Spammers?

Re: Im so PISSED OFF right now!

Today I fought a guy who sent me a message that I was a n00b o_O Simply because I was doing combos with Nightwolf which relied a lot of his axes - I like to do a combo which ends with a normal axe + 2 enchanced axes + a last axe + shoulder (over 40% damage). And I was reflecting every special throw he did and for distance I used a lot the lighting. When he jumped, again anti-air axe + axe again + shoulder. And other simple combos, plus the breaker when I need to. I was very surprised by his message and it was not like he was a particulary good player anyway. Very strange.

Re: Im so PISSED OFF right now!

I need to try that dash block, will help me a bunch, especially because im thinking of trying out BarakaXD

Re: Indifference to Spamming

got my first personal message today when playing noob saibot. normally its just in the chatroom window. but this guy friended me thru trmk. hes using kang, and im zoning my ass off because hes got some mean close game. and by zoning i dont mean just spamming as fast as i can. im alternating low/high and staggering my charge/slides to make it difficult. after the first round (hes beaten me across several characters and ive beaten him with a few) he just stops moving, just stands there. i figured he had to walk away or something so i wait. eventually i get a message from him, asking me to "stop spamming noobs moves plz". i was like...? must be a fairly casual player. so i respond telling him how it was actually zoning, and what exactly i was doing (staggering the moves to make it harder to get past). how its a actual fighting mechanic and is how noob meant to be played, i then said how his combos all end with sending the opponent far away...so he can start his zoning again.

good guy, so im not ragging on him, he handed me my ass a few times, specially with his raiden, most i can say is he loves his wakeup attacks..so do i :)

thought it was interesting though, made me a little proud inside, when you play noob saibot and get those kidns of messages its a feel good tickle feeling that tells you your playing him right! haha

Noob is one of the best zoners in the game, if not, "the best" .... so, a well done "zoner game" can be confused for "spamming the hell of Noob's moves", at least , in the mind of people who doesn't understand the advanced concepts in fighting games .....

Reptile can be a strong zoner as well, but, why people don't complain so much about him ? Only because he lacks a low projectile attack ?

I'm by no means a beast at Mortal Kombat, but I can hold my own. That being said, when it comes to people spamming teleports, the block button is your best friend. When they come out of a teleport and you block it, they're going to be stunned for a second and be wide open for you to do whatever you like to them. When playing against Smoke and someone is spamming teleport or the smoke bomb, just hold block. Or act like you're going to move in and throw up your block in anticipation of their teleport. After you block it, sit back and enjoy owning the spammer :)

i didnt pay 60 bucks to experimemt in defending spammers every match. it represents laziness, lack of intelligence and immaturity. this is how games die off early. and all thats left is the community of spammers to whine about other people who are better at spamming than they are. one of these days, people are going to face the facts that you will have to have complex thoughts at some point, and it must transition into your gameplay. the result is variance and being well rounded. i dont see that here. the best ive seen is maybe two memorized three hit combos from one person. this is the future of america people. bunch of lazy dumbarses.

there are 2 type of spammers... the ones who just spam.....and other ones who know how to fight but still spam mutch.. with scorpion and smoke.Most of then i beat... but with view of them its getting hard...cause they know allready your character weak sides also...so u need to change your technics also then :) but its just funny.... when you play ranked matches...and there are coming 4 scorpions in a row...then is one smoke and again 5 scoropions :D and most of time u just need to play with one system then...... its just getting booring..

My fault. I wasn't trying to make this thread a flame war for spammers and spamming characters. Recently in the past few weeks I've been testing multiple characters, and I've settled on Scorpion. To be honest, I rarely use his teleport move, but only when the opportunity allows for it. I liked him because I can actually stop the spammers with him by break the distance with the spear, or if they turtle and block, use hell fire, or to throw them off use that slide-kick takedown move or just to **** with them, use teleport.

Reptile can be a strong zoner as well, but, why people don't complain so much about him ? Only because he lacks a low projectile attack ?

That's probably because Reptile is considered a "slow" or "technical" character, where in his special abilities, are either slow or fast, he has no teleport but a nice rushing move, and if you string together his combos nicely, he can totally own matches with amazing results. But, that's just it, some of his combos are harder to preform, or harder to memorize/spam. I mean, you can spam acid ball or acid spit all you want but I dont see the good in that at all.

