Official MK9 Xbox 360 D-Pad Solution Thread

Re: Good cheap controller / game pad for MK9?

I work at Gamestop and we get those controllers returned all the time for broken D-pads. The street fighter pads are decent for MK but I personally use "Controller Converter Adapter Cable For PS2 to Xbox 360" They are super cheap. I purchased two and they have never let me down. All you have to do is plug a wired 360 controller and a ps2 controller into this adapter and plug it into your 360. Also you can use this adapter on a PS3 and use your wired Xbox 360 controllers on a PS3 great for my arcade sticks/fight pads. It will also let you use a PS2 controller on a PS3. So if you have a wired 360 controller and a PS2 controller for under $10 it is a pretty sweet deal, Hope this helps.

$%28KGrHqN,!hEE2g%29pE3YrBN4Bj3bGL!~~0_12.JPG

Re: Good cheap controller / game pad for MK9?

I don't mean to single you out here Grew-Wolf, but i see a lot of people mentioning this controller.
I bought the controller a while back (7-8 months or so) and the d-pad broke on me last month.
The little plastic 'bar' that connects from the actual d-pad piece to the controller had snapped (while i wasn't playing on it, to make things worse :(). I'm not sure if this is common with these controllers, but i think playing a fighting game with it might be too much for it after a while.
Just putting in my 2 cents.
If you'd like to try it out (was great while it lasted!) i'd recommend getting a warranty on it.
It is a good D-Pad indeed. And yes, the same happened to me :( lol

Evil D Pad Facelift Kit review - I ordered 2 kits on Saturday and received my package on the following Friday. I was very excited to get this because as we all know the D pad on the xbox controller is horrible. I opened my package to find 2 green boxes and a neon green receipt. I took out one box and checked out the contents which was the front half of the controller and a zip lock with four buttons for the D pad. There were no instructions included even though the website states that there are. I used my brand new torx security screw driver to take everything off only to find out the bottom screws can't be reached by it since the adapter is to wide. Went out and bought a tiny flat head screw driver that easily removed them.

Took me a little longer then expected to put it together since I didn't have instructions and didn't know exactly how the rubber pieces went back in place, but it's very basic, closing it can be a ***** and knowing how to put the bottom piece on is too.

I tested it out and the D Pad worked perfectly as you should expect a individual button D Pad to work.

I grabbed the second green box to install on my second controller, it felt light and well what do you know it's EMPTY!!! I did several checks to make sure the part from this unopened box wasn't lay in the bag or on my floor, I was just in shock how a company could send an EMPTY BOX!!!

I immediately called only to get a machine, so I called back a little later and a woman picked up. She said she would call me back in 10 minutes when she works everything out. SEVERAL HOURS later after calling multiple times and leaving one message, my call was returned. She said I would receive it on Monday. Monday comes around and no package, I call and get a machine...why even bother. Tuesday comes and there is no package, I call, I e-mail, I even freakin send a fb message to one of the workers who says they are online ALL THE TIME, NO RESPONSE FROM ANY OF THIS!!! I get on their online chat and they give me a tracking number for this order and I thank them and close it, go to usps to track it and it's not even in the system. I go back on the site to do the chat which is now OFFLINE??? WTF! Now it's Wednesday, **** calling, better off sending them a telegram. No package comes on Wednesday and I get back on the online chat since that seems to be the only thing I can get a response from. I ask them if this is the correct tracking number and they say it is and the person tells me if the tracking info isn't on the site by the end of the day they would over night ship me one and this person apologized, out of this whole ordeal this was the only time I had someone say "I apologize." I asked when the package was shipped and they told me the latest Monday, thinking to myself how do they not know the date??? Now it's Thursday, almost a week later from original arrival and I now have my second D Pad. If this was shipped out Monday at the latest and they have a 2 day delivery guarantee.....yeaaaaaaa. There was no green box this time and of course no instructions.

Product: 8.5 out of 10 because it works like it should, but it has squiggly arrows that has every person asking why and on the silver xbox controller I couldn't get the sides to seal properly which IDK if due to the controller or me, but hey I didn't have instructions on closing the controller and as I said before getting the bottom piece in and closing it can be tricky.

Customer Service: 0 out of 10 Absolute crap and receiving a empty box is unacceptable.

I was thinking of either the razer onza or maybe the emulator. I bought a new black xbox 360 controller just to make my combos register, but it still gives me problems :itsme:

I've had the Razer Onza for a while now & it's spot on for me. Don't have a bad thing to say about it.

Hi, new user over here... well I have played on PC all my life, that means I missed most of the MK games out there, I was completely excited with the announcement of MK9 for PC. I had used the 360 controller on my computer and as everyone here knows the dpad is useless for a game like MK, so my questions are the following:

Is it true that the transforming dpad of the silver controllers breaks easily? We must have into consideration that the transforming dpad will be under constant pressure in this game.

Or instead of getting the silver controller, should I get a PS2 joystick with an adapter for PC?

Or should I buy a Mad Catz 360 controller?

Last edited:
Hi, new user over here... well I have played on PC all my life, that means I missed most of the MK games out there, I was completely excited with the announcement of MK9 for PC. I had used the 360 controller on my computer and as everyone here knows the dpad is useless for a game like MK, so my questions are the following:

Is it true that the transforming dpad of the silver controllers breaks easily? We must have into consideration that the transforming dpad will be under constant pressure in this game.

Or instead of getting the silver controller, should I get a PS2 joystick with an adapter for PC?

Or should I buy a Mad Catz 360 controller?

Here are my tips,

1. Buy a "Evil d-Pad" Kit and Mod your controller, comes with everything including the screw driver. Very easy to do, its just replacing a face plate... there are even instructions. I think this was 20-30$ for the kit, ITS NOT a controller, just a kit. Don't wait and order last minute, it can take up to 2 weeks to arrive, mine was a week but thats what i've read. Remember only wired controllers work out of the box on a PC.

2. The PS controller is perfect, buying an adapter for the PC would work, just do your research and find the right adapter (I've seen it but I'm not aware of which so sorry). But you have the cost of the adapter + ps controller to take in, so its more expensive than the option 1 above.

3. A Razer Sabertooth controller uses a d-Pad identical to the PS controller, works on the PC and has hyper sensitive buttons for ABXY. It also happens to be programmable with addon buttons capable (up to 8 buttons more!). Allows you to remap your fingers basically. This is on the pricey side at 80$ from amazon. This is what I use 99% of the time.

4. I tried the rotatable d-Pad silver controller, it was just as terrible as the standard edition, the problem is the underlying hardware of the controller that causes false buttons to get hit. Unfortunatly its a very minor improvement on a very large issue with fighting games and this controller.

Hope that helps.

2. The PS controller is perfect, buying an adapter for the PC would work, just do your research and find the right adapter (I've seen it but I'm not aware of which so sorry). But you have the cost of the adapter + ps controller to take in, so its more expensive than the option 1 above.

I think that I have you on Steam, Klow, LOL!! I have several PlayStation controllers laying around here, if I were to get a PS controller to USB adapter, would that work right away, or would I have to use an annoying 3rd party driver in order to get it to work properly? Thanks.

Honestly the silver Xbox Controller did the trick for me. But maybe that's cuz I'm not much of a competitive player and play more for the single player action, so I don't know how serious y'all are about precision.