Tips for landing combos on moving targets and dealing with agile characters?

CannedBullets

I play as Sub-Zero and Scorpion and I find it hard to land combos on moving targets also I have trouble with agile characters and teleport and projectile spammers, any tips on them also?

Well, for the agile characters you have to learn to be agile yourself. There are barely any characters in the game that could be clasified as "not agile" because the way the dashing system is set up. You could cancel any dash with any attack or a block. So this means you could be constantly back dashing and forward dashing the whole entire round. Learn the range of all your normal moves and try to dash into those distances before attacking. Don't let other people's agility intimidate you, know that you are capable of it too even as Sub Zero and Scorpion.
And also remember that being agile doesn't mean jumping around like a maniac. Try to keep your jumping at a minimum.

And about teleports: try to catch on to when your opponent likes to do it. Does he do it when he is waking up? When you are at a certain distance? The more you are looking out for it the less it'll catch you off guard. And if you see a teleport coming you could punish it according to what character it is.

Projectiles: Dash block. Don't try to jump over... every... single projectile. It's just not a good idea and it becomes very predictable. This doesn't mean that jumping over some projectiles isnt a good idea, but dash blocking(dashing in between projectiles then blocking the next one) is the best idea 90% of the time. Most characters also have a way to get around projectiles, whether it be a teleport, a divekick, or something else. Throw out this character specific option rarely, usually these options are punishable so you dont want the opponent to block and punish you. Its just not worth it

Hope this helped.

You forgot not to be an a$$, right?
lol

I could be worse. Plus, that's one in over 200 posts, so it's not that bad... I guess...

Edit: got a -rep just because I actually thought that some new guy with 2 posts asking how to play a fighting game was trolling... guess I was asking for it.

Last edited:
I play as Sub-Zero and Scorpion and I find it hard to land combos on moving targets also I have trouble with agile characters and teleport and projectile spammers, any tips on them also?

Dash forward than surprise them with a special. sub zero ice clone or scorpion teleport or spear, but really those two characters you fight with are really easy to use just think of a strategy

I could be worse. Plus, that's one in over 200 posts, so it's not that bad... I guess...

Edit: got a -rep just because I actually thought that some new guy with 2 posts asking how to play a fighting game was trolling... guess I was asking for it.

You are new yourself too so I wouldnt be talking

Okay, now how do I deal with Ermac? Seriously **** Ermac, cheapest character in the game.

And what about people who just keep jumping? And seriously you should not be able to take damage when you block.

Last edited:
Okay, now how do I deal with Ermac? Seriously **** Ermac, cheapest character in the game.

And what about people who just keep jumping? And seriously you should not be able to take damage when you block.

Ermac is one the most punishable characters in the game. Seriously dude is a punching bag. Wait till he uses one of his tekekinetic moves, block, then just walk up and start a combo.

Chip damage is essential in this game. Or else you could just block the whole match, and tech grabs when someone tries to grab you. No chip damage = stupid.

Chip damage is essential in this game. Or else you could just block the whole match, and tech grabs when someone tries to grab you. No chip damage = stupid.
Sorry but no. You wouldn't be able to block the whole match. It would be more about mixups and outsmarting your opponent instead of just brute force. No chip damage would make this game more competitive. I think there should only be chip damage from specials.

Sorry but no. You wouldn't be able to block the whole match. It would be more about mixups and outsmarting your opponent instead of just brute force. No chip damage would make this game more competitive. I think there should only be chip damage from specials.

That's basically how it is now. I've honestly never seen a match won by just chip damage. It's not a humongous factor in a match, it just encourages punishing/tick grabbing/etc. Instead of turtling. There would be no point in pressure characters, zoners would reign supreme. What's the point of playing someone like Johnny (who has pretty much NO mixup game minus 2 hits in only 2 strings) when you can just pick Noob, zone your opponent and even if they block dash/ or just crouch block you'll still win the match. Pressure characters thrive on chip damage. Without it they're useless.

Okay, what about characters that just spam keep doing jumping attacks like every female character in the game? Sub Zero seems to suck against them.

You need to be more defensive and it doesn't seem like you are. Sub-zero really isn't the best rusher.

My first character I picked up was Mileena. She is a decent rusher with good high and low mix ups. You might wanna pick her up to start and learn how to juggle in this game and link up specials to your combos. She also taught me how to utilize EX moves in combos.

If not her, your best bet is to pick through every single character and see how they fight with their moveset and specials in training. Once you pick a character, practice with them for a good hour or so. Give yourself some time to know how they play and then take them online. Don't be discouraged if you start losing.... I picked up Skarlet and I wasn't too decent with her until I kept fighting online. Just takes practice.

DON'T keep switching characters. Get good with one character, and once you understand how the game works and people play online, that is when you can flesh out into other characters and have more diversity.