Noob Saibot Thread - "We share blood. We are not brothers."

Hey guys, I'm trying to make Noob my second main, but I'm having a hard time with close range combat. Actually, it's a problem I always have: some players just love to stay right next to you, hit you, jump over your head, hit you, jump over your head, hit you, and repeat that over and over and over again, until they're tired of me blocking and throws me away. With some characters I can overcome that, but with Noob it's hard since his combos are so slow and his Shadow Upknee doesn't work very well when the opponent jumps over you. So please, help me here.

what you described is a form of spamming. people often think that if you do a special move over and over and over, that is the only form of spam. in reality, it's not. doing the above over and over and over and nothing else is spam too.

your best bet (and how i treat it) is to do whatever you can do to gain space again. use D+3. when people do nothing but jump over you, if you hold down and tap D+3 repeatedly, you will throw out these little footise taps that are super quick and push the opponent away. the space you create will usually be obtained with 3 taps of the 3 button. after that, immediately issue a shadow charge or upknee. if you do the shadow charge, it will pull them way back giving you a zone reset. if you do an upknee, it will give you similar space, but also provides you added protection if they try to attack during your upknee (since Noob actually turns away and ducks as the shadow shoots up).

once you gain your zone space back, continue with your strategy. most likely, the opponent will try to get in super close again and get back into their rhythm of jumping over you again and again. to prevent being caught up in this scenario again, you need to work on baiting them. there are many ways to do it, so if you need any tips on that, let us know and we can give you some help.

Thanks guys. I'll practice all of this and see how I can handle it.

One other thing: how is Noob's meter better used? I tend only to use his X-Ray and Ex-upknee. The ex-upknee seems really good for me, not only for wall combos, but also for zooning, since it has a wider ranger than the standard upknee and can hit enemies when they start jumping, not letting them get too close.

I really need to work on my footsies and spacing. And figuring out exactly when to use which combos vs who

i've broken down Noob's combos into 4 primary's. if you want my advice, let me know and we can practice on the PS3 with a mic or i can post here.

One other thing: how is Noob's meter better used? I tend only to use his X-Ray and Ex-upknee. The ex-upknee seems really good for me, not only for wall combos, but also for zooning, since it has a wider ranger than the standard upknee and can hit enemies when they start jumping, not letting them get too close.

EX ghost ball = i don't use
EX charge = i don't use
EX knee = i only use in corner combos
EX slide = i don't use
EX teleport = use all the time!
EX blackhole = use all the time!
Xray = use only after a combo (121+xray or 212+xray) or if i land a ghost ball and then bait

let me know if you need more details on this

i've broken down Noob's combos into 4 primary's. if you want my advice, let me know and we can practice on the PS3 with a mic or i can post here.

i have no mic, really should get one with my next paycheck. feel free to post here tho for everyones viewing pleasure :)

shadow charge=useless EX, it soley does more damage.

Shadow slide=marginal, it actually knocks them down (giving you advantage) and moves them closer to you. def has its uses, tho rarely and usually you can do something nonmeter for better/easier positioning...imo at least.

teleport= also soley for more damage

ghost ball= in the corner can be a great way to trap them as it reverses their controls, some really good players might figure it out fast enough but it only takes one mistake for noob to nail you with a 30-50% wall combo depending on meter.

upknee= increases range, slightly different angle, larger hitbox, more damage...its probably the best special to use Ex for, and when you use EX upknee you can squeeze in a shadowcharge, in the corner it leads to BIG damage combos.

breaker=the other best use, yes i know its not a special, but it is a integral part of the game

xray=from full screen its nearly instant, can be used to punish zoning if your struggling and at a life loss (when full screen), can punish jumps as well. useful, probably 3rd best use for meter next to upknee and breaker

edit: FORGOT BLACKHOLE...i only use it as a mixup/mindgame in my zoning since they usually dont see the ex one coming due to its speed and i can still do a 27-35ish% kombo out of it.

EX ghost ball = i don't use
EX charge = i don't use
EX knee = i only use in corner combos
EX slide = i don't use
EX teleport = use all the time!
EX blackhole = use all the time!
Xray = use only after a combo (121+xray or 212+xray) or if i land a ghost ball and then bait

let me know if you need more details on this

EX charge = i don't use = Good against Jade/Kratos

EX knee = i only use in corner combos =I somewhat agree, I'll use it also when they block my normal upknee and I think they'll let go of block after it a EX knee will reach them.

EX slide = i don't use = Good against characters with bad wake ups.

EX teleport = use all the time! =This on the other hand I do not use lol. Only if I think the damage will help me kill them.

EX blackhole = use all the time! =only occasionally, when it doesn't work I'm VERY sad, I still feel like even the EX black hole is avoidable on reaction.

shadow charge=useless EX, it soley does more damage.
This is wrong.

You do Know your ex shadow charge BEATS out reflecting projectile based moves? like Jade's Glow, and Krato's reflect move. and because of this if you punish them for trying to reflect you enough. you condition them to be afraid of you having a bar and taking damage. So it opens up a window of opportunity for you to apply Normal pressure.

Let me make an example.

I fight against a Jade and I'm noob saibot.
I notice jade likes to glow on wake up. So I throw out a EX shadow charge, and she gets knocked out of it. I do it again so she learns her lesson. next time I get a bar, If she has any brains she'll most likely start blocking instead. Now is when you can use your normals instead of EX and start building pressure against her with the EX shadow charge fear.

EX charge = i don't use = Good against Jade/Kratos

EX knee = i only use in corner combos =I somewhat agree, I'll use it also when they block my normal upknee and I think they'll let go of block after it a EX knee will reach them.

EX teleport = use all the time! =This on the other hand I do not use lol. Only if I think the damage will help me kill them.

EX blackhole = use all the time! =only occasionally, when it doesn't work I'm VERY sad, I still feel like even the EX black hole is avoidable on reaction.

This is wrong.

You do Know your ex shadow charge BEATS out reflecting projectile based moves? like Jade's Glow, and Krato's reflect move. and because of this if you punish them for trying to reflect you enough. you condition them to be afraid of you having a bar and taking damage. So it opens up a window of opportunity for you to apply Normal pressure.

Let me make an example.

I fight against a Jade and I'm noob saibot.
I notice jade likes to glow on wake up. So I throw out a EX shadow charge, and she gets knocked out of it. I do it again so she learns her lesson. next time I get a bar, If she has any brains she'll most likely start blocking instead. Now is when you can use your normals instead of EX and start building pressure against her with the EX shadow charge fear.

oh man, i did not know that the EX charge goes through the parry and reflect! what about the other EX moves for the knee and slide? aside from the obvious, what do they do that is special? for instance, do all EX moves go through the parry/reflect? does an EX move beat and EX move when it comes to an opponents EX move (cage's red kick, jax's EX dash, etc)?

How can I use EX Black Hole? And why is it good?

EX bh is good for three reasons:

1. no matter what the command you input on the controller, it always goes directly overhead of the opponent. this makes it easier for you so in the heat of battle, you may mess up and press DF and the EX bh will still go on top of them (where as DF in a regular bh, it would go behind them).

2. the EX bh is extremely fast and catches a lot of people off guard!

3. the EX bh also delays them falling from the sky. this give you more opportunity to prepare for a follow up combo.

oh man, i did not know that the EX charge goes through the parry and reflect! what about the other EX moves for the knee and slide? aside from the obvious, what do they do that is special? for instance, do all EX moves go through the parry/reflect? does an EX move beat and EX move when it comes to an opponents EX move (cage's red kick, jax's EX dash, etc)?

I do most of my testing with jade. But Noob is my 2nd character. Finding out what beats what should be the focus for these "EX" moves you find useless.

EX slide puts them on the GROUND TOWARD YOU. making a wake up game. A normal slide does not do this. which is why I said EX slide is good against people with bad wake up attacks. Or predictable ones. If you know a raiden always teleports upon wake up, you can EX slide to recreate the situation and get another free combo because you are good at reading their wake ups. Raiden is a bad example because he actually has good wake up mix ups lol. But You get the point.

How can I use EX Black Hole? And why is it good?

• BH as a general rule is Noob's best Anti-Turtling weapon, due to the fact that it's unblockable. The only way your opponent can avoid it is to release block and physically move.
  • The EX variant falls much faster than the normal BH, which usually means you have a higher chance of catching your opponent off-guard with one as opposed to the normal BH.
  • The EX variant also drops the opponent slower, allowing you more time to start your free combo. Even if you botch said free combo, the EX one drops the opponent on their head for I believe 8% extra damage (so 4% for the initial drop into the portal, and 8% for the impact of falling on their head), and offers you advantage given the length of the recovery time from an EX Black Hole drop.

any of you guys see the tym video of a guy explaining noobs double reset combo? potential of 84% damage and slight possibility to mindgame it too (switching to slide or different timing on the shadowcharge)

apparently hte first hit can be rolled out of but is difficult to jump out of without taking a shadowclone and then zone is at advantage with zoning. the second reset it cant be rolled out of but easier to jump apparently.

that and of course wakeups like raidens tele or maybe even superman would stuff it i wouldnt be surprised. tho i already have a black hole reset JUST for raiden/smoke teleporters :p, feels freaking great when it works too.

but for the double reset im kinda liking it, not too hard to escape but the fact that it works perfect as a punish is freaking amazing. allowing noob to have great punish potential on top of his zoning and mindgames.

EX slide = i don't use

Shadow slide=marginal, it actually knocks them down (giving you advantage) and moves them closer to you. def has its uses, tho rarely and usually you can do something nonmeter for better/easier positioning...imo at least.

Wow, this attack is seriously underrated.

EX Slide is EXCELLENT.
Providing you time it right, you can really abuse players with it. Very effective way of controlling space because you can slam someone toward you at any opportune moment. You can easily throw them to the nearest corner from there.

Put this in your strategy and you'll be surprised just how well and how often it works. A lot more than Teleport at the very least, as it's generally a lot more unexpected. It takes meter but it's worth it as a setup.

Wow, this attack is seriously underrated.

EX Slide is EXCELLENT.
Providing you time it right, you can really abuse players with it. Very effective way of controlling space because you can slam someone toward you at any opportune moment. You can easily throw them to the nearest corner from there.

Put this in your strategy and you'll be surprised just how well and how often it works. A lot more than Teleport at the very least, as it's generally a lot more unexpected. It takes meter but it's worth it as a setup.

I call complete bull *hit on this. the EX slide is only good for 1 thing....when the opponent is sorta close to you and you do the EX slide to bring them right up to you and then you grab them as they stand up. other than that, tell me exactly how good this move is and how it's better than the teleport?!? at least the teleport can be used in a combo. please...back up what you posted, i'm curious to hear this.

I call complete bull *hit on this. the EX slide is only good for 1 thing....when the opponent is sorta close to you and you do the EX slide to bring them right up to you and then you grab them as they stand up. other than that, tell me exactly how good this move is and how it's better than the teleport?!? at least the teleport can be used in a combo. please...back up what you posted, i'm curious to hear this.

I wasn't comparing the two being used in combos, but standalone. They're both really used for the same thing - knock your opponent down and get close to them, typically for a grab. But teleport is very anticipated, and it's easier to hit people with a fast slide. With an EX slide you basically accomplish the same thing as a teleport, but with a better and safer chance of landing it.

Your opponent doesn't need to be "sorta close to you", EX slide throws them far enough that you can dash in and STILL grab them, because of Noob's awesome range. The faster you get someone to that corner the better, this is a way you can move your opponent across a lot of ground to get there. People generally expect it a lot less than the common teleport.

Last edited: