Opinionated Tier List

enemaofthestate

I personally enjoy scouring the Internet looking at tier lists and peoples opinions on the subject. I have had MK 9 since about the time it came out, and am fairly competent at it. I have made my own tier list after much online experience, tournament participation, etc. Here is my own tier list for everyone. ( I am aware it takes months after the release of a fighting game for a proper tier lost to be released, but this is just for fun.)

Top Tier
Kung Lao
Jade
Reptile
Kabal
Liu Kang

High Tier
Nightwolf
Ermac
Raiden
Johnny Cage
Smoke

Mid Tier
Cyrax
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Scorpion
Jax
Sonya
Kitana
Sub Zero

Low-Mid Tier
Baraka
Mileena
Stryker
Noob
Cyber Sub-Zero

Low Tier
Quan-Chi
Sheeva

I could explain why i put these characters where, but instead if anyone asks i will just reply with my reasoning.

Jade, Kabal, and Lui Kang should be switched with Raiden, Ermac, and Cyrax. Sub Zero and Johnny cage should be Top Tier also

IMO Top tier is
Raiden
Ermac
Kung Lao
Cyrax
Sub Zero
Reptile
Johnny Cage

How so sir?

i dont necessarily think one combatant sets itself apart from another. ive beaten ladder with all characters and its a matter of taste and the particular opponent. you dont select a character on what he/she can do to someone, you select a character that can work around what you know is coming.

im serious when i say, its a matter of taste. a player with baraka, who feels natural with his style could destroy the best kung lao player if he knows his stuff down to the last button. why? because baraka's offense is his defense. this is the story for many bouts online. from what im seeing in all these tier lists, its just ranking ease of use. the characters at the bottom are more effective than the ones at the top if somewhat mastered.

A tier list is something of speculation among a community of players about who they think has the most potential as a character. Yes you can argue that a master Baraka player can take out a Master Liu Kang player, but it all depends on the players. This list is assuming the player knows what he/she is doing and can effectively play against another user who has relatively the same skill. Sure, it can be easier to master, say, Kung Lao than Sheeva or Baraka, but Kung Lao has more potential than either, and thats what this list is about.

lol @ having Mileena and Cyber-Sub low-mid tier. Also, you think Kabal and Jade are S tier? I don't think so. :) But I'd still like to hear your thoughts on why you put them godtier.

This is my "post patch" tier list:

S tier: Sub-Zero, Reptile, Johnny Cage, Kano, Nightwolf, Kung Lao, Raiden

A tier: Kitana, Cyber-Sub, Ermac, Mileena, Scorpion, Kabal, Sonya, Shang Tsung, Liu Kang

B tier: Cyrax, Jade, Stryker, Smoke, Noob Saibot, Sektor, Sindel

C tier: Baraka, Jax, Sheeva, Quan Chi

Last edited:
Elder God Tier:
Kung Lao
Raiden

God Tier:
Smoke
Johnny Cage
Ermac
Noob
Cyrax
Reptile

High Tier:
Scorpion
Quan Chi
Sub Zero
Kitana
Meelina
Nightwolf

Mid Tier:
pretty much the rest of the cast

Low Tier:
Baraka
Sheeva
Jax
Kano

Elder God Tier:
Kung Lao
Raiden

God Tier:
Smoke
Johnny Cage
Ermac
Noob
Cyrax
Reptile

High Tier:
Scorpion
Quan Chi
Sub Zero
Kitana
Meelina
Nightwolf

Mid Tier:
pretty much the rest of the cast

Low Tier:
Baraka
Sheeva
Jax
Kano

You forgot Shang Tsung and Cyber Subby.

I have been plaing with Quan-Chi and i think he will be high tier(medium or higher) once a real tier list gets made.

I have been plaing with Quan-Chi and i think he will be high tier(medium or higher) once a real tier list gets made.
lol no way. Even with his Rune Trap he gets blown up easy at tournament level. Without his Rune Trap Quan Chi will be free for everyone. :)

i dont necessarily think one combatant sets itself apart from another. ive beaten ladder with all characters and its a matter of taste and the particular opponent. you dont select a character on what he/she can do to someone, you select a character that can work around what you know is coming.

im serious when i say, its a matter of taste. a player with baraka, who feels natural with his style could destroy the best kung lao player if he knows his stuff down to the last button. why? because baraka's offense is his defense. this is the story for many bouts online. from what im seeing in all these tier lists, its just ranking ease of use. the characters at the bottom are more effective than the ones at the top if somewhat mastered.

wut

Anyone have any clips of high-level CSZ gameplay? I'm not talking about badass combos, but where people are actually playing with him in a high-level game?

The reason I ask is because I don't think he's low-tier at all, but I haven't seen any high-level play with him, so I don't really have anything to back that opinion with.

well i'll take a stab at well here we go
kratos, done.
Spoiler:
prank-call-bart-simpson.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any clips of high-level CSZ gameplay? I'm not talking about badass combos, but where people are actually playing with him in a high-level game?

The reason I ask is because I don't think he's low-tier at all, but I haven't seen any high-level play with him, so I don't really have anything to back that opinion with.

Match starting at 1:48.

REO makes great use of dash blocking + dive kick to bypass Ermac's zoning. Though Floe still manages to adapt and counter his offense.

But yeah, you can easily see in that video why Cyber Sub is a great character. A good placed dive kick can't be punished except by very fast specials and quick dash cancel uppercuts or something like that. EX dive kick is completely safe on block. He has great offense, mobility and mixups + a decent counter to deal with rushdown characters.

I personally enjoy scouring the Internet looking at tier lists and peoples opinions on the subject. I have had MK 9 since about the time it came out, and am fairly competent at it. I have made my own tier list after much online experience, tournament participation, etc. Here is my own tier list for everyone. ( I am aware it takes months after the release of a fighting game for a proper tier lost to be released, but this is just for fun.)

Top Tier
Kung Lao
Kitana
Reptile
Kabal
Raiden

High Tier
Nightwolf
Ermac
Liu Kang
Johnny Cage
Smoke

Mid Tier
Cyrax
Sektor
Shang Tsung
Scorpion
Jax
Sonya
Jade
Sub Zero

Low-Mid Tier
Baraka
Mileena
Stryker
Noob
Cyber Sub-Zero

Low Tier
Quan-Chi
Sheeva

I could explain why i put these characters where, but instead if anyone asks i will just reply with my reasoning.

Now you're talking.

Thanks, Vulcan. That makes me like him even more and wanna keep developing my game with him. Reo's also good about adding the slide after a single hit.

That second match pained me to watch with that last throw simply because you know he's lost when he's soooooo close to winning.

Alright, as pretty much a noob, but just looking at what players can do and which characters SEEM to have alot of potential, here's my (probably completely crappy) tier list:

Top Tier
Johnny Cage
Liu Kang
Kabal
Kung Lao
Raiden

High Tier
Cyrax
Reptile
Sub-Zero
Kitana

Mid-Tier
Scorpion
Ermac
Nightwolf
Noob
Shang Tsung
Smoke

Low Tier
Baraka
Sheeva

Don't know yet
Cyber Sub-Zero (I'm guessing high-tier actually, just a hunch. He seems to have some very good moves, and his dash is very fast. Only played him once though, but he doesn't seem low tier like many are saying)

Jade (only really toyed around with her special moves.. not sure what she can do when people get passed her staff. Guessing mid-tier)

Stryker (mid- or high-tier. He seems like an unpredictable character. His gun is hard to dodge since it fires twice, plus his grenade and roll are very good)

Sonya (What I noticed is that it's hard to anticipate how to block against her.. otherwise I've only played around with her special moves so far. I think a good player could come far with her. High- or mid-tier.)

Jax (most of his moves can be blocked high or are very telegraphed. His various throws are good for confusing the opponent though. Mid-tier, probably)

Sektor (don't know anything about him, aside from his missiles are annoying to dodge)

Quan Chi (haven't tried him at all)

Mileena (High- or mid-tier. I've only ever seen good Mileena players so far, they usually trash me, but maybe it's because I don't know how to block and punish her moves yet)

Last edited: