Nightwolf Thread - "Ancestors Give Me Strength"

Okay, Nightwolf is progressively turninig into my strongest character now.

As much as people rage about KL and Raiden, NW is a pretty damn good counter for them!

But christ, Mileena and Kano. Damn...what the Hell is with those two? Maybe it's just me, but I find those two exceptionally hard to beat with NW. Especially a turtling Mