I wished it would be Cyber Smoke instead of Cyber Sub-Zero

white_ninja

Anyone else? I think CSZ is a cool addition but I don't like the fact that they made it canon. It would have been much better if they have sticked to the original storyline with Smoke being captured after the events of MK2. We could have a human Smoke character and a Cyber Smoke to unlock by playing the story mode.

The MK3 part just didn't feel right with Sub-Zero being a refrigirator. Even if I don't like the Joaquin Phoenix version of unmasked Sub-Zero very much I think it would have been pretty cool to see this Subby alternate protecting Earthrealm and getting his legendary scar!

We've never seen cutscenes in old 2d games, that's why it was awesome to play MK9 story mode. We've seen the tournament, Scorpion killing Bi Han, Jax losing his arms, Sindel's resurrection etc. I'd like to see Cyber Smoke protecting his former friend Sub-Zero from Sektor and Cyrax. Like a fight between mission and human's conscience
mk3-ending08.png

Not that I don't like CSZ, but this character should have been once or twice in the challenge tower similar to Reptile's "cyber version" there as well. Well, he made it on the roster...
For me, making CSZ canon is the only big flaw in MK9.

Just found this one. That's how badass Cyber Smoke could look like. It would be so awesome to have two Smokes instead of two Sub-Zeros on the roster
cyber_smoke_koncept_mk9_by_pyrodark-d3euzn0.png

gotta say I disagree.. I get that Subzero is a trademark and lots hated the fact they got him to become a cyborg but it was something new and refreshing and no one says that the games after won't have human Subzero anymore, maybe CSZ will be the starter one and human unlockable or alt costume or DLC so it's all good, he won't vanish from now on. plus, from Smoke's point of view, idk why but Smoke as a cyborg was always really cool to see and play with but if they did the same thhis time around, human Smoke wouldn't have the chance to shine. he got his own moveset, it was full of smoke effects, both costumes look great, he's a beast player really if you master him and it wouldn't be the same for the people as DLC. I mean, sure he'd still have what I mentioned just above but in the starting roster and finally becoming something other than scorpion in grey he had the change to REALLY show it from the start, unlike a DLC release. I hope CSmoke is released as DLC though, some member here on trmk did basically cyrax with smoke effects and his colors and looked amazing. can't wait to see him as DLC and it's a definite buy for sure

TBH I prefer human versions for Smoke and Subzero
Cyborgs are cool, but I dont really like them story wise (a part from Sektor and Cyrax), Smoke would be ok since we were used to it after the old MKs. But subzero IDK, in the story I was hoping Raiden will somehow get Subzero back to his human form XD

I totally disagree. I main both Smoke and Cyber Sub-Zero. I feel that the twist by which he was added to the canon made perfect sense, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it play out.

I love how they both play, and without Cyber Subby I wouldn't have my first main Human Smoke. If we didn't get Human Smoke then Sub-Zero II would have remained human and I wouldn't have my second main.

My god am I the only one tired of seeing Cyber Smoke for the 1000th time?

The 2nd Timeline is a godsend to me, and I don't mind any bit of it.

I think he's an excellent character and really like that they changed that part of the storyline. He looks badass (the best in the game), his moves are great and the fact that Smoke doesn't get changed into the blurple ninja he was in MK3 is great, too.

Yeah, I kind of felt that Sub-Zero should have stayed human, but it was definitely a really interesting turn they took. Smoke was pretty much a side dish before this game. They gave him some serious personality. And the CSZ-Sektor cutscene was one of the best moments in Story Mode...

"Your neural network is corrupted!"
"MY SOUL HAS BEEN CORRUPTED. NOW IT IS CLEANSED!"

I thought it was a really nice unexpected twist in the storyline. I also thought that the design team did a really fantastic job with him. He's one of the coolest looking characters in the new game IMO. I don't particularly care for his moveset or how he plays in general, but it is certainly quite unique which is nice.

I will most definitely be very disappointed if he remains a cyborg in the next MK game though. I'm totally fine with what they did as long as it isn't a permanent part of the storyline and more of a "what if" kind of thing. I suppose that I would be ok with it remaining that way as long as both versions are playable. However, it just wouldn't feel like MK if Subby wasn't his normal self.

Now, as far as Smoke, I have always preferred him in his human form. Again, I think the design team did a great job with him. I'm not crazy about his first outfit (with the long white hair), but his second one is awesome. To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of any of the cyborgs to begin with. I find them to be interesting additions, but never quite got into them. I would be fine with them adding Cyber Smoke in as future DLC, but I would not be pleased if it were just another costume. If they are going to do it, they would have to give him his own unique moveset back from the old days. I think that would make a fine addition to the already fantastic roster, but hey, the more the merrier IMO.

Now, as far as Smoke, I have always preferred him in his human form. Again, I think the design team did a great job with him.

Some of you didn't understand my point. I always wanted Human Smoke in MK9 and I think they did a great job. My version of bringing Cyber Smoke would be exactly the same way they do it with Sub-Zero meaning not replacing human Smoke with cyborg, but have both after playing story mode!

No An A Yes.

YES: Sub Zero Was Slow So We Have Cyber Sub Zero To Use

NO: I Would Have Peferred Smoke For Cyber But Have His His Human Form i dont mind the hair

I wish they'd keep all four, five (human smoke and cyber, human subzero, bi han costume and cyber subzero :p)

Anyone else? I think CSZ is a cool addition but I don't like the fact that they made it canon. It would have been much better if they have sticked to the original storyline with Smoke being captured after the events of MK2. We could have a human Smoke character and a Cyber Smoke to unlock by playing the story mode.

The MK3 part just didn't feel right with Sub-Zero being a refrigirator. Even if I don't like the Joaquin Phoenix version of unmasked Sub-Zero very much I think it would have been pretty cool to see this Subby alternate protecting Earthrealm and getting his legendary scar!

We've never seen cutscenes in old 2d games, that's why it was awesome to play MK9 story mode. We've seen the tournament, Scorpion killing Bi Han, Jax losing his arms, Sindel's resurrection etc. I'd like to see Cyber Smoke protecting his former friend Sub-Zero from Sektor and Cyrax. Like a fight between mission and human's conscience
mk3-ending08.png

Not that I don't like CSZ, but this character should have been once or twice in the challenge tower similar to Reptile's "cyber version" there as well. Well, he made it on the roster...
For me, making CSZ canon is the only big flaw in MK9.

Just found this one. That's how badass Cyber Smoke could look like. It would be so awesome to have two Smokes instead of two Sub-Zeros on the roster
cyber_smoke_koncept_mk9_by_pyrodark-d3euzn0.png

I agree, even though they implemented cyber sub-zero into the story, i'd still rather have cyber smoke.

Seeing as CSZ is the direct result of Raiden's meddling with the timeline, if it hadn't happened, and Smoke got converted again, what would you have changed instead? Something needs to be different, otherwise the outcome would have been the same (which is the opposite of the whole point of the story).

Cyber Sub-Zero is as of now the 6th least popular character and he will probably get surpassed by Mileena and Shang Tsung in a near future. Considering the ranking shows the use of a character is ALL modes, Cyber Sub-Zero would have some advantage since he had a part in the story mode, the other two didn't, but he still is near the bottom 5. I think that pretty says it all about the reception of fanbase towards Cyber Sub-Zero.

I don't feel that any character in this game is bad as long as you can play them correctly, but there's really not much going on to Cyber Sub-Zero. Apart from his failure in the ranking a month after the release, he's far from being original special-move wise, he's not particulary good combo-wise, and I have to disagree with the person who said it was a "unexpected twist" to have Cyber Sub-Zero: it was obvious from the beginning that was going to happen. There was absolutely no need for Cyber Sub-Zero to exist, let alone to be a stand alone character. If only had they done to him what they did to Cyrax and Sektor, Cyber Sub-Zero should have been just an alternate of the regular Sub-Zero with the same moveset (with few adaptions of course). My fingers are crossed for Mileena and Shang Tsung to pass Cyber Sub-Zero in the ranking so that MK Team can see the mistake they did in MK9.

I think CSZ and CS are both interesting characters different enough from there human counterparts. I personally prefer there human aspects much more but that cutscene between Bi-Han(Noob) and CSZ was awesome.... a cool way to see blood brothers end there relationship. the subtle changes from the orginal story should make any MK happy.... this is by far the best thing to happen to MK in a long time ( not that legacy is bad) Its a new for MK and I cant see what great ideas they have in store for us..... not to mention DLC characters where we could get Cyber smoke anyways

I hope CSmoke is released as DLC though, some member here on trmk did basically cyrax with smoke effects and his colors and looked amazing. can't wait to see him as DLC and it's a definite buy for sure

When he comes up as DLC, I hope he comes equip with his planet destroying fatality.

I'm glad they had the stones to make a big change. MK fans are absolutely rabid, which is great. They are also wildly protective of tradition, which is a mixed bag. Why tell a story that's already been told? Sure they have a chance here to tell it more fully but, push come to shove, they have already told MK, MKII, and MK3's story. This is an Alternate Timeline and if all the changes made are aesthetic (Jax's arms) or unimportant (Nightwolf participating in the first tournament) then why bother? Making big changes made retelling the story a valid artistic decision.

Spoiler:
Johnny Cage surviving because Raiden kills Motaro. Kung Lao really being killed, not just being wounded. Sub-Zero being turned instead of Smoke.

These choices are among the reasons that this Story Mode was so interesting to me. They tell the tales of the original tournaments more clearly and fully and they also change things up. Change is what keeps things from becoming trite and stale. People may not be good at accepting change, lol, but it is very necessary for any serialized form of media that plans on being successful for a number of years.