Anyone have a gameplay video of...?

Have you seen a good well played Stryker gameplay video?

• Total voters
ok, so after about 15 mintues i can get his first bnb (33% btw) down pat. b+1,2,2, njp,dash,1,2xxgunshot, dash, D+2, 37% with jumpin (and he has bad bnb?s, this is his lowest one listed and its quite easy! easier then kano or repties were for me at least)

next ones trickier as it requires a D+3 for the last split second lift to nail your roll toss (untechable grab btw, VERY useful)

basically you have to time your 1,2xxgunshot so hes not too high in the air when you start inputting after the njp, or else teh gunshot will whiff. negative edge works in your favor here as i find i can 1,2,xxB,F and hold forward and my gun comes out without having to press 1 making it MUCH easier to get this part down.

after that you have to let the full dash animation go, dont cancel the dash too early into D+3 or you will whiff. you also have to be somewhat precise with the input for roll toss or you might get a baton sweep (also a untechable throw, and a low hitting one at that!). i havent got this second one down pat but im confident i can have it in a hour or two.

all i can say is brush up, because if you find the combo i listed as hard you will have a helluva time with some other chars bnb's (reptiles dash whiff bnb comes to mind, damn thing took me like 5 hours to get down)

but from what ive seen using him, he has good mixups, and 2 untechable throws one that hits low, and the fact that the roll toss can be put at the end of a bnb combo makes it great pressure.

his combos are harder then some like i thought, but hes no harder to learn then kano or reptile, and hes similar in playstyle/damage to them.

my initial impression is stryker is more then fine, stryker is a beast :D

edit: also a good strat for keeping easier pressure uses a 25% damage combo but it ends in baton sweep (remember untechable throw?) which means your right next to them, and youve limited there wakeup options.

Last edited:
ok, so after about 15 mintues i can get his first bnb (33% btw) down pat. b+1,2,2, njp,dash,1,2xxgunshot, dash, D+2, 37% with jumpin (and he has bad bnb?s, this is his lowest one listed and its quite easy! easier then kano or repties were for me at least)

next ones trickier as it requires a D+3 for the last split second lift to nail your roll toss (untechable grab btw, VERY useful)

basically you have to time your 1,2xxgunshot so hes not too high in the air when you start inputting after the njp, or else teh gunshot will whiff. negative edge works in your favor here as i find i can 1,2,xxB,F and hold forward and my gun comes out without having to press 1 making it MUCH easier to get this part down.

after that you have to let the full dash animation go, dont cancel the dash too early into D+3 or you will whiff. you also have to be somewhat precise with the input for roll toss or you might get a baton sweep (also a untechable throw, and a low hitting one at that!). i havent got this second one down pat but im confident i can have it in a hour or two.

all i can say is brush up, because if you find the combo i listed as hard you will have a helluva time with some other chars bnb's (reptiles dash whiff bnb comes to mind, damn thing took me like 5 hours to get down)

but from what ive seen using him, he has good mixups, and 2 untechable throws one that hits low, and the fact that the roll toss can be put at the end of a bnb combo makes it great pressure.

his combos are harder then some like i thought, but hes no harder to learn then kano or reptile, and hes similar in playstyle/damage to them.

my initial impression is stryker is more then fine, stryker is a beast :D

edit: also a good strat for keeping easier pressure uses a 25% damage combo but it ends in baton sweep (remember untechable throw?) which means your right next to them, and youve limited there wakeup options.

Thanks a lot aedanwolfe! There are some useful information in there. I admit that it I still sometimes miss the first jump punch after Back, 1, 2, 2, as it is fairly easy to either jump to soon (he just punches but don't jump), or punch too late (he jumps too high before the punch lands). I think this is also due to the distance you where from the opponent when you initiated Back 1, 2, 2, as if you get too close as well, you can push the opponent away a little.

Now I have a stupid question you might know. Is jump punch stance dependent? Should I care which punch I use, frontpunch or backpunch? I notice Stryker change stance whenever he lands after jump punch, so when I started playing as Stryker, I assumed that was the reason I often missed the Jump Punch.

Also about the Gunshots, it only adds like +2% damage (or 1% I assume if it's combo scaled), so is Extended Gunshots really worth it? My experience is that it increases the chance that your opponent wont fall through between your gunshots, and it makes the opponent move slightly higher in the air, making a followup easier.

Though the reason I don't use it, is that even with gunshots, it is still not always sure that the opponent will high enough for a followup, which then makes it pointless.

At the moment, when playing online, I just stick with normal 1,2 gunshots with a 4 kick finisher. Over a series of attempts I probably do a higher total amount of damage with that, than attempting to follow up with roll or Uppercut.

But for the Back, 3, 2 however, I follow up with Uppercut. I know I can also get that one into 1 punch into Ex Gunshot, but I haven't practiced that one more. Maybe if EX gunshot is used, that can be taken further, but I don't think so?

Also, when you say "get it down", do you just mean you managed to pull off his 33% move, or that you have now learned to do it reliable in a match? I mean I think most people can do Strykers 34%+ combo(s), but the real challenge is being able to do it reliably enough during Online tough matches. It doesn't matter if someone can do a 34% combo after his 10th try, then he would be better off just doing 25% reliably every time, if you know what I mean.

I'm definitely having problems doing his "BnB" reliably online, as this combo just have so much that can go wrong between each step. It makes it frustrating to play vs other characters like Liu Kang who can just repeat the same move over and over and keep juggling you with eyes closed.

Anyway, and lastly, what controller do you use? I'm using a normal PS3 controller.

Last edited:
i havent noticed a real input difference depending on stance, just got back from a 300 mile round trip and am going to be busy for the next 2 or 3 days so i wont be able to check immediatly (going to sleep hard right after this post) but if someone doesnt beat me to it i can try testing it when i get a chance.

what you listed about gunshot is pretty much right. But its a hard thing to gauge until you get a rather intimate feeling for strykers gameplay so until then, id say try to perfect the bnb's with the regular gunshot. the real nice thing about ex gunshot is it can knock players out of tele if timed right (requires reading your opponent), can stop a move with super armor because of how fast and how many shots are fired, and has a much faster startup and i think recovery, but i may be wrong on that last one.

as for learning how to do it reliably in a match that requires much more time then ive had because its more then just inputting the combo (getting into position is key) but i got to the point where i can perform the combo reliably 9 times outa 10 in practice. and i did a bit of work on it vs the comp on expert but then i had to go on my trip.

his bnb reminds me of kano's in a way, its similar in that it has tight timing and a little off can result in a whiffed combo. The thing about online is its not exactly the same as offline due to the inherent lag that is in any online match no matter the connection (tho i will say ive had incredibly smooth gameplay lately after the patch, to the point where it seems almost offline compareable at times, didnt think it would ever be that good for me). basically spend HOURS in practice mode (i still do this with my chars every chance i get and ive been playing about a month now) doing your combos over and over from both sides of the screen.

it will get frustrating sometimse as you may become tired/bored with it and find yourself whiffing more then you want to or htink you should, just relax and if need be start workign on a diff char/other aspect like high/low mixups, fight the comp to get a feel for diff opponents or even go online and be ok with the fact taht you will probably be beaten by your fair share of players.

another great way is to go online and dont try to win, but rather work on aspects of the char like getting in close/around zoning, mixups, combos etc, it helps a lot when you specifically do not try to win but instead just use them as practice.

as for controller atm i use reg ps3 controller, it suites me fine but i feel like my thumbs get fatigued after a few hours with chars like reptile/kano and the sweat doesnt help either.. im getting a fight stick shipped to me this or next week to see how it feels in comparison. controller is perfectly viable and even top tier players use them, just want to make that clear.

another good tip for combos is to break them down in there individual strings and execute them then piece them back together. i would njp the target then do strykers 1,2xxgunshot to get a feel for it before id put it back in the combo.

a good general strat is never button mash during a combo, if there is a part that requires buffering, mashing just means you will get it some times, maybe even most, but never all, learning the exact button input pace will help you greatly along the way (i had to learn that the hard way with reptiles elbow whiff bnb)

and as your first point about the njp (neutral jump punch) jumping to early isnt so much the problem as timing when to input the punch. best thing i can suggest is learn thru practice where the person has to be on the screen for the jump punch to connect, and go from there.

now i cant think of anything else to add as im dead tired, hope ive been somewhat helpful. happy trucking

I think this guy is just trolling. I already gave him the link to my guide and some good youtube videos but he still thinks Stryker needs a teleport, a spin and an overhead to be viable lmao.

I think some people don't go to forums to ask for help. They go to them to have people reaffirm there thoughts even if they don't themselves realize it. Or are just pessimistic. Afterf playing stryker myself id say he's a strong char. Representation in tourneys at this present time mean nothing. I still wouldn't main him tho. Don't find him interesting enough

I think this guy is just trolling. I already gave him the link to my guide and some good youtube videos but he still thinks Stryker needs a teleport, a spin and an overhead to be viable lmao.

Then 6 part video guide on youtube didn't teach me anything new, honestly.
You guide was VERY long and I understand you used a lot of time on it, but no offense, most of it is just playing about in training mode, and much of it is either impractical, or no reason to use it instead of some other move.

I would like to see a full match being played between good players.

If you have a link to which of the shows where they talked about Stryker, I would much appreciate it.

You guide was VERY long and I understand you used a lot of time on it, but no offense, most of it is just playing about in training mode, and much of it is either impractical, or no reason to use it instead of some other move.
lol, just because you don't understand it or don't know how/when to use something doesn't make it impractical or useless.

I admit the shenanigan part was random as **** and since first patch it doesn't work that well anymore. But the rest (reset, mixup, footsies, zoning, traps) is vital info for any serious Stryker player.

If you have a link to which of the shows where they talked about Stryker, I would much appreciate it.
Unfortunately, Tom didn't mention any secret tech that wasn't already in my guide.

One of the things he mentionned was that Stryker was a "great poker and zoner" so he doesn't need safe jail strings or any dumb shit like that. He's one of the few characters that can actually keep up with Noob and Reptile in the zoning department believe it or not.

Here's a rundown of what Tom talked about:

-D1 is what you use to create space/interrupt
-D4 into standing 4 ---> possibly can't be interrupted with anything or with not a lot of things. So it's a decent trap.
-4 anti-air into gunshot, baton trip or roll toss
-using gun shot cancel to bait reversals or pokes
-using 3 to reset combos and set up a mixup
-Ex roll toss to deal with low projectiles

I think some people don't go to forums to ask for help. They go to them to have people reaffirm there thoughts even if they don't themselves realize it. Or are just pessimistic. Afterf playing stryker myself id say he's a strong char. Representation in tourneys at this present time mean nothing. I still wouldn't main him tho. Don't find him interesting enough

I think most people will say the same. "He is so strong...but not interested" when what's really going on is people just dislike his lack of "as easy" combo starters, no Special move combo starters, weak Xray, combo's with many pitfalls, ect.

Am I the only one who understand WHY he is never used? Am I the only one who is not trying to make him appear stronger than he really is? And stronger to what, the other characters? He's no stronger than them. He only has some obvious disadvantages, that requires you to work harder for not even the same result.

I'm not saying Stryker is the weakest character in the game, but he is getting there, as all other least played characters, seem to be getting a well deserved helping hand each patch.

You can admit that Stryker needs to work harder to do well (harder learning curve, harder to master), but nothing makes up for this. I dare say that his maximum potential is not as high as the average. As much as you train with Stryker, the others will trainer harder with their characters as well. Stryker wont catch up.

Making him as good, and balance his obvious weaknesses, will make him more prefered (possibly as preferred and use as the other characters). That's what I'm hoping for. And it would give more diversity in characters Online and in tournaments.

No dude, the obvious reason why no one uses him is because he uses guns and grenades and what not. They'd rather have their teleporting ninjas.

dont put words in my mouth (or text in my mouth?). i said what i meant, no hidden meaning. hes a cop, he has no interesting backstory (to me) and uses guns/grenades which i also find uninteresting. i prefer melee weapons or hand to hand/unreasonable magic crap.

you have it backwards, you are the only one who is convinced stryker is shit. also if you have trouble landing the neutral jump punch, you have no room to talk about what his maximum potential is. peace

I feel violated that no one gave me rep for that link. The one time I feel I earned it. *sniffle* I'm glad I at least got some thank yous.
EDIT: Oh, snap the poll is tied!!!

dont put words in my mouth (or text in my mouth?). i said what i meant, no hidden meaning. hes a cop, he has no interesting backstory (to me) and uses guns/grenades which i also find uninteresting. i prefer melee weapons or hand to hand/unreasonable magic crap.

you have it backwards, you are the only one who is convinced stryker is shit. also if you have trouble landing the neutral jump punch, you have no room to talk about what his maximum potential is. peace

I didn't. Read my text, I said "I think most people..."

And yes I do think it's lame to completely deny that Styker lack of popularity could have anything to do with him just being weak (aka "weaker").

And about the neutral jump punch after Back,1,2,2, ill admit I miss it 1 out of 5. The jump punch used in his combo's have a very low timing window, and relies heavily on the distance that the opponent was juggled. 1 out of 5 is a big deal to me, because playing Online can sometimes really screw up timings like that. Strykers BnB combo of 34% (minus starting jump punch), has 3 such timing windows, which helps increase the chance of failure.

I saw people occasionally mess up like that in the official MK tournament i Vegas, I assume it was the pressure. Don't be stupid and act as if people are unworthy of discussion if they claim they sometimes miss timing windows like that. That doesn't make my observations of Stryker any less valid.

I think you want to think its not a matter of training. your already convinced hes weak, so why bother posting any of this? every bit of information that has been provided to you by anyone on these forums has been in the end rejected as your opinion of him being weak.

its been explained to you more hten once how the changes you propose are either not needed, or would unbalance him. your opinion is everywhere, the problem occuring is you keep thinking its fact.

as for the first bit of your other reply. you edited out of context. "i think most people will say the same" and according to proper english your saying that what i said, is the same as your example, and the reasoning behind it. you did not specify a different reasoning coming from me vs "most people".

and again, ive yet to hear or read anyone say mk9 balance is perfect, ive heard people say its good in relation to other competitive fighting games, but that is literally the highest praise ive heard in terms of balance.

why do i try /sigh

Regarding launchers/combos: I use Stryker's back 2, forward 2 launcher. Slightly less damage but it's so much more consistent (no need for a neutral jump), builds a lot meter and is safer on block. Online however, Stryker is more difficult to use because lag screws your inputs/timings. I've lost so many matches simply because of input delay (and in some case, input FAIL...). A lot of hair pulling and a tiny bit of nerd rage saw me through, however.

Kl, Raiden and Scorpion can get by mashing buttons into free combos online, that's why everyone and their mothers choose them. Stryker hasn't got any mash-able damage, so barely anyone uses him. By that same token, barely anyone knows how to fight against him either ;)

Last edited:
Regarding launchers/combos: I use Stryker's back 2, forward 2 launcher. Slightly less damage but it's so much more consistent (no need for a neutral jump), builds a lot meter and is safer on block. Online however, Stryker is more difficult to use because lag screws your inputs/timings. I've lost so many matches simply because of input delay (and in some case, input FAIL...). A lot of hair pulling and a tiny bit of nerd rage saw me through, however.

Kl, Raiden and Scorpion can get by mashing buttons into free combos online, that's why everyone and their mothers choose them. Stryker hasn't got any mash-able damage, so barely anyone uses him. By that same token, barely anyone knows how to fight against him either ;)

I could not agree more :)