Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PIC : MK Characters By Aeonseraph

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

PIC : MK Characters By Aeonseraph (http://aeonseraph.deviantart.com)

Primary Goal of the Project:
    It's a non commercial project that is primarily a tribute to both, John Tobias and Ed Boon as well as Classic MK Games. Eventually i intend to present this project as a showcase portfolio to NetherRealm Studios in hopes to someday get a job opportunity there and maybe meet with Ed Boon as well as John Tobias if possible.

How it all Began / Collaboration with Dr Doggystyle:
    Everything began when Mortal Kombat 2011 got announced at E3 in 2010. After watching first trailer as well as Demo presentation, something clicked within me. This new Mortal Kombat game not only gave a great sense of nostalgia but also brought up memories from my childhood, which started a chain reaction of events happening. I started to remember what exactly were the reasons that inspired me to become an artist, i also remembered what exactly were my greatest sources of inspiration as well as learning material.

I also got a strong urge to gather all of the classic art that influenced me as a kid and shaped me into an artist i am today. That's exactly what i've been doing these past few months, it's also the reason why i made the Retro Art Hunting section where i ask the community to help me out finding the rare art that is nowhere to be found on the internet (at least not in the decent quality).

In the process of gathering all of this classic art i felt like i was going back in time and for a moment was feeling like that kid again. I also got a feeling that i need to do some fanart based on the original art done by John Tobias just like i did back then, so i started making some linearts, chain reaction didn't stop there. While making linearts i made a decision to redesign all of the art that was my source of inspiration and MK was definately on the top of the list. I registered at the TRMK forums and after finishing first character i resumed the search for the MK art. After hitting the absolute dead end i knew that if i really want to achieve my goal, i will need someone to help me out and so i remembered Dr Doggystyle (a.k.a. Bryan) and his amazing collection. These days people are very selfish and don't bother helping out others, but i risked and contacted him because you never know untill you try. I wasn't expecting anything but he took me by surprise by accepting the collaboration request. Bryan has been and still is very forthcoming, and i'm very grateful for all of his help.

So now this project has gotten a lot more serious now. For past few day's both of us have been working very hard on gathering all the art and the process is still ongoing. Bryan has scanned and sent a lot of stuff, and now i'm making the transparent png renders of the character art, which we decided to share with community when the collection is completed. I'm sure that there are others like me who are on the hunt for this stuff so we will make your life a bit easier.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here goes Sheeva - the first finished character from the series. Feel free to check out this image with full description at my DeviantArt Portfolio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE : 2011.05.20.
    Yesterday i spent whole day making renders of the characters from the Official UMK3 Arcade Secrets Guide which was provided by Dr Doggystyle. I did all 25 characters, and also made renders of Noob-Saibot and Rain because they weren't included in the guide, it wasn't hard to make those two since all the ninjas from that time are a color swaps. ^^

Here goes design comparisons of original Sheeva and my version:

Next two characters are unfinished, what you see are the original art and my versions with base colors without any shading.

About Sindel, i noticed that her hands are a tiny bit too small, so i will definately fix that when resuming work on her.

Btw, the original art in these images are the renders i mentioned above. BIG thanks to Dr Doggystyle for providing me the scans! ^^
    Last edited by Aeonseraph; 08-06-2011 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Update

PSN
    nick_ste_22
    Steam
    unknown_assassin695
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

Re: PIC : MK Characters By Aeonseraph

Wow that's great :D
    Good job dude I really like ot see the development p of it.

Any chance of seeing a SubZero some time? :P

... Fear is a Luxury ...

Prepare To Feel Death's Cold Embrace!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

Thanks, i'm glad U like her. You can check the development at my DA page, just click the link, you'll see ^^
    And yeah, you'll definately will see SZ sooner or later. I simply wanted to begin with little less popular characters. I intend to make all roster from the new mk + shinnok, fujin, sareena, reiko, rain, tanya, well, its pretty much all characters from MK1 to MK4 including MKM:SZ ^^

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

wow good job! I'm not a fan of Sheeva but damn you made her really good! can't wait to see your work on other mk fighters!

PSN
    nick_ste_22
    Steam
    unknown_assassin695
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeonseraph View Post
    Thanks, i'm glad U like her. You can check the development at my DA page, just click the link, you'll see ^^
    And yeah, you'll definately will see SZ sooner or later. I simply wanted to begin with little less popular characters. I intend to make all roster from the new mk + shinnok, fujin, sareena, reiko, rain, tanya, well, its pretty much all characters from MK1 to MK4 including MKM:SZ ^^
    Nice dude can't wait :D
    Will you ever try to make some custom charactes? :P

... Fear is a Luxury ...

PSN
    lord-primal
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

Bahhh. I hate when I see things like this... It puts my art to shame.

That's just awesome man, I have to say. I guess I won't bother doing any Sheeva art in the near future...

Then again she is a favorite of mine...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

ninja : Thanks, i'm glad that someone who isn't a Sheeva fan likes this version. ^^

_Unknown_ : Will i ever do a custom character?, hell yeah, you can definately count on that. I made a bunch of them as a kid back in the 90's, now i just need tore-make them with my new skills.

KORE : Thank you. I believe that the more diversity we have the better so don't let me stop you from making art of your own. We artists, need to use our talents and bring more atention to MK, i'm just playing my part.

PSN
    nick_ste_22
    Steam
    unknown_assassin695
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

_Unknown_ : Will i ever do a custom character?, hell yeah, you can definately count on that. I made a bunch of them as a kid back in the 90's, now i just need tore-make them with my new skills..
    That's cool, if you ever feel like taking a suggestion of a custom character tell me :P (read >This Topic< maybe you like my character :P)

oh and @the sheva fan, I don't like Sheva as a character, her look in MK9 is ok I guess but you made her awesome :P

I love your avatar btw, interesting concept for the "one being"

... Fear is a Luxury ...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

I saw it the other day and was amazed. It was so amazing I thought it was something made by Netherrealm Studios but then I thought why would NRS use the Sheeva MK3 render? Amazing my good man and I hope you do a Jade one soon and Smoke (Human of course lol).

Xbox Live
    mrpopsic1eman
    PSN
    mroblation
    Steam
    mrpopsicleman
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

I definitely miss all the cool John Tobias artwork from the old strategy guides and instruction manuals. This is a really cool idea for an art project. If your Sheeva is any indication, all of these are going to turn out great.

Black Dragon Recruit tremor_209's Avatar
    Twitter
    @tremor_209
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

WOAH!!!! O_o!!!

MORTAL KOMBAT ! ! !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

_Unknown_ : Thanks again ^^ about custom characters, well for now i want to continue working on the classic ones, but after i finish all the basic cast then yeah, anything can happen. Perhaps along the way i will make some concept sketches and share with you guys so could help in the development process with your ideas.

flawless31490 : Thanks man, i appreciate that. It seems that i achieved my goal. I spent extra time working on the layouts and style of the presentation sheet so the art looks very official and complete. That is because eventually i want to present this project to Ed Boon and also to John Tobias, i want to know what they think about this. Who knows maybe some day NRS will offer me a job opportunity, miracles do happen. ^^ And yes, both Jade and Human Smoke are somewhere on my to do list.

mrpopsicleman : Yeah i really miss his older stuff as well, i'm a huge fan of the classic MK3 / UMK3 art he did for the promotional stuff as well as the guides. So yeah, the goal of my project is to recreate all of the old art with new, fresh touch. It's like reintroducing classics for new generation

Actually this brings me to another related topic, can anyone help me out? I'm desperately trying to find the art listed below:

I have no idea what is this, some sticker book or guide, but i need it, in it there is all of the primary art i need.

This is from UMK3 Official Arcade Secrets, i know that there is at least one TRMK member who has it., he goes by the name Dr Doggystyle i believe. I only need all of the character art from this guide.

He also has these cards:

I would also like to get this illustration. I remember seeing it in it's original state in one of the magazines here in Latvia back in the 90's.

If anyone has it, can you please scan this stuff in 300dpi and send it to my mail at : aeonseraph@hotmail.com
    This way you could really help me out in this project, i will also credit the person as the source of my reference materials.
    Last edited by Aeonseraph; 05-17-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

You need some more character art from MK3? I got a link to where you can get all the characters. Have you tried this link yet?

http://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?s...contentID=4219

PSN
    nick_ste_22
    Steam
    unknown_assassin695
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

_Unknown_ : Thanks again ^^ about custom characters, well for now i want to continue working on the classic ones, but after i finish all the basic cast then yeah, anything can happen. Perhaps along the way i will make some concept sketches and share with you guys so could help in the development process with your ideas.
    Can't wait to see the other MK characters :D
    (if you ever wanna try my character just tell me :P, I wish I could do this kind of stuff and make him myself lol)

... Fear is a Luxury ...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

flawless31490 : Yeah i already have all of the art from MKT, i mean this version. But there is a difference between the art that is available online and the art that is in this particular guide. That online version looks rushed, plastic, and uncomplete, but the art in the guide on the other hand is polished, more organic and complete. Here i made an example to show you my point. But thanks anyway. ^^

Last edited by Aeonseraph; 05-17-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

Great news fellow Kombatands!

Dr Doggystyle has joined my project and is agreed to provide me with all of the source material i need, so expect to see new works coming up in near future.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

Your artwork is awesome, can't wait for future pictures:D

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

I did a line art style on Jade a while back based on her MK3 pose but redesigned my style. Would you also like to do my redesign on her?

PSN
    nick_ste_22
    Steam
    unknown_assassin695
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

Great news fellow Kombatands!

Dr Doggystyle has joined my project and is agreed to provide me with all of the source material i need, so expect to see new works coming up in near future.
    Can't wait =]

... Fear is a Luxury ...

Xbox Live
    sOolehigh23
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks

nice art homie, my question to you if you can answer and provide some insight on "LINEART". Im an artist myself but i use alot of no.2 pencils/mechanical thats it. I dont to much deal with coloring and rendering just shading with lead.

PS-mannnn i remember having that GamePro issue back in the day, nice find and nostalgia!!
    Last edited by LOOK_TO_LA_LUNA; 05-18-2011 at 04:18 PM.

"YOU CANT SEE MEEE!!"

Thread Information