Should Negative Edge be Removed From The Game?

aedanwolfe

anyone feel that this would be a good idea? as of now its causing me more trouble then helping especially on more advanced combos.

a simple option to turn it off would be nice. atm it feels more like a deterrent then a aide

Re: negative edge removed from game

Hell yes. At least give us the option, or make it work like it should work, where you'd actually have to hold the button down to get the benefit of it.

I think they're addressing it in some fashion with the upcoming patch, though.

I hope they get rid of it. Or tone it down (make it less lenient). So many times I've tried to do an uppercut and got grenade high toss, which has often been the difference between a win and a loss.

I've been having a problem with Jade, where I input the command for a Shadow Kick, and she won't do it half of the time.

Hell yes its not needed at all and its not even negative edge because that requires button holding but here a simple tap makes it happen and with shared special movements it just causes a mess with the rest of the fight engine

Anyone want to explain what negative edge is?

For example, on PS3, you can press and hold X button (3) while doing Sub-Zero ice ball, and as soon as you finish the input in the arrows (D,F), you release the X button, and the projectile will be throw, the same way if you had done the normal way.

Holding X, D,F, releasing X = Ice Ball
D,F, X = Ice Ball

Both will make Sub-Zero do his Ice Ball.

Last edited:

For example, on PS3, you can press and hold X button (3) while doing Sub-Zero ice ball, and as soon as you finish the input in the arrows (D,F), you release the X button, and the projectile will be throw, the same way if you had done the normal way.

Holding X, D,F, releasing X = Ice Ball
D,F, X = Ice Ball

Both will make Sub-Zero do his Ice Ball.

Just to add on to that for anyone who doesn't know, the problem with it in this game is that they took it a step further so you don't even have to hold the button while you do the motion, meaning you can do Sub-Zero's ice blast just by tapping "FK, down, forward". In that specific case, it ends up being okay because Subby doesn't have any other conflicting moves that use the same motion. However, take someone like Ermac who has 3 different moves all using "down, back" and try to do something as simple as canceling BP into a telekinetic slam. That becomes a problem.

DCR gave a very good explanation about some problems issues this technique can cause, with certain characters ......

like doing noobs shadowupknee wall combos sometimes you get a black hole instead of a upknee...so frustrating for me

I thought I was the only person with this problem cause I have a custom fightstick, this shit is terrible par'd with a laggy match. I have gotten used to it but I'd have way more arsenal if this was removed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

what the hell is negative edge?

example

D,B,2 is noobs dark portal move

here is one of his combos, 2,1,2+shadow upknee

there is a buffer in this game, in order for me to get shadowupknee to work in that combo i have to have it input before hes finished the 3 hit string.

shadow upknee commands is D,B,3

notice the directional input is the same as the dark portal...notice how the last hit in the hit string 2,1,2 is 2...same as the last button for darkness portal

with the buffer and the negative edge system they have in place. if i can do 2,1,2,D,B and i will cast darkness portal, the problem lies with shadow upknee D,B input.

i have to buffer it so it goes off at the end of the hit string, but if you dont input it in just right instead of casting shadow upknee, you cast darkness portal.

in this way many characters can experience a similar problem with there moves. its a bad system atm and should probably be redone/removed but id settle for a option to ahve it or not.

Indeed, I had problems with this and it caused me to put down Ermac; I would try to do a Air Force Blast, and would do an Air Force Port, which was totally disadvantagous at those moments.

Not removed. Negative edge is a lot more important than most people think. SSF4 has the best negative edge imo and is perfect the way it is.

MK9's negative edge window is too big so it screws up inputs. So yes they need to reduce it greatly, but not remove it entirely.

Just to add on to that for anyone who doesn't know, the problem with it in this game is that they took it a step further so you don't even have to hold the button while you do the motion, meaning you can do Sub-Zero's ice blast just by tapping "FK, down, forward". In that specific case, it ends up being okay because Subby doesn't have any other conflicting moves that use the same motion. However, take someone like Ermac who has 3 different moves all using "down, back" and try to do something as simple as canceling BP into a telekinetic slam. That becomes a problem.

Thanks for explaining that. I kept doing it in mid combo and I was like, the hell? This is goofy! Thanks for the enlightenment.

Yes! i agree with you, OP..
the negative edge really REALLY messes me up when i use shang tsung..
when i try to go in with a 2,2, 4, Medium ground skull (D,B+4) it well sometimes do the Front Up Skull (D, B+2) indead.. which leaves me wide open.. dont how that happens but its very annoying

I wasn't exactly a technical gamer before MK9, so I guess I learned to adapt. So far it has been helping me, but I can see where it can be a bothersome for others.

Not removed. Negative edge is a lot more important than most people think. SSF4 has the best negative edge imo and is perfect the way it is.

MK9's negative edge window is too big so it screws up inputs. So yes they need to reduce it greatly, but not remove it entirely.

well that is why i also gave the option to turn it off. atm its completly unhelpful for me seeing as how ive yet to run into a situation where i would need the negative edge to get a move off, i have fast fingers when i know the combo.