UMK3 Arcade Cabinet Question

DaveyJ_OS

Apologies to mods if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't find another one that fit better. Feel free to move if needed.

I have the opportunity to purchase a great condition UMK3 cabinet, and had questions:

a) Is it possible to add in MK 1 and 2 as well by adding the boards for each game?

b) Is there a way to lower the volume on the cabinet speakers? (I live in a townhouse, can't blare with neighbors)

c) Is there a way to make it free play?

Any help is appreciated, this would be my first cabinet owned and I haven't played one in YEARS.

IDK about that. But here in Philippines we have a fun SNES cabinet here instead of arcade. We only just use a SNES 13in1 or any other cartridge. We activate it by dropping a coin. 1 coin is equal to 3:00 mins, it is a countdown machine. If it reaches Zero you cant move cause the system controls are deactivated. You can also drop many coins as much as you can..

IDK about that. But here in Philippines we have a fun SNES cabinet here instead of arcade. We only just use a SNES 13in1 or any other cartridge. We activate it by dropping a coin. 1 coin is equal to 3:00 mins, it is a countdown machine. If it reaches Zero you cant move cause the system controls are deactivated. You can also drop many coins as much as you can..

that sounds awful, i could never imagine that

Apologies to mods if this isn't the correct forum, but I couldn't find another one that fit better. Feel free to move if needed.

I have the opportunity to purchase a great condition UMK3 cabinet, and had questions:

a) Is it possible to add in MK 1 and 2 as well by adding the boards for each game?

b) Is there a way to lower the volume on the cabinet speakers? (I live in a townhouse, can't blare with neighbors)

c) Is there a way to make it free play?

Any help is appreciated, this would be my first cabinet owned and I haven't played one in YEARS.

A) You can't just swap out the boards since the all 3 games use different hardware. You could probably do some hack job and add the other 2 games' hardware, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

B) Yes, all 3 of the games have volume controls in the settings menu which is accessible when you open the coin door.

C) Yes, its in the settings menu.

@tremor... That's the saddest thing I've ever heard of. I wouldn't pay for an SNES MK game at ALL, let alone 3 minutes of play. That friggin sucks.

B) Yes, all 3 of the games have volume controls in the settings menu which is accessible when you open the coin door.

No, Mortal Kombat 1 cabs had a volume pot with a harness to the sound board. Since this is not a MK1 cab, most just solder a Pot to the sound board's connector.

A) You can't just swap out the boards since the all 3 games use different hardware. You could probably do some hack job and add the other 2 games' hardware, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

C) Yes, its in the settings menu.

@tremor... That's the saddest thing I've ever heard of. I wouldn't pay for an SNES MK game at ALL, let alone 3 minutes of play. That friggin sucks.

A) That is not correct. The only thing required (Providing you have a T-Unit MK1) is swapping the Jamma connector and the LP/LK Harness from one board to the next. If you have complete pcbs sets for MK1 and MK2 (Main board and sound board with all the interconnecting cables), then a simple jamma/LK harness swap is all that is needed.

B) This is partially correct. MK2 and MK3 adjust volume through the settings menu which is accessible from a push button mounted on the back of the coin door. MK1 uses a 50k ohm variable potentiometer that has to be turned like a volume knob. It can be anywhere in the machine but is usually mounted on top of the coin box behind the upper door.

C) Yes. This is correct.

D) Another issue is screen adjustment. MK1 (T-Unit) and MK2 ARE, in fact, different hardware from MK3/UMK3/MK4. If you adjust your monitor for the optimum screen location, ie: horizontal/vertical position, when you swap the boards out, you'll notice that the image has moved. The different boards use different video hardware which cause this. There is no way to fix it except to just find a happy medium where the image fills the screen no matter which game is being played/displayed. Refer to the video I posted earlier and look at the power bars of the different games to see what I am talking about.

Just buy a empty cab and put a PC in it and run MAME.you dont want to be bothered with old hardware that,like ALL arcade hardware will eventually fail. :(

@tremor: its a snes vs.cabinet,right? .25 cents (in USA) buys you 3 minutes and you can play as many different games(that are on that particular machine) until your time runs out

Hi there, I have just purchased a MK4 arcade unit with UMK3 in it. Inside the coin door there are red buttons for volume which don't seem to work. In the settings mode I can adjust the volume to 'min' but then when I exit the settings menu the volume returns to full blast. Trying to not wake my 14 month old son. Any help would be great!

Hi there, I have just purchased a MK4 arcade unit with UMK3 in it. Inside the coin door there are red buttons for volume which don't seem to work. In the settings mode I can adjust the volume to 'min' but then when I exit the settings menu the volume returns to full blast. Trying to not wake my 14 month old son. Any help would be great!

I am having the exact same problem!!! Can't get the volume to go lower. I can adjust the " minimum volume level " to any number , but volume can't go lower than 15.....and I can get he volume to go lower in he menu (to 15) but when I start game, it's back to loud! I have young kids as well and don't want to wake them. Anyone know what to do ??