Kabal Thread - "Let's See What You're Made Of!"

So far, my main BNB is:

J.1 > B.1, 2, 1 > F.Dash > F.3, 2, Nomad Dash > F.3, 2, Hooksword Tornado

EDIT: I believe this does about 36% damage mid-screen with no meter.

...has anybody else noticed that Kabal's X-Ray gets raped by damage scaling when put into combos? Seems pretty ridiculous to me. Also, some of the damage scaling just plain doesn't make sense. If I incorporate Kabal's X-Ray into that BNB early on into the combo, it actually does MORE damage than if I were to tag it on at the end. More hits = less damage? WTF?

So far, my main BNB is:

J.1 > B.1, 2, 1 > F.Dash > F.3, 2, Nomad Dash > F.3, 2, Hooksword Tornado

EDIT: I believe this does about 36% damage mid-screen with no meter.

...has anybody else noticed that Kabal's X-Ray gets raped by damage scaling when put into combos? Seems pretty ridiculous to me. Also, some of the damage scaling just plain doesn't make sense. If I incorporate Kabal's X-Ray into that BNB early on into the combo, it actually does MORE damage than if I were to tag it on at the end. More hits = less damage? WTF?

Same BnB for me, now it does 34% because of the nerf. Yeah, Damage scaling works that way: more hits, less damage. When I want to use Kabal's X-ray I usually do it instead of the Dash during that BnB. Otherwise, I just keep the bar for breakers/EX Tornados when I want to be cool and do 1% of additional damage..XD

Same BnB for me, now it does 34% because of the nerf. Yeah, Damage scaling works that way: more hits, less damage. When I want to use Kabal's X-ray I usually do it instead of the Dash during that BnB. Otherwise, I just keep the bar for breakers/EX Tornados when I want to be cool and do 1% of additional damage..XD

Yeah, I find that Kabal is generally pretty weird when it comes to meter usage and X-Rays. I've pretty much settled on the fact that it's only ever worth using the X-Ray if it's either: A) Toward the end of the 2nd round and my opponent is just about dead; B) To punish something without using it in a combo due to damage scaling screwing it over.

Also, where some characters get a huge boost from EX Specials (IE: Cyrax), they really don't benefit Kabal unless you really want that extra 2% damage or whatever. The only time an EX Special seems legit is if you're pinned down in a fireball war and want that super armor for EX Nomad Dash.

For these reasons, meter for Kabal seems primarily only useful for combo breaker situations.

anyone could help me out with a strategy vs liu kang? he punches and kicks so fast he just locks me down. if i attack and he blocks ill try to grab but he will be able to attack before i can grab. any advice?

also aggressive reptiles give me trouble as well

The combo has been reduced 2% but now they also buffed up his corner combo. Im almost positive that you could only B1,2,1 a total of 3 times before the juggle automatically fell. Now you can B1,2,1 4 times in the corner. So they actually buffed his corner combo damage but it requires more hits now.

JP, B1,2,1, JP, JK, B1,2,1, B1,2,1 Nomad dash, JP, b1, 2, 1, F4, 1, tornado slam. Thats the 49% that is shown in one of the videos. the jump kick has to be delayed and is extremely hard to land properly.

anyone could help me out with a strategy vs liu kang? he punches and kicks so fast he just locks me down. if i attack and he blocks ill try to grab but he will be able to attack before i can grab. any advice?

also aggressive reptiles give me trouble as well

Those are the easiest ones to win with kabal lol.... First off, kabal should never be losing by a reptile. Ground saw will put an to any elbow dash or acid slide coming your way. If he trys to acid spit you he will lose to ground saw again. If he jumps towards you, you can air gasball him.

Liu kang can't kick you if you gasball spam him. If he throws a low fireball, the gasball will still hit him. If you find out you are trading projectiles with kang, then throw out ex gasballs and ex ground saws as soon as your bar is available. Never block low against liu kang or his combo will murder you. Don't exchange combos with kang cause his combos and speed are too vicious unless you know you can get a nomad dash in him and can do a nice combo.

Those are the easiest ones to win with kabal lol.... First off, kabal should never be losing by a reptile. Ground saw will put an to any elbow dash or acid slide coming your way. If he trys to acid spit you he will lose to ground saw again. If he jumps towards you, you can air gasball him.

Liu kang can't kick you if you gasball spam him. If he throws a low fireball, the gasball will still hit him. If you find out you are trading projectiles with kang, then throw out ex gasballs and ex ground saws as soon as your bar is available. Never block low against liu kang or his combo will murder you. Don't exchange combos with kang cause his combos and speed are too vicious unless you know you can get a nomad dash in him and can do a nice combo.

Thanks ill try to be more aggressive with the ranged attacks, I think one of my bigger problems was low blocking then that allowed him to start the juggle. Thanks for info!

I practiced for about an hour today and I gotta say... Kabal is a monster. I am seriously considering training with him and maining him.

He doesn't have big midscreen combos and using the dash kinda cripples the damage but his mix ups and his pressure game is amazing. He can also zone pretty well.

How I battle against ermacs is that I just try to stay close, dash cancels into block, buzz saw, and his command grab seem to mix ermac players up. Once he misses a attack, bnb him . Try not to toss out a random dash cause if blocked, It can surely be turned into a 50% ermac bnb combo. You do have to block a lot vs ermac but be wary cause this builds his meter fast. With all the teleporters you have to really try to bait them into a punishable attack .

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

You know, I didn't like Kabal when I first picked him up to play....

But I was playing as Baraka, and when I finally got "Combo Minded", I started thinking I should try out Kabal again. Boy, am I glad I did. I might have to jump back to him...

I felt this warrented a Bump:

So his Nomad Dash has NO reason NOT to hit anyone. You Dash, and if they jump, you hit them with the Dash. If they Block, quickly do a Buzzsaw and they are hit Low. If they Duck Block, Tornado Slam is a Medium. If they counter, Kabal can quickly Gas Blast them out of it. His Specials have got to be amongst the most useful in the game.

Let it be known; Canceling your Ex-Dash with another Ex-Dash sucks very much.....

Last edited:
I personally think you should add a standard combos list and an advanced combo list. Ive started to learn Kabal today and im finding he has some pretty nice combos.

I have 2 BnB's

(JP) B+1,2,1 - Nomad Dash - F+3,2 - Hooks
(JP) 1,1 - Nomad Dash - B+1,2,1 - JP - Air Gas Blast

And my Xray BnB is
(JP) B+1,2,1 - Nomad Dash - F+3,2 - X-ray

Played around in practice and sort of found a reset that may get a few players

[JP] + B1 2 1 + FF + F3 2 + BF4 + B* + B1 2 1* + FF + F4
* Press B to move back a little so that only the last hit in the string 'B1 2 1' contacts.
9 Hits - 30%

Opponents usually block standing after that string, so:

FF (optional) + 1 1 B4 + BF4 + B1 2 1 + FF + F4
6 hits - 16%

Repeat if necessary.

If opponent keeps blocking high, then keep doing that second string.

Reset is defeated by a Crouch + D2, but if opponent doesn't do anything while crouching then just follow up with:

1 1 B4 + DB2

I'm open for suggestions on improving the above. Is it a good idea to use it or not? I'll upload a visual reprsentation if necessary.

Last edited:
Played around in practice and sort of found a reset that may get a few players

[JP] + B1 2 1 + FF + F3 2 + BF4 + B* + B1 2 1* + FF + F4
* Press B to move back a little so that only the last hit in the string 'B1 2 1' contacts.
9 Hits - 30%

Opponents usually block standing after that string, so:

FF (optional) + 1 1 B4 + BF4 + B1 2 1 + FF + F4
6 hits - 16%

Repeat if necessary.

If opponent keeps blocking high, then keep doing that second string.

Reset is defeated by a Crouch + D2, but if opponent doesn't do anything while crouching then just follow up with:

1 1 B4 + DB2

I'm open for suggestions on improving the above. Is it a good idea to use it or not? I'll upload a visual reprsentation if necessary.

some good info for kabal players

You know what the best BnB is?
You get an easy kombo that has 28% dmg, that needs no nomad dash. It is also very practical online but dont expect it to be fancy.
(with no nomad dash to stun into) B 121 FF 32 into hook sword slam.
Extremely easy to do and practical. It is my BnB, since I cant usually use combos that need nomad dash cuz thats how I usually start the combo (with nomad dash). With nomad dash to stun into the combo you 22%.

You know what the best BnB is?
You get an easy kombo that has 28% dmg, that needs no nomad dash. It is also very practical online but dont expect it to be fancy.
(with no nomad dash to stun into) B 121 FF 32 into hook sword slam.
Extremely easy to do and practical. It is my BnB, since I cant usually use combos that need nomad dash cuz thats how I usually start the combo (with nomad dash). With nomad dash to stun into the combo you 22%.

i guess if you start with dash its good bnb... but fj1,b1,2,1,fj1,gasblast,nomad dash,b1(whiff),2(whiff),1,dash,f3,2,tornado slam is the flashiest awesomest bnb everz