Official Kenshi Discussion * All Kenshi Related Topics Go Here

Re: What do you think Kenshi will be like?

I really, really cannot wait for Kenshi! He, Shujinko and Havik were my favorite characters from the PS2 era. I hope he gets a vignette before his release explaining how he got blind (which we do know was because of Shang Tsung's treachery, but I'd still to like to get a visual representation of it). Tom Brady said that Kenshi will play totally different this time around, with a much greater emphasis on him being a swordsman. That's how he should play, too, considering the fact that he didn't even meet Ermac until Deadly Alliance, so logically, he shouldn't even have the power of telekinesis yet.

Ed Boon tweeted a while back, "Kenshi Fatalities= Nastiness", so I think he'll have some awesome fatalities! Usually when Ed Boon seems excited while talking about a character's fatality or if he has to comment on how gruesome it is(both of Kung Lao's fatalities, Kabal's It Takes Guts fatality while we saw Kabal's 1st fatality during his reveal on GameTrailers), they are really good ones. His Babality will be interesting; I don't think he'll end up crying like a lot of the other character's Babalities if he still has his blindfold on as a baby. Looking forward to seeing his intro/win pose, bio/arcade ending, X-Ray and playstyle/special moves!

I'm not quite sure why everyone has counted out Kenshi's telekinesis due to timeline continuity issues.

1) Show me where it says DLC has to happen during story mode.

2) Name the game where timeline continuities have stopped Ed Boon.

3) I know Mortal Kombat isn't real. But if we were to think on a margin of reality, no one just learns telekinesis. Kenshi must have had some sort of latent powers before meeting Ermac. And I bet if you look deep into his story, hint hint, you'll find out that he did.

I'm pretty damn positive Kenshi is going to have telekinesis on top of his swordsmanship. My take on it, a take that I'm sure has crossed the minds at work at NRS, is that he uses his latent telekinesis to move his swords rather than his enemies. This way we won't have an Ermac clone, but we won't have a Baraka clone either. We'll have a character that functions in entirely new and original ways.

I'm not quite sure why everyone has counted out Kenshi's telekinesis due to timeline continuity issues.

1) Show me where it says DLC has to happen during story mode.

2) Name the game where timeline continuities have stopped Ed Boon.

3) I know Mortal Kombat isn't real. But if we were to think on a margin of reality, no one just learns telekinesis. Kenshi must have had some sort of latent powers before meeting Ermac. And I bet if you look deep into his story, hint hint, you'll find out that he did.

I'm pretty damn positive Kenshi is going to have telekinesis on top of his swordsmanship. My take on it, a take that I'm sure has crossed the minds at work at NRS, is that he uses his latent telekinesis to move his swords rather than his enemies. This way we won't have an Ermac clone, but we won't have a Baraka clone either. We'll have a character that functions in entirely new and original ways.
Tom Brady (a game tester for MK, not the QB for the Patriots) already confirmed he will play totally different this time, with much more emphasis on him being a swordsman. He might, I repeat, might have 1 or 2 moves involving telekinesis, but I seriously doubt it. Also, Ermac and Kenshi haven't even met yet, considering Ermac is still under Kahn's control in Earthrealm, or if you go by his ending, heading to Outworld to reunite and Kitana and Sindel (who we know are dead, but Ermac doesn't know that yet). Also, Kenshi doesn't know yet that he has latent telekineic powers.

Lastly, of course, DLC for this game has to follow the MK9 storyline or only shortly after or before and not be way in the future; I don't really see how this can be argued. His ending might have to something to do with Ermac or gaining telekinetic powers, though. You can't compare this game to previous considering they are doing things differently this time around, and I don't recall time continuity issues ever being ignored by Midway in the first place.

I want him to be a true swordsman, however I'll be sad if he doesn't have Tele-furry and Tele-push - those two moves are his trademark and unique to him only.

I think Kenshi will be an interesting character. With the emphasis on him being a swordsman this time around and not so much on his psychic abilities, it should be interesting to see what sort of moves they have planned. I'm thinking his sword will be incorperated into combos and specials more than normal strikes, since it would probably give him quite a reach advantage. Another thing I was wondering is if they will stick to his Tai Chi stance he had in DA and Deception, or if they plan to make him face his opponent. It would make sense to have him keep his old stance due to the fact that he is blind, but who knows? Regardless, I'm much more excited for him than Skarlet, and hope he comes out sooner than later!

Tom Brady (a game tester for MK, not the QB for the Patriots) already confirmed he will play totally different this time, with much more emphasis on him being a swordsman.

You don't have to explain that to me. I'm the one you found that out from in the first place. I posted the details in the "Patch Notes" thread. You even replied:
Great news for Kenshi

I heard it directly, and I can tell you that the way Tom Brady talked about Kenshi did not imply he is going to lack telekinesis. I don't know where you are getting that:

1) Kenshi might have two moves tops with telekinesis.

2) Ermac's ending is semi-canon

I hope I'm not coming off like I'm arguing. I'm just curious as to whether you know something I don't know, or if you made those details up.

I want him to be a true swordsman, however I'll be sad if he doesn't have Tele-furry and Tele-push - those two moves are his trademark and unique to him only.

Didn't Ermac steal his Tele-push in MK9? If Kenshi does indeed have some telekinetic powers to compliment his skills as a swordsman it's a bit less likely that Kenshi will have Tele-push too. Telekinetic Toss might be a better choice since Ermac doesn't already have that move in this game.

Didn't Ermac steal his Tele-push in MK9? If Kenshi does indeed have some telekinetic powers to compliment his skills as a swordsman it's a bit less likely that Kenshi will have Tele-push too. Telekinetic Toss might be a better choice since Ermac doesn't already have that move in this game.

I agree that it is highly unlikely NRS wants to duplicate Ermac's telekenetic powers for Kenshi, but Kenshi's Tele-push was more or less just that; a push. Ermac lifts and holds you first, whereas Kenshi's is a quick shove that sends the opponent rolling. I'm not sure how NRS will incorperate Kenshi's psychic powers, but it could work if they just went with the shove he had in the 3D games. If they gave him the toss though, I'm sure it could set up some nice combos if he gets stuck in the corner.

Another thing I'm curious about is if they will add his teleport he had in Armageddon. It would probably be similar to Raiden's, though I doubt it would be as quick.

I agree that it is highly unlikely NRS wants to duplicate Ermac's telekenetic powers for Kenshi, but Kenshi's Tele-push was more or less just that; a push. Ermac lifts and holds you first, whereas Kenshi's is a quick shove that sends the opponent rolling. I'm not sure how NRS will incorperate Kenshi's psychic powers, but it could work if they just went with the shove he had in the 3D games. If they gave him the toss though, I'm sure it could set up some nice combos if he gets stuck in the corner.

Another thing I'm curious about is if they will add his teleport he had in Armageddon. It would probably be similar to Raiden's, though I doubt it would be as quick.

I almost wouldn't mind if his teleport was the only ability he had outside of his skill with a sword. It could be his first signs of latent telekinetic ability. It would also help fill the void left by his lack of projectile attacks. He'd be able to close distance well, a concern I've harbored about his upcoming appearance. Just something that came to mind.

I almost wouldn't mind if his teleport was the only ability he had outside of his skill with a sword. It could be his first signs of latent telekinetic ability. It would also help fill the void left by his lack of projectile attacks. He'd be able to close distance well, a concern I've harbored about his upcoming appearance. Just something that came to mind.

Maybe Kenshi is strenght enough to use his telekinesis to move, toss and bring back his sword but not to move or push a person, because he didnt have enough training, that could be a good explanation, it will give him a projectile and he will avoid being an ermac copy.

You don't have to explain that to me. I'm the one you found that out from in the first place. I posted the details in the "Patch Notes" thread. You even replied:

I heard it directly, and I can tell you that the way Tom Brady talked about Kenshi did not imply he is going to lack telekinesis. I don't know where you are getting that:

1) Kenshi might have two moves tops with telekinesis.

2) Ermac's ending is semi-canon

I hope I'm not coming off like I'm arguing. I'm just curious as to whether you know something I don't know, or if you made those details up.
Sorry, didn't know that you already knew.

And I should have put Ermac's ending was "likely" semi-canon. The non-canon parts him reuniting with Sindel and Kitana and ruling Edenia alongside them, since both are under Quan Chi's control and Edenia is still merged with Outworld. The canon parts are Shao Kahn being dead, Ermac no longer being bound to him, and (likely) King Jerrod being the dominant soul of Ermac. And when I said that Kenshi might two telekinetic moves tops, I was purely speculating, I wasn't trying to say anything as fact if that's how I came off to you. It was purely speculation. I have a bad habit of doing that, posing my speculations as fact even if I don't try to.

I didn't and couldn't watch the stream considering I wasn't near a desktop at the time and only on my phone, so I can't speculate whether Tom Brady meant that Kenshi is actually lacking telekinesis in his special moves or not because I never saw it.

Sorry, didn't know that you already knew.

And I should have put Ermac's ending was "likely" semi-canon. The non-canon parts him reuniting with Sindel and Kitana and ruling Edenia alongside them, since both are under Quan Chi's control and Edenia is still merged with Outworld. The canon parts are Shao Kahn being dead, Ermac no longer being bound to him, and (likely) King Jerrod being the dominant soul of Ermac. And when I said that Kenshi might two telekinetic moves tops, I was purely speculating, I wasn't trying to say anything as fact if that's how I came off to you. It was purely speculation. I have a bad habit of doing that, posing my speculations as fact even if I don't try to.

I didn't and couldn't watch the stream considering I wasn't near a desktop at the time and only on my phone, so I can't speculate whether Tom Brady meant that Kenshi is actually lacking telekinesis in his special moves or not because I never saw it.

Got you, I was just curious.

Disregarding what Tom Brady said, which would you prefer for Kenshi?

1) Absolutely no telekinesis; just a pure swordsman?

2) Telekinesis in the form of moving his swords, but not his opponent?

I think I would prefer the latter. Having too much telekinesis would make Kenshi an Ermac clone, I agree. However, I feel that going to the other extreme and giving him absolutely no telekinesis would be detrimental to his character as well. Having just swords would make Kenshi a Baraka clone.

A happy medium would be a swordsman who could move his swords with telekinesis. It would be something no fighting game has ever done before. And it would certainly make for some interesting zoning.

Last edited:

My point is that on the first page of this thread, people were asking about it.

Got you, I was just curious.

Disregarding what Tom Brady said, which would you prefer for Kenshi?

1) Absolutely no telekinesis; just a pure swordsman?

2) Telekinesis in the form of moving his swords, but not his opponent?

I think I would prefer the latter. Having too much telekinesis would make Kenshi an Ermac clone, I agree. However, I feel that going to the other extreme and giving him absolutely no telekinesis would be detrimental to his character as well. Having just swords would make Kenshi a Baraka clone.

A happy medium would be a swordsman who could move his swords with telekinesis. It would be something no fighting game has ever done before. And it would certainly make for some interesting zoning.
I would prefer him using telekinesis to complement his swordsman, along with the Tele-Flurry and Mind Warp. Mainly because I can't completely see him using just swords without looking kind of bland. Kenshi isn't just a blind swordsman, he's a spiritual warrior, too, considering almost everything he is about has to do with spirits (him wanting to kill Shang Tsung, how he became blind, and his "sense of sight" after his imminent blindness), I would like them to touch on that, too.

I just wonder if Stryker's X-ray will make a lot of damage to Kenshi... It'll be a good detail if it didn't lol

I just wonder if Stryker's X-ray will make a lot of damage to Kenshi... It'll be a good detail if it didn't lol

Lol a nice thought. It'd kill the balance, but it's definitely an amusing line of thought.

Kenshi Discussion * All Kenshi Related Topics Go Here

What about about kenshi.

Attachments

• kenshi_render_01.jpg
    kenshi_render_01.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 107
Re: Kenshi Discussion * All Kenshi Related Topics Go Here

I'm really pumped for Kenshi, especially after hearing about the increased focus on his skill as a swordsman. I always liked his character and think he could be fantastic as a fighter and a character if NRS gives him his due this time around. =)