As for Noob, I have nothing against the character, just the people who spam his same, quick action, and might I say very simple, move set. Some of his special moves react so quickly together is hard to counter anything he throws at you. Not impossible, dont get my words twisted, just hard, which you would think is a nice challenge but really annoying for the kids who pick him for nothing more than his ability to pretty much "be everywhere" on the stage. If you want to spam to win, hey, do what you got to do, all I'm saying is it makes the game kind of bland when your specials are so easily spammable. (like every 1.5 seconds you can perform the same move, over and over to your hearts desire.) I'm going to be posting another thread soon on a similar topic.

Why People Spam (Please Read)

I want to start off by saying this: this isn't a flame thread, nor is it an open door for everyone to explode as to who they think are the worst spamming characters in-game. Nor is this thread meant to 'bash' anyone who does spam, or to call out all the people who 'rage quit' this game because they hate being spammed on.

I posted a thread about a week or so ago about the indifference to spamming, and why I thought spamming was ruining the game. After plenty of practice, spammers don't bother me much anymore, but I got to thinking; Why do people spam to begin with? The answer. albeit taking a serious amount of common sense, doesn't require much logic. They do it to win.

Now, I've spent the past hour scouring the forum threads, and about every third or forth thread is someone crying and rage quitting this game because they got spammed online and pretty much gave up all hope and quit.I've been down that road, but I never wanted to quit, so now I'm here attempting to give people an explanation and logic behind spamming, so maybe it won't be so hard for people to swallow when they lose a match to someone who does.

Anyone whose anyone has played an online match at least ONCE on MK9. I don't know much about MK vs DC, that game was total and complete garbage, but thats another story for another time.

But, I know it sucks when you spend hours in training mode or in arcade mode kicking ass, and then you go online to showcase your skills when suddenly someone picks scorpion, noob, smoke, kung lao, etc, etc, and starts spamming their specials ( mostly teleport ) like crazy, enough to a point where you don't know whether to attack or defend, feeling hopeless because it seems like no matter what you do, they'll end up just punching you in the face. I know if you're reading this and you've been...for the lack of a better term...a 'victim' of spam, you've already read the forum posts and replies of people telling you to 'block this' and 'punish that', which is all words because without the right amount of practice, they're meaningless.

So here's a few tips to help you out, and a few exercises to help calm you down. First off, the people that tell you to block and punish aren't lying, but it's not as simple as that. Well, it kind of is, but for the most part it comes down to two things; timing and prediction. If you want to catch a spammer in a good block + uppercut/combo trap, call them on their ********. You may have to lose a few times, but I've noticed this game is a lot more about strategy than it is beating your face with the controller to press random buttons and perform amazing combos...it just doesn't work that way. MK isn't a spamming game, albeit it may seem that way when people over-abuse someone's specials. But, in reality it's the opposite; the game gives you the tools to counter and fight back, you just need to practice, fight back, lose a few times, get up, learn from your mistakes, and press on.

And I can't express that enough. Learn from your mistakes. Don't fly into a rage when someone spams the crap out of you. If you try hard but lose anyway, sit back and rehearse the match in your head over and over again and ask yourself "What could I have done differently? Should I have just turtled and blocked liked that? Maybe I was too aggressive..his sub zero kept spamming ice clone, and I kept walking right into every time because I rushed my attack...next time I see that coming, I'm going to step back, or jump over it and counter it with someone else...sweet." You should be thinking along those lines, not "OMFG FGLKFDHFLJGJFDGLKFLKJLFDG THIS GAME!!!! RAWR!"

I mentioned this game is all about strategy, and it's the truth. I played a best out of 5 match with this one dude playing sub zero, and I picked scorpion, and as I chained along combos, after the second match he started spamming ice clone. Now, this guy was by far not a newbie, but since I kept rushing him, he kept locking me into ice clone, and like a sucker, I kept falling for it. So sometimes you need to ask yourself, "Is this person spamming because they suck, or is it because I'm dumb enough to keep falling for the same trick over and over again." Eventually I caught on to what he was doing, so I just distanced myself and punished him with hellfire or a well timed spear. It took some trial and error, and I lost a few times, but I eventually won 3/5 matches because I studied what he did, and countered.

Which brings me to my last point; prediction. Spammers are most notable for doing what? The same thing, over and over again. I know it seems difficult to counter now because your either new or frustrated at this point, but just relax and think about it. If you learn to time your block/counters, its all gravy baby. If he jumps back, uses ice clone, then crouches and blocks, step back, jump over it, use your own special, do something to punish him for it. Say for example, he picks smoke, and spams teleport + smoke bomb. As far as I know, his teleport doesn't break your block, so when someone cries imbalance because they don't block and get hit by the same spammable thing, I can't feel sorry for them. Anyways, he's spamming teleport, so what do you do? YOU BLOCK! SQUEE! See how easy that was? But, the question is, when to block? If he's all over the place, he's going to make it harder on you, but with all spammers, he suffers from pattern behavior. Even if they get their ass kicked, our you uppercut them every time, they will repeat the same move over and over again because it's what they do...they are spammers. Now that you know what they are about to do (because they keep doing it over and over again) you know when to block, and youll eventually learn how to properly counter with combos and such.

On a quick note, I have nothing against sub-zero, he is an amazing character, I was just using him and smoke as examples, and I'm not making fun of anyone or any kombatant.

I hope this thread helps. Sorry if it's long winded, but I put a lot of thought into this and I hope it helps some of you out there not only in the game, but helps you rage a little less too. MK9 is an amazing game, and I'd hate to see anyone quit because they got mad about something that happens to them online. :D Cheers!

Re: Why People Spam (Please Read)

Awesome read...when you keep losing to a spammer, it's not their fault..it's yours..find a way to beat it...

Good s--t. Beating spammer is simple to learn, but not necessarily easy. It takes practice and learning how your character handles and a number of other things. Nice to see a cool-headed post on the matter. :top:

Good s--t. Beating spammer is simple to learn, but not necessarily easy. It takes practice and learning how your character handles and a number of other things. Nice to see a cool-headed post on the matter. :top:

It's not always easy, as a Reptile player, and I'm sure any other character without a teleport, it can be hard to deal with the spam certain characters put out. Kabal comes to mind, if a Kabal player decides to stand at the other end of the screen and spam blades and lasers (or whatever they are), it's almost impossible to close in on him.

I'm not complaining, though, I know a game can't be perfectly balanced and that certain characters simply counter other ones very well.

this is an excellent thread. great job wording it and giving food for thought. kudos to you, +rep

This one time, I got into a fight with a Raiden who did the same thing over and over and over; He would back up, shoot a Lightning ball, and as soon as he could, he would Teleport behind you and grab you, since you were blocking his LB. When you got up (or took the LB to the face), he immediately Supermanned you, sending you FULL screen again.

Now, you may or may not be able to tell it, but I'm a Baraka player; I don't exactly have much in the way of mobility, EX-Blade Charge being the exception, and I just could not figure out how to counter him. Basically, I did this:

I let him back up and shoot his Lightning Balls at me, I would block it, and immediately after I got hit by it, do Baraka's Spinning Blades move (DB3). Like a little.... spammer, I guess, he constantly fell into it, and I won an entire round like that. So we were tied, one to one, and he eventually figured out that it wasn't working on me. It ended up coming down to the last hit, which I lost (CURSE YOU REFLEXED CHOP CHOP! Chop Chop doesn't trump Superman :( ), but I consider it a victory; I'm not that great at this game, and I fought this spammer down from Flawless' against everyone else, to he won by one hit.

WITH who is widely considered the worst character in the game (This was Pre-buff) against one of the "overpowered" characters.

I also loved how during the fatality, EVERYONE in the room was Booing, and he got no Respect points from it, not a single one; five or six people all gave him zeros XD

You know what's worse than spammers?

DESPERATE SPAMMERS

I think i just made that expression up, but hear me out.

I'm talking about players who play well to start off, then they win/lose the first round....

...then they go all out, desperately trying to secure the 2nd win or trying to get back on their feet.

I honestly think they are worse...

Great Way To Limit Spam.

NetherRealms should put a special bar into the game(i'm talking about the next MK)which goes down everytime you use a special move to limit the spam.