TylerLantern first online match (video)

Jakarta

Nice stuff, I need to add those extra combo hits for my Sub-Zero. Now I gotta see Check at work.

Last edited:
Nice match. It looked like there was minimal lag. My online matches are WAY more chaotic than that. lol

I think he could've used the Ice clone a few times against that jumping Kano. Nice use of the slide in combos. He also could've had a few knockdowns if he completed his 2,2,2's.

Too bad the other guy didn't know how to use Kung Lao much. Staying away and jump triangle kick above Reptile's acid ball/Sub's iceball, roll then punish with a few surprise F+2 when a bit closer not used at all.

A few surprise Kano cannonballs, but most of them could've been blocked easily.

Again, nice fight. I wish my online fights looked like this all the time. :)

Not impressed.

The Kung Lao he faced: zero wake-up spins. Zero spins period. Of course you can close in space on a Kung Lao with 0 oki. The reason why Kung Lao is dangerous is that he makes you fear any approach due to his impossibility to be read. 11 low hat, 11 spin, 11 tele, 11 dive kick. If Kung Lao does none of that he's basically just "Stuntman" in this game.

The Kano he faced was even worse. His only offense was spins and x-rays. The spins weren't part of a punish, they were just random input spins that any tourney play would block and punish with their eyes closed. The x-ray was painfully obvious to see coming, especially it being Kano's. On top of that, he didn't even dash block a sub zero. Replay the video, he just jumped back and forth like my dad does when he plays with me. Anyone half decent knows never to jump back against a Sub Zero. It's a 99% guaranteed slide.

Overall, the opponent was pretty awful. And I'd give Tyler credit if he took advantage of the fact that he was awful and punished his mistakes. But he didn't. He played with just as many mistakes, but he just knew the more damaging combos.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling TylerLantern a scrub. But watching the PDP National tourney all weekend, I can safely say he'd get wrecked at any major MK tournament right now. He's got the BnB's down for both characters. And, sure, that makes the gameplay look nice. But his anticipation is pretty lackluster.

If you want to attribute that to online lag, go for it.

Last edited:
His opponent looked like he just picked up the game. I'd be more impressed if this guy was attending tournaments. Check was called out already by Tom Brady, lets see if he "answers".

Bill (Thats Tom Brady) was inebriated when he called him out, but there was truth in what he said. Check is decent at pulling off long strings of combos. And thats after massive practice. He was chosen as a tester only because of his popularity, and Tom was nearly right in what he said. check's only defense was "its disrespectful to talk behind someone's back" but Bill has let him know how he feels in person. Check is a hack, sorry to any fans out there. TylerLantern is also a hack. Sure, he has skill, but like someone previously noted, his skill lies solely in his ability to chain lengthy combos together.

Tyler WOULD be Check's protogee if the two didnt have a quarrel between each other. Check thinks tyler stole some of his combo videos from a few years back, and to tell the truth, Tyler is guilty of attempting to boost his own popularity by making false YT accounts and posting comments with them on his own videos. Either of these guys in a tournament scene would get eviscerated (no pun intended).

Thats why i admire Bill. Not only does he preach having knowledge of the game, but he backs it up by supporting the community, making character guides, attending streams and tournaments while enlightening the willing as to the intricacies of the gameplay.

This match showed no "high caliber" gameplay that we're accustomed to seeing from Tyler. He's out of his element in a 2D mk, he was used to Mk vs DC. Hes definitely not a weak player, but i dont think he deserves the accolades and attention he gets. Same goes for Check. They arent doing anything beneficial to the MK community but practicing the same combo for hours, recording it, and posting it on YT.

Tyler and Check videos are fun, impressive and very technical, in a standpoint regarding teaching about engine possibilities for combos, and about exploring all combos combinations in MK 2011.

But this guy Tom Brady seems to know what he talks, exploring more the game in a strategic point of view, about zoning, baiting, defense, counter-attack and pure rushdown attack.

More or less as Tyler and Check were the "harlem globetrotters" of MK, they can show lots of skill in chaining and linking hard technical combos, but, they are not invencible in the strategy field and pure 1vs1 competition.

Tom Brady could care less about trying to put a tough hard-to-execute 15 hits combos all the time, and instead work more in the oportunity moment in the match, knowing when to advance , and when to retreat during a hard fight. He can manage to do some hard combos if he wants, but, it's not obsessed with, prefering to read and study the oponent moves, and, if a single 3 hit combos can end the match with a win, and he caught the chance to use it because that works, he will do it.

Round One Fight... Tyler jumps on a Kung Lao.....

He was probably recording and trying to show off, but damn... even *I* know that you should never, ever jump on Kung.

For the record I think his videos are impressive, but he is by no means a tournament player

Mmh, honestly I'm not impressed, he did pull out some interesting combos, even using tag assists, but he is nowhere near the skills of tournament player. Looking at the video, I think even myself could beat him, If only my online matches were without lag, I can barely do a 2-hit combo..: |

you know if i didnt care so much as to learn something about every character in this game, i might be that good. lol

His opponent looked like he just picked up the game. I'd be more impressed if this guy was attending tournaments. Check was called out already by Tom Brady, lets see if he "answers".

man.. i swear.. in nearly every one of your post's you mention 'tom brady'
tom brady this, tom brady that.. seriously.. whats the deal?

on topic: yeh wasnt to impressed, i was expecting more from tyler,
and he missed 2 or three golden opportunities with subzero to do 35% + combo's, but opted for a simple 20% something, when he showed later that he could easily do the big combo.
lots of assist slide were used , some at interesting times and to good use, other's not so.. too much sliding, wasting your metre.

"man.. i swear.. in nearly every one of your post's you mention 'tom brady'
tom brady this, tom brady that.. seriously.. whats the deal?" TOM FIN BRADY LOL Hes a nice guy! :D id like to see him vs Check for sure ps he signed my fight stick LOL

attachment.php

giving us noobs a class on how to beat Kung Lao! :p

Tyler Has elevated MY game 1000 fold. I have mastered a lot of his 50 to 60% combos with a 80% or more success rate in pulling them off all the way through (IN GAME NOT PRACTICE MODE). Some of the more complicated 26 hits combo's I only take bits and pieces from. I have mastered combo'ing with about 8 characters so far. I find some of his combo's aren't worth the effort because of the damage scaling. Tournament player or not he has made this game way more enjoyable than Mr.Tom Brady. IMO