Spammers?

Revz

So I had this match last night against a guy using Sektor, I was using Kano. His entire strat was using only his forward missile and his teleport, which is easily punishable when not part of a combo or counter. I would punish his teleport with a 2,1,2 upper ball combo (or some other variation) and throw knives until his next teleport. He literally didn't use a single other attack or try to approach me via jumping/ducking. Anyway, at the fatality he rage-quits and sends me a msg "F'n spammers - all you do is spam specials and combos"

Seriously? rofl what am I supposed to do? Wait for you to attack me and not block before I attack again? I thought using all the tools when appropriate was the point of fighting games.

IMO a "spammer" is someone who ONLY uses specials, even when a poke or a combo is more useful (up close). Seen alot of players like that the last couple days.

Thoughts?

Spamming in fighting games is similar to camping in FPS games. There is no RIGHT way to play the game, I think. That's simply the way that person chooses the play the game, it is their strategy to spam.

My opinion of spamming is that it can be very annoying depending on the character used to do so, but if a person loses to a spammer, in most cases they are no better than the spammer for not being able to adapt to the situation and counter them.

Agreed that's the way I see it. If they spam you and beat you, you are no better than the other person for not being able to stop it. Spamming is just how some people play, and it's just not cool when they are good at it haha, that's when it gets VERY annoying.

Thing is, on a laggy match, because you can't pull off combos and use tactics properly, spammers have an advantage.
That's why people spam... to win. And it works.

In the state in which online play is right now, I DO consider spamming as being a cheap tactic.

Since I created the 000FastConnect room on PSN(filled with people with great connections), and my matches are almost lag-free it's day and night. I can now laugh at a spammer because, even when he Noob/Smoke spams me, and I unfortunately got a slow char., I can do something with quick reflexes and precision.

Death to the Lag!!! Viva la fast connections!!! :)

I say do whatever you can to win, if your opponent cant over come your strategy then that's their problem

In my opinion there is a difference between spamming and zoning.

Zoning is using a move to put pressure on your opponent or punish them for turtling to do chip damage

SPAMMING is a scrub tactic which involves spamming the same move over and over and over again just because. Examples are people that sit there and Noob shadow tackle the ENTIRE match or Raiden torpeedo the entire match and is usually easy to counter

In a galaxy far far away...
spamwars7nt.gif

Spamming is like saying that you only know 1 move with that character so you abuse the hell out of it because its the only way you can win.

Quick recipe for killing smoke and noob spammers= walk 2 steps, block, uppercut/combo, repeat to achieve desired effect(i.e. making someone feel really stupid)

I agree with some of you, but even with the state the game is in I deal with spammers np (jump dash duck), I still get hit some but its all part of the game. It confuses me how some people don't get the use of ranged attacks when you're at range,

Some of the same mind games that happen up close can happen at range. ie Kano "spamming" knives so the other player ducks to avoid chip dmg so Kano uses forward ball and scores a hit cause they weren't blocking. Maybe there is a reason every character has either some way to get past ranged or good range themselves (or both) hmm..

you were probobly playing me, i play a mean zoning game with sektor and missle spam for a few parts if my opponent wants to play keep away with me i will not let up. Sektor up close is sort of slow so he has to play his far range game. He cant switch it up that much and only has a few BnB's. you want to get close to me when im sektor i will use a combo to spread you back then punish you with missiles, and if you think about jumping i have a flamethrower for you. you come any closer and i have a 12B1 juggle you will get hit by and by the end of the combo you will be on the other side of the screen for me to throw missles at you. Sektor isn't a cheap player, he just has a limited moveset and has to use space for his advantages.

i do get lazy with sektor sometimes and overuse his missles then troll people ocasionally if i lose and they get butthurt XD

The thing about spammers is that in a perfect world, there wouldn't be any. But there are.

Fortunately there are ways to adapt. FOR EXAMPLE, every time I go Hidden Cursor and select Reptile, 2 things happen that reveal a potential spammer. 1) They'll instantly go for Noob or Smoke. 2)They'll take a long pause, then go Hidden Cursor as though to appear to have some 'tactic'.

If they go for Noob, I INSTANTLY start rushing, cracking down on the Noob Spammer with dashes and Elbow Dash before they can start anything. Usually they try EVERYTHING, Clone Slide, Clone Upper, etc., and each and every time you just rush them down and knock them with a heavy combo and they're usually to shocked or scared and forget to block our counter. My few online Flawless Victories come from people like this.

I don't usually have trouble keeping my temper over video games, but there are those moments where you see "The player has left the game" and I just start a FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Oddly enough, your ''Cheap'' characters (Such as Raiden, Kung Lao) are the ones we beat really fast. We have troubles with Scorpion and Smoke, and it seems that we have troubles with no one else while fighting.

On topic, we had a very weird spammer who chose Ermac all the time. In order to counter his moves, we'd move up to him but then he'd use the ''Two kicks'' move. (→ O, probably.) We defeated him with ease and sadly he kept on fighting us. Eventually, we got bored. Though he did give us 14 easy wins. :D

Last edited:
Could care less about spammers. I personally troll the hell out of people on MK right now. But, there is no right or wrong way to play a game, as long as I don't intentionally cheat. If you get all bent out of shape because you hate fighting "spammers", get off the game and go outside.

Could care less about spammers. I personally troll the hell out of people on MK right now. But, there is no right or wrong way to play a game, as long as I don't intentionally cheat. If you get all bent out of shape because you hate fighting "spammers", get off the game and go outside.

That's exactly what I do, I go out and lift weights or punch a boxing bag after that happens :p

There's always a way to counter a spammer...I fought a guy who spammed Smoke's Teleport Punch like mad. All I did was block and uppercut...over and over again. He accused me of spamming, so it seems there are double standards even in gaming.

Plus rep for you

I was playing a ranked match tonight and I was facing a Smoke Player with my Kung Lao. And I literally didn't get it.. it felt like mega lag because i was blocking his teleport attacks everytime and i still got hit. I had the R2 button literally held down.

I mean i liked to at least to play with some variety, i don't enjoy spamming but it looks like i'm going need to to get past the first bunch of losers.

There are other things to do besides the same move. And I just don't get it.... on Expert with Kung Lao I can get up to the 5th spot on the ladder without losing a match i come online and i can't seem to block a single attack from a spammer.

My other gripe with spammers is i was playing against a Raiden player the other day he beat me in the first round... in the second round i start to build a comeback and it's looking to be a 50-50. But then he changes his offence and starts spamming Torpedo just as i've almost beat him now i'm trying to block the attack but the response is mega slow i end up losing the round.
It's like these people can not hack losing they will do anything to win, i understand that but if i'm going to be beaten i'd rather you do do it with some skill rather than the same move every 2 seconds.

I found an Aussie Server room recently though and i faced some aussie competitors and it's nice to see fighters play with respect. Had a couple in the server the other night and barely any of them spammed their attacks we had fair fights. Sure i lost most of them but they were close at times. I didn't lose because my opponent snapped and spammed to no end.