I just finished a match where I got DESTROYED... and I thought I was a great player!

MoonQuake

I got challenged by this guy (xxxcloudmcstrife27 or something) who had like 1200 wins and 120 loss. So I decide to give it a shot... I like a good challenge.

We both play as Kung Lao.

Round 1 - Fight!

He teleports and starts one of these sequences of combos one after the other, whaddaya know I'm down to 20% health in under 10 seconds. And I sure as hell held down the block button all the time.

I combo him once or twice with mixups.

He does the dive kick x4 combo in the corner and I die.

Round 2 was a bit more decent, but still, I wasn't fast enough and couldn't compensate for the slight lag we had. He used each every combo/trick/mixup and mind game he could use and he got me. I know I couldn't block fast enough and he was moving all over the screen and countering me like I was a noob. I could drop his health down to maybe 50% but that's because he obviously took it easier seeing I was no match for him. Lag didn't seem to affect him AT ALL.

I thought I was at about 85% efficiency with my main (lotsa hours practicing with my main and all other chars. about 200 fights online), but seeing how he played, made me realize I still got a lot to learn. A LOT!

Have you had a similar experience where you thought you were pretty good with your char. but got owned online?

Last edited:
I got challenged by this guy (xxxcloudmcstrife27 or something) who had like 1200 wins and 120 loss. So I decide to give it a shot... I like a good challenge.

Round 1 - Fight!

He teleports and starts one of these sequences of combos one after the other, whaddaya know I'm down to 20% health in under 10 seconds. And I sure as hell held down the block button all the time.

Round 2 was a bit more decent, but still, I wasn't fast enough and couldn't compensate for the slight lag we had. He used each every combo/trick/mixup and mind game he could use and he got me. I know I couldn't block fast enough and he was moving all over the screen and countering me like I was a noob. I could drop his health down to maybe 50% but that's because he obviously took it easier seeing I was no match for him. Lag didn't seem to affect him AT ALL.

I thought I was at about 85% efficiency with my main (lotsa hours practicing with my main and all other chars. about 200 fights online), but seeing how he played, made me realize I still got a lot to learn. A LOT!

Have you had a similar experience where you thought you were pretty good with your char. but got owned online?

Man, I wish I could get a match like that actually. I've challenged quite a few people with insane W/L ratio, but they all turn out to be imposters and I beat them. Most of them end up as Smoke, Raiden, or Kung Lao and just spam moves which I've learned how to counter by now. I guess all those guys just play noobs with awful records. I know for a fact that I'm not an elite player, I'm pretty good, but definitely not some amazing MK wizard.

Hopefully I'll find a few battles where I play an insane guy and see how he operates and try to learn a thing or two to improve my game.

I was fighting this Raiden, he wasn't that bad and his combos did at least +40% damage from what I remembered, Im pretty good with cyber sub zero, but in both rounds, he accidentally punishes me with virtually every move I did, I managed a 49%(?) xray combo, then he spammed projectiles and got me off with that rush attack. Although my weakness is playing extremely aggressive, even if I have a plan or what not.

Happens ..... specially when you feel ****y and ultra self confident, thinking that you already have faced every kind of player, and are used with any type of skill level ..... I underestimated a Kabal player once, and they guy did a flawless victory over me in about ..... 35 seconds.

The game MK 2011 is based a lot about damage management ..... who can do a great amount of damage first, next, try to finish the job and if the other guy is really skilled, if you don't play more fast , more agressive and so, you gonna feel frustrated , because, the opponent knows that it's just a matter to hit some one more combo and you are dead.

Round 1 - Fight!

yeah this is a good wake up call lol. You probably fought a tournament I'm going to make bracket skilled player. You should try to find a local tournament to go to, or go to a somewhat big one if you can. You'll be amazed if your not normally competitive and go to tournaments, just how NOT good you are lol.

My first few tournaments I thought I was good. even watched pro matches thinking I could take them. NOPE... I got raped by the guy who got raped, by a guy who got raped by the pro I watched. Imagine how little I felt then lol

thus began my training to become a very high caliber competent player.

only once, last night I played this dude who was sick with Kitana he babaltied me twice with both Cage and Kung

and probably should have flawlessed me in the second round when I was Lao

a good Kitana player always ****s with me

Once in a blue moon, I get my ass kicked.
Badly too.

But I love it.
Helps me grow and learn from my mistakes.

Once in a blue moon, I get my ass kicked.
Badly too.

But I love it.
Helps me grow and learn from my mistakes.

It's fun to play good players because you can see new things you should try. You don't really get better playing people that suck, either.

It's fun to play good players because you can see new things you should try. You don't really get better playing people that suck, either.

Only trouble is, its hard to find good players.

Ranked is the only game that works well for me :?

Only trouble is, its hard to find good players.

Ranked is the only game that works well for me :?

Got a friend that's pretty good with Ermac. His gamertag is: KOA CAPONE
Or at least I'm pretty sure that's it. Can't check right now.

fought a pretty good shang tsung player, first time i ever played shang tsung online so it didnt help i wasnt 100% sure what to expect. his ex skull combo is devestating though, cant breaker thru most of it. matches were somewhat close but he closed it out where i failed to.

i was challenged by a dude with a very good record last week and it was a war...the first match we both choose Cyrax and it was a back and forth match..we went to the third round and he barely beat me..then second round he pick his best Liu Kang...he beat me two more matches..then i picked Sheeva and beat him once..the score is 3 to 1 with him winning by 3...he continued to pick Liu Kang and beat me seven matches straight..then i beat him three matches straight..and then he beat me three matches straight too..but the last four matches was all me doing the as* kicking with my Mileena...i won more matches but i feel good about myself for being able to even the game play with him....i like back and forth battle...

I fought an insanely good Cyrax player who destroyed my Nightwolf. Ok, he was overusing Cyrax's bomb traps, but still, he was a fantastic player, he made me practice a lot against Cyrax so I could know his weakenesses.

ENIGMA86 said:
i was challenged by a dude with a very good record last week and it was a war...the first match we both choose Cyrax and it was a back and forth match..we went to the third round and he barely beat me..then second round he pick his best Liu Kang...he beat me two more matches..then i picked Sheeva and beat him once..the score is 3 to 1 with him winning by 3...he continued to pick Liu Kang and beat me seven matches straight..then i beat him three matches straight..and then he beat me three matches straight too..but the last four matches was all me doing the as* kicking with my Mileena...i won more matches but i feel good about myself for being able to even the game play with him....i like back and forth battle...

Well, this is not really what he asked about. You're saying he was good, but you still managed to beat him 3 in a row a few times. And it went back and fourth like that. You should'nt be able to beat him. That's the skill he's talking about. You probably just met a everyday Lui Kang player and like to brag about it.

My first few tournaments I thought I was good. even watched pro matches thinking I could take them. NOPE... I got raped by the guy who got raped, by a guy who got raped by the pro I watched. Imagine how little I felt then lol

thus began my training to become a very high caliber competent player.

This was epic lol hahhahaha

Yea I've had the exact same experience. I thought I was good until I ran Into xyz.

I am 11-5 in ranked but by no means am I good. Raiden and Lu r my mains but my biggest problem is my strategy. I get locked into one strategy too easy. Especially with raiden. But luv his teleport.

But yea I still have a lot practicing to do. I can get off a 48%xray combo good but doing that in game with lag Is a prob for me

Well, this is not really what he asked about. You're saying he was good, but you still managed to beat him 3 in a row a few times. And it went back and fourth like that. You should'nt be able to beat him. That's the skill he's talking about. You probably just met a everyday Lui Kang player and like to brag about it.

i consider myself to be a good player..and for him to beat me so badly with Liu Kang, i thought i was actually doing a very good job by figuring him out and beating him too...i can tell when a player good...it's hard to find good player online..and sometime when i found someone with good enough record, i would challenge them but most of the time they declined my challenge..that's why sometime i wrote "i guess i'm not noob enough for you guys to accept my challenge." i guess some online players only want to fight beginners to keep their record up...i actually gave those beginners who have the ball to challenge me a chance to fight me...i just don't like people with very good record who decline other players who also have very good record..my record wasn't bad..right now i'm around 120/20 1v1 if i remember it correctly...