What precisely Armageddon is?

I'ts still unclear, what event called 'Armageddon' refers to (precisely).
1) Is it a moment when the realms shatter because of many powerful warriors fighting at the same time/place?

2) Or is it such happening, when someone evil gains power of Blaze and destroys everything (Raiden mentioned in MK9 that '...Shao Kahn will return bringing Armageddon')?

Option1) If that's correct it would be ridiculous - warriors gathered there beacause of thier lust for Blaze's power, the same Blaze who has been created to prevent Armageddon! WTF? In addition, Shinnok (talking to Daegon) claims that Blaze's murderer won't be given any power ("I have informed other warriors of the prize, to hasten their...participation. They will think, as you did, that Godlike power will be bestowed upon the victor. It is a deception. They are marching to their doom. You shall be the victor: and the catalyst to my ascension.").

Option2) If that's correct, it would mean that Blaze is kind of Armageddon's determinant -> No Blaze = No power to be gain = no destructions of the realms.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Armageddon was meant to serve two purposes: serve as an all star game of sorts where every character was included, and also to end that chapter of the storyline. Every era of MK seems to have a game like it to mark the end, there was MK 1-3 capped off by MK Trilogy, which like Armageddon was most of the characters who appeared at that point. Then the 3D era started with MK 4 to MK 7 (Deception), with Armageddon being the end point to that chapter.

Now we're in a new era with MK 9, even though Armageddon played a role in the storyline. I wouldn't be surprised to see another compilation type game after another couple of games in the new style, although a new one would most likely be done much better this time around.