sheeva And Jax Can Easily Anti-Air-Grab Them In This Situation. If Using A Melee Range Fighter Like Johnny Cage, Flip-Kick (Down-Back-3) And Pop-Ups Are Your Best Choice. ALL Of The Robots Can Punish This Jump Punch Technique With Ease.

It's All About The Character That You're Using. I'd Suggest To Jump The Opposite Direction So They Cannot Land A Combo And One Can Be At A Distance From The Opponent.

If You Fail To Initiate The Special Moves, Uppercut*/Jumping Away Is The Route To Go.

Skarlet Has The Best Counters For This Type Of Lock-In Technique.

*Keep In Mind, Not All Characters Have The Same Uppercut Speed.
*Sonya Has The Fastest Uppercut, Meanwhile Baraka Has The Slowest.

Last edited:
would help alot to know what characters were in this scenario.

The first guy I played, I was Baraka, then Nightwolf and he was Reptile. It was JP, jab, jab, jump over onto the other side JP, repeat. Kept doing this all the while I blocked, the second i'd go for some sort of interuption like a low jap or a jump, he got hit confirm which turned into a combo.

The second guy was doing this to me with Cyrax and Scorpion (I was Baraka, then Sindel), almost the same stuff, kept on until I let go of block to try a defensive option. Frustratingly I came close to beating these guys, only to get caught in this seeming trap which caused me to eat a massive combo the second I tried to fight back.

I know it's a tactic and im sure there is a way out of everything, but this really had me flumuxed last night.

I dunno, perhaps I wasn't reading the strings properly or something.

@Flagg, In A Situation Like Such, The Best Thing To Do Is Crouch And Go For An Uppercut With Timing. If That Is Too Risky, At Least Jump Kick Them, Or Jump In The Opposite Direction. Very Few Characters Like Ermac, Jax, Cyrax, Scorpion ,Smoke, Sheeva, Noob Have Abilities To Anti-Air With Their Special Moves.

Sindel Can Projectile While In Air, Or Scream If Timed Right. Ermac Can Force Lift Right Before They Hit To Lift Them Into A Combo Opening. Thus, Sheeva And Jax Can Easily Anti-Air-Grab Them In This Situation. If Using A Melee Range Fighter Like Johnny Cage, Flip-Kick (Down-Back-3) And Pop-Ups Are Your Best Choice. ALL Of The Robots Can Punish This Jump Punch Technique With Ease.

It's All About The Character That You're Using. I'd Suggest To Jump The Opposite Direction So That Cannot Land A Combo And One Can Be At A Distance From The Opponent.

If You Fail To Initiate The Special Moves, Uppercut*/Jumping Away Is The Route To Go.

Skarlet Has The Best Counters For This Type Of Lock-In Technique.

*Keep In Mind, Not All Characters Have The Same Uppercut Speed.
*Sonya Has The Fastest Uppercut, Meanwhile Baraka Has The Slowest.

Lock in technique seems quite appropriate, as this felt like what I was in.

I use about 5 characters fairly proficiently, but my stronger ones right now are Baraka, Sindel and Nightwolf.

Nightwolf is a fantastic character to deal with pressure.

His shoulder pretty much pushes the opponent back, is pretty fast on start and very safe on block, and pretty much ALL his enhanced moves have armor. Enhanced choke is quite a efficient way to end pressure.

It is very, very hard for an opponent to keep the pressure on against Nightwolf, but I actually Reptile is one of the very few who can do it since some of his special are not very punishable IMO

So just a combo?

No not simlpy a combo

A string is your 2-3 hit "combos" but when you do a "Juggle" combo that whole thing isn't called a string.

A string is just the 2-3 hit ones that are LABELED in your command list.

Long combos like the 40% ones that need special attacks are "combos" not Strings"

Basically for a huge combo you use strings to juggle them, or launch them.

For instance.

Subzero's 2,1,2 is a string. You can cancel 2 into a fast freeze to catch them mid air. you dash in do B1(whiff),2(another String) 2,1,2(another string) into slide.

ALL of that is a single combo, but it consisted of 3 strings.

get it?

The sense used in this Thread is pressure "Strings"

like when you do those Strings "attacking their block"

Since your using your strings, but you're not really hitting them. It's not a combo. but you're still using a string.

I get it. When you mentioned canceling the 2 for sub zero are you saying you're freezing directly after the last 2?

I get it. When you mentioned canceling the 2 for sub zero are you saying you're freezing directly after the last 2?

You're cancelling your last move into freeze. By inputting it a bit early before your string is done. you'll get the timing down. When you do 2,1,2 freeze. The iceball should catch them mid air before they hit the ground. Just practice the timing. you gotta do it earlier than you think.

is there anyway of getting out of cyraxs command grab stun before he Jips or do i just have to sit there and take it.

this guy keeps mind fukking me with 2,1, 2,1,net, 2,1,2 and 2,1, command grab.. JIP 2,1 blah repeat pressure,
if i think he's gonna net,and stay on block he grabs me and puts me back into the same situation..
then if ithink he's gonna go for the grab i let go of block and try to interupt only to get netted.. for a 70% reset...blah! ef cyrax!

i hadnt come across this before and i was quite stuck, it made me real salty that i couldnt get out of it.

is there anyway of getting out of cyraxs command grab stun before he Jips or do i just have to sit there and take it.

this guy keeps mind fukking me with 2,1, 2,1,net, 2,1,2 and 2,1, command grab.. JIP 2,1 blah repeat pressure,
if i think he's gonna net,and stay on block he grabs me and puts me back into the same situation..
then if ithink he's gonna go for the grab i let go of block and try to interupt only to get netted.. for a 70% reset...blah! ef cyrax!

i hadnt come across this before and i was quite stuck, it made me real salty that i couldnt get out of it.

If he hits you with the command throw he is guaranteed a jump in attempt. If you know he is going for another grab you can duck without blocking after the jump in...that's really the only thing I know to do.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk