Mortal Kombat (2011) Gameplay Hotfix Released

Jeff Greeson

Administrator
Staff member
As previously mentioned, <a href="http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat_2011">Mortal Kombat (2011)</a> features a system that allows <b>NetherRealm Studios</b> to tweak gameplay parameters remotely from their online servers without needing to issue a full patch to the game. After a month of the fighting game's public release, <b>NRS</b> has identified several places where characters needed to be tweaked to keep the game as balanced as possible.

Last night, <b>NRS</b> released a hotfix to their servers labeled <b>Ver. 0.127S-208-FD70F4B3 (Xbox 360) / Ver. 0.127S-208-A0FAD3CF (PS3)</b>. In order to receive this hotfix, you will need to be signed into <b>Xbox Live</b> or <b>PSN</b> when you start up the game. The hotfix will download when the game's "Checking online for new features" popup appears at the main title screen when you press start for the first time. You will not be prompted to download a title update.

Here are the list of changes detailed on <a href="http://boards.themortalkombat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27361">the official hotfix notes thread</a> (login required):
<ul>
<li>Reduced some of Kung Lao’s combo and overall damage.</li>
<li>Reduced the damage on some special moves.</li>
<li>Increased the damage scaling after Kitana’s Enhanced ground fan toss.</li>
<li>Adjusted some juggle’s damage scaling.</li>
<li>Reduced the damage on some basic combos that were doing too much damage without using any meter.</li>
<li>Increased Sheeva’s damage output for several of her moves and attacks.</li>
<li>Temporarily Changed around some of Sonya’s fighting style properties to reduce her ability to lock someone down in block stun.</li>
<li>Changed Kano’s Towards Front Kick to a low block.</li>
<li>Reduced the recovery on Kano’s Upball to be closer to Johnny Cage’s Flip Kick recovery.</li>
<li>Increased the damage of some of Baraka’s special moves and attacks.</li>
<li>It is easier to juggle combo after hitting someone with Baraka’s chopchop on the ground.</li>
<li>Increased the damage scaling on a frozen opponent.</li>
<li>Baraka’s Away Front Kick, Front Punch combo is now a true popup.</li>
</ul>

Last edited:
Lot's of wonderful (and much needed) tweaks. I'm still hoping for a fix for Quan Chi's 'Trance' move. It take entirely TOO LONG to animate.

Lot's of wonderful (and much needed) tweaks. I'm still hoping for a fix for Quan Chi's 'Trance' move. It take entirely TOO LONG to animate.

You're right about that. The opponent should move faster towards Quan Chi in "Trance" mode

whats weird is that i was playing one day with quan chi and his trance move was able to immediately continue on with moves without the REALLY long wait you guys speak of. iono if that was a glitch or something but it seemed natural and part of the game to break animation.

Really HETERO they nerfed Kung Lao..

Fixed it fer ya!

whats weird is that i was playing one day with quan chi and his trance move was able to immediately continue on with moves without the REALLY long wait you guys speak of. iono if that was a glitch or something but it seemed natural and part of the game to break animation.

Exactly! I love Quan Chi period. He is one of my favorites, but I cannot bring myself to main with him like I wanted to because of this extremely long locked animation of him waving his hands around. If you trance the opponent they should walk toward you like they do, but Quan should quickly wiggle his hands and get on with the fight. The move really breaks up his combat flow and the overall flow of the fight. It would be like scorpion spearing an opponent and the leaving his arm stuck out for no reason for an additional 3 seconds before he can punish them.

Um. What about Shao Kahn and the other bosses's cheap abilities? They should be toned down as well. Also, I hope Jade becomes stronger with her attacks. Other than that, pretty good. I'll play more with Baraka now too. ;-)

SOME OF REPTILES DAMAGE? wow that's an understatement. All of his kombos have been nurfed, easily, by more than 10%. His go to now only does 34%. His hardest one which i think is the 3, 2, 1, elbow dash, jump neutral P, fast force ball, 3, 2, slow force ball, 3, 2, 1, x ray would normally do 58% and now only does 43% or so.

I know, that's still a ton of damage, but really? Using full meter SHOULD warrant that kind of damage when the kombo isn't that easy to land and it's also easy to drop. Plus the meter has more than one use so management is sooo important. If someone goes for it, it should only be used in a dire situation. Risk/reward is non existent now because I can go for the easier one and get the same damage. No sense in going for the hard one, which to me is gonna make things boring to watch.

:( Why NRS?

Wow I really like what nrs is doing here for mortal kombat they really are trying to make this the best MK possible! By making characters more balanced and by making it easier to do juggles with characters. Man I just keep loving this game more and more!:)

Wow I really like what nrs is doing here for mortal kombat they really are trying to make this the best MK possible! By making characters more balanced and by making it easier to do juggles with characters. Man I just keep loving this game more and more!:)

This is a great thing, I just hope they can do something to fix the netcode on this game.
Playing an online match feels like its in slow motion.

Awesome...no more Baraka bashing from people online. Even before the patch he was good in the right hands. I think Ermac and Raiden could use a little nerfing, at least make Raiden's Torpedo Dive move a little slower

I'm cool with them fixing all of that stuff. I'm more concerned about the online play! Can't they also fix all of that as well?

OP said:
Increased the damage scaling on a frozen opponent.

This is not true, the damage inflicted in a frozen opponent was decreased like 4 to 9% depending on the combo.

For example with Sub-Zero

2,1,4 - Xray does 48%
but
Iceball - 2,1,4 - Xray does 40%

and that happens in all the combos including freezing.

Im unable to play so i havent seen the changes yet. I was hoping they would speed up subzeros ground freeze a little too.

They need to fix the room sort function, for some reason it gets sorted in multiple abc orders instead of one complete list.
its annoying when your looking for someones name.

Nice updates. And it's great they finally fixed the Powerhouse that is Kung Lao. And now I'll have more fun picking random and getting Sheeva :p