Indiana Paces vs. The City of Detroit

El Chupacabra

Unless you've been living it a hole the past few days, I'm sure you have seen/heard/read about the major brawl that happened in Detroit this past Friday. Incase you havn't, here is a run down:

There was around a minute left in the Pacers/Pistons game - Pacers were up by around 15 points. Ben Wallace (Detroit) goes up for a layup and Ron Artest (Pacers) fouls him from behind in a semi-hard way. Ben Wallace erupts, shoves Artest, and then proceeds to go after him. Players, refs, coaches get in and break it all up - Artest proceeds to lay down on the scorers table. Wallace throws a towel at Artest. Artest does nothing. However, while on the table, a Detroit FAN launches a beverage cup from about 3-4 rows up at Ron Artest and the beverage proceeds to hit him in the side of the head, splashing whatever it was all over him. Artest jumps up, runs into the stands, and goes after the fan he believed threw the drink (it actually was the guy standing next to his kid, but Artest didn't know this) and starts grabbing him by the head. A few fans run over and grab Artest and try pulling him back - One or two proceed to start punching Artest in the back. Seeing this, Indiana Pacer Steven Jackson runs to help Artest out and starts punching a fan in the head. By this time many Pacers, coaches, security, fans, and officials are caught up in a brawl. Finally the players get pulled out of the stands - Artest starts walking away when a Detroit fan walks onto the court right at Artest. Artest says something to the fan and then immidiately attacks him, punching him in the face once before the fans fat friend goes to try and take Artest down. Pacer coaches and security get Artest out - while a Pacer coach attacks the fan who tried attacking Artest. By this time fans are throwing stuff at the players from all over. Finally after seperating the lot - the one fat who tried tackling Artest goes to get up but recieves a LEVELING punch from Pacer Forward Jermaine O'Neal. More stuff starts to break out but finally the players get pulled to the locker rooms with garbage flying all over the place.

Heres a video: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/motion/showcase/index?sport=nba&CMP=ILC-Motion_NBA_LHN_Text
Go to the link and click on the Detroit Brawl. Very good video.

The results from this? 9 Suspensions.

The majority of which were 1 gamers for players leaving the bench during a game.

Ron Artest - 72 Game Suspension which covers the rest of the season.
Stephen Jackson - 30 Games.
Jermaine O'Neal - 25 Games.
Ben Wallace - 6 Games.

Take a look at the video - post what you think.

I saw what happened about three-four times yesterday on ESPN. I think it was the fans fault. If they would had mind their business things would of been fine. Ben Wallace got mad yeah and did what he did. Artest ran after the guy with the glasses thinking it was he who through something at him. If you were to see, how could Artest see it was the guy with the glasses from his position? Anyway, Artest got upset about that and ran at the fan. He should of left it alone things would have been fine, but still a fan did start it, leading to more fans wanting to act stupid. Jermaine O'Neal punched some chubby fan who didn't mind his business and got what was coming to him. He wouldn't have gotten punched if he stood in his seat. Anyway I think it was the fans fault like I said before.

i believe artest is a pussy, notice his reaction when wallace is ready to go, he dont want none, AAAHH but the fans lets kick their asses, btw not a fans fault, even though that was so goddamn stupid what he did artest still should not have done that he is juast a stupid fucker

I could give a crap if a fan started it. Those players get paid way too much money to act like kids at the playground. If they want to play street ball, let 'em, on the street, not the court.

The Fan should have been arrested and would have definitely been removed from the game had Artest not gone into the stands. Instead, that fan now has ammunition for a law suit.

Overall, everyone involved in the altercation got off light IMO. Kick Artest's ass out of the league and let him go rap for a living where that behavior is more fitting. The rest of them, O'neil and Jackson should be done for the season. It would have been over a lot quicker had they not ventured into the stands. Also, the coaches should be fined along with the programs for not being able to control their players.

In the end, I think it's been long overdue that all professional and collegiate sports get a major overhaul. There are too many bad apples across the board for them not to spoil the bunch. Players seem to think they are above everyone and have no one to answer to because they make such an abhorrent amount of money, all for possessing skills that not everyone are blessed with. It's not as if their skills save lives like that of a brain surgeon's, they provide entertainment for the masses, nothing more.

It's reprehensible the way everyone there acted. Artest's punishment (a year's suspension) is sufficient, but were I in control of the NBA (that'd be something), he'd be gone. He'd get the big ugly axe, and fucked if I care if a team is short a player for the rest of the season. The fan who threw the drink in the first place should've been charged with assault and everyone involved in the fight should've been fined, at the least, with added suspensions for the players.

This game was broadcast out to millions of people across the country, and those people saw what happened. I'm sure plenty of them were jumping for joy, about time, right? What would professional, or even amateur, sports be like if we allowed stuff like this to happen every time someone gets fouled? It'd be a fullscale brawl and you know it. Not that I'd mind that, hell, I'd kind of like to see sports erupt into massive adrenaline and testosterone filled brawls every few minutes, with fullscale riots (no pussy little drink throwing shit) in the crowds with every point you don't agree with, every bad call, every bullshit touchdown, homerun, and slam dunk. But if we want our professional athletes to have at least an ounce of respect from Americans for their athletic talents, as opposed to their brawling talents, stuff like this has to be shut down, and it has to be shut down NOW.

Also, I'd like to add, that fan at the end, the fat guy in the jersey, when that player (hell if I watch the NBA) did that sliding punch, that guy got PWNED.

Here's my take:

As a fan, you purchase a ticket to watch the game - experience the game live, in the arena, with other fans. That ticket gives you the right to cheer, boo, talk, and lightly antagonzie the players. It does not give you the right to verbally abuse players (whether it be excessive swearing, racial/religious, so forth), throw things at players, or assault players. Once you do that - you cross the line.

I do not justify Ron Artest leaping into the fans. I don't think any player should go after a fan unless it was something severe. Such as a glass bottle. But even so, look at this way:

Say you are an NBA player. You are involved in a new-found rivalry (Pacers/Pistons) and you or your team mate fouled another player. That fouled player attacks your team mate (or you). If you are attacked or your friend is attacked then you suddenly go into another mode of thinking - it's human nature. So all of the tempers are flaring. Finally the fight gets broken up. Now your lying on a table. You suddenly get hit in the face by a cup, which also splashes liquid all over you. Now I know I get pissed every time I bang my head or get hit by something. I can only imagine how pissed a guy like Ron Artest can get when a cup hits him in the face right after he had his blood boiling from a fight he was involved in. I'm not saying I excuse Ron Artest from leaping into the crowd and attacking that kid - but as a fan you have to take this information into account and you cannot be launching objects at players.

Now once Artest went up there a few people grabbed him after he attacked that boy. One guy even proceeded to punch Artest from behind. This is when the rest of the team, Jackson in particular, rushed up there. Half of him wanted to defend his teammate as it was a 20,000 on 1 scenario from his viewpoint, the other half of him wanted to Kick some Ass because thats what he's about - just like a lot of young males, especially in the thug-life society. From a "defend my friend/player" stand point I agree. Who knows whats gonna happen up there with all those fans and 1 player. I would rush up there to help my buddy out if I were him as well - as you would do. Some of the fans involved GOT themselves involved. This does not include the guy Artest intitally attacked but this does include the people who grabbed or punched the Pacer players. Leave that to security.

As for that idiot who walked onto the court. Whoa. Once you walk onto that court ... prepare to get annhilated. I mean that fan who seeked Ron Artest out was looking for a fight. He had his fists clenched, he hopped in Artest's direction - what did the guy expect? A haymaker to the face. Had it not been for that guys fat friend rushing Artest after his first punch, I think it's safe to say that boy would be dead. Now to the idiot who rushed Artest - he got what was coming. Not only a kick from one of the Pacer coaches but he got LEVELED by Jermaine O'Neal. I mean leveled. Jermaine came from half court and clocked this kid - nothing stopped him. That boy is lucky not to be in a coma.

In my opinion the suspesions are justified - not just for the actions of the players - but as a deturrent. You gotta let other players know that if you do things like this you will be out for the season, minus pay. As for the fans who assaulted the players, whether via fists or flying objects, they need to be stripped of any season tickets (if held) and they need to be persecuted by the law - as do the players. Let the law handle the "assault" situation.

My bottom line is that as a fan, you can't throw things or use excessive verbal assault at players. You can say "You suck Artest" but you can't start swearing and throwing things at him or any other player. There is a line. Don't cross it. And as a player you can't go into the stands just as fans should not step onto the court.

I believe Ben Wallace should be suspended for a much larger margin than 6 games. Due to the fact that his actions instigated this entire scene, which you have to take into account after what happened, AND that he kept going after Artest after Artest had calmed down ... his fine should be larger. 6 Games for the guy who started the whole fiasco just doesn't seem enough to me.

Anyway, gotta get to class. Be back to post more later.

raidenfighter said:
It's reprehensible the way everyone there acted. Artest's punishment (a year's suspension) is sufficient, but were I in control of the NBA (that'd be something), he'd be gone. He'd get the big ugly axe, and !@#$ if I care if a team is short a player for the rest of the season. The fan who threw the drink in the first place should've been charged with assault and everyone involved in the fight should've been fined, at the least, with added suspensions for the players.

This game was broadcast out to millions of people across the country, and those people saw what happened. I'm sure plenty of them were jumping for joy, about time, right? What would professional, or even amateur, sports be like if we allowed stuff like this to happen every time someone gets fouled? It'd be a fullscale brawl and you know it. Not that I'd mind that, hell, I'd kind of like to see sports erupt into massive adrenaline and testosterone filled brawls every few minutes, with fullscale riots (no pussy little drink throwing shit) in the crowds with every point you don't agree with, every bad call, every bullshit touchdown, homerun, and slam dunk. But if we want our professional athletes to have at least an ounce of respect from Americans for their athletic talents, as opposed to their brawling talents, stuff like this has to be shut down, and it has to be shut down NOW.

Also, I'd like to add, that fan at the end, the fat guy in the jersey, when Artest did that sliding punch, that guy got PWNED.

first of all, if sports got this violent all the time, i might actually watch them.

second, respect? these guys put balls in a metal circle for a living. why should we expect them to be fucking saints, its entertainment.

I blame this on the fans. I'm not saying it was okay for the players to jump in the stands, but the fans physically provokes someone, a someone who is known for being nuts, and when they do that they better be prepared to receive what they gave out. You punch someone, they're probably going to punch you back. But, the suspensions are completely acceptable and deserved, players simply can't do what Artest and company did, you can't, but you have to take into account a couple things:

A.) Artest is batshit insane and the fans should know that by now.
B.) Artest actually showed restraint by NOT attacking Wallace back. Whoever called him a pussy for that is a fucking idiot and should be banned from the forums for being stupid.
C.) The other players who jumped in (Jackson, O'Neal) were on pure adrenaline at that point, and were protecting their teammate. The man is most likely like a brother to those guys, basket ball is a team sport, and you're damn right those guys are going to protect their brother.
D.) The fans are fucking morons, plain and simple, one player, Fred Jones, wasn't doing anything, not fighting at all, and a fan attacked him from behind. Its ridiculous and the people of Detroit should be ashamed. Absolutely ashamed. Any of them that try to press charges and make a pretty penny from the players should be laughed out of the court and then run over with a car.

So yeah, the players deserved what they got with the suspensions, you can't go in the stands, end of story. But outside of the game of basketball, everyone one of those people deserved to get the shit kicked out of them. Anyone who threw drinks or chairs should get laid the fuck out. If it wasn't a professional sport, just real life, those people would have gotten deservedly thrashed. They all should be ashamed of themselves.

lol ron artest went berzerk im suprised those people werent dead and the huge punch jermaine got in on that guy omg i thought his head came off! But whats really wrong is miller got a 2 game suspention because he was pullin artest off a fan. Also wallace should get WAY more then 6 games out because he started it.

nomorewordz said:
i believe artest is a pussy, notice his reaction when wallace is ready to go, he dont want none, AAAHH but the fans lets kick their asses, btw not a fans fault, even though that was so goddamn stupid what he did artest still should not have done that he is juast a stupid !@#$

Stupid fuck! artest would have got suspended for 2 seasons if he hit wallace and say im wrong i watched ESPN 30 minutes ago and heard it! Lets see what you would do if wallace hit you! You would cower like a pussy!

K1LLKANO said:
I could give a crap if a fan started it. Those players get paid way too much money to act like kids at the playground. If they want to play street ball, let 'em, on the street, not the court.

The Fan should have been arrested and would have definitely been removed from the game had Artest not gone into the stands. Instead, that fan now has ammunition for a law suit.

Overall, everyone involved in the altercation got off light IMO. Kick Artest's ass out of the league and let him go rap for a living where that behavior is more fitting. The rest of them, O'neil and Jackson should be done for the season. It would have been over a lot quicker had they not ventured into the stands. Also, the coaches should be fined along with the programs for not being able to control their players.

In the end, I think it's been long overdue that all professional and collegiate sports get a major overhaul. There are too many bad apples across the board for them not to spoil the bunch. Players seem to think they are above everyone and have no one to answer to because they make such an abhorrent amount of money, all for possessing skills that not everyone are blessed with. It's not as if their skills save lives like that of a brain surgeon's, they provide entertainment for the masses, nothing more.

2 problems

1.Artest cant rap for shit
2.hes obviously better at basketball

McShorty said:
I blame this on the fans. I'm not saying it was okay for the players to jump in the stands, but the fans physically provokes someone, a someone who is known for being nuts, and when they do that they better be prepared to receive what they gave out. You punch someone, they're probably going to punch you back. But, the suspensions are completely acceptable and deserved, players simply can't do what Artest and company did, you can't, but you have to take into account a couple things:

B.) Artest actually showed restraint by NOT attacking Wallace back. Whoever called him a pussy for that is a !@#$ idiot and should be banned from the forums for being stupid.
C.) The other players who jumped in (Jackson, O'Neal) were on pure adrenaline at that point, and were protecting their teammate. The man is most likely like a brother to those guys, basket ball is a team sport, and you're damn right those guys are going to protect their brother.
D.) The fans are !@#$ morons, plain and simple, one player, Fred Jones, wasn't doing anything, not fighting at all, and a fan attacked him from behind. Its ridiculous and the people of Detroit should be ashamed. Absolutely ashamed. Any of them that try to press charges and make a pretty penny from the players should be laughed out of the court and then run over with a car.

So yeah, the players deserved what they got with the suspensions, you can't go in the stands, end of story. But outside of the game of basketball, everyone one of those people deserved to get the shit kicked out of them. Anyone who threw drinks or chairs should get laid the !@#$ out. If it wasn't a professional sport, just real life, those people would have gotten deservedly thrashed. They all should be ashamed of themselves.

jackson o`neal you mean jermaine o`neal(sorry i had to point that out)

KiLlAcAm said:
McShorty said:

B.) Artest actually showed restraint by NOT attacking Wallace back. Whoever called him a pussy for that is a !@#$ idiot and should be banned from the forums for being stupid.
D.) The fans are !@#$ morons, plain and simple, one player, Fred Jones, wasn't doing anything, not fighting at all, and a fan attacked him from behind. Its ridiculous and the people of Detroit should be ashamed. Absolutely ashamed. Any of them that try to press charges and make a pretty penny from the players should be laughed out of the court and then run over with a car.

So yeah, the players deserved what they got with the suspensions, you can't go in the stands, end of story. But outside of the game of basketball, everyone one of those people deserved to get the shit kicked out of them. Anyone who threw drinks or chairs should get laid the !@#$ out. If it wasn't a professional sport, just real life, those people would have gotten deservedly thrashed. They all should be ashamed of themselves.

jackson o`neal you mean jermaine o`neal(sorry i had to point that out)

He was talking about two different players, you turd. Stephen Jackson and Jermain O'Neal. Hence the comma. You turd.

A few things came of this incident:

Pacers will struggle to make the playoffs - especially since they already down on players due to injury.

Ron Artest gets his 1 month + of rap-rest time.

a fat Detroit fan is in a coma ... or should be. Maybe dead. <-- Hopefully.

The NBA just gained a ton of media attention, which won't hurt them any.

Stephen Jackson got his 15 minutes.

Ben Wallace looks like a clown. His hair is already ridiculous enough - this didn't help him any.

I now hate the Pistons more than I did before, which was a lot, and Jermaine O'Neal climbs further up my "liked" ladder - something he has been doing the past 2 seasons of basketball due to his play and interviews (well spoken, good infront of a camera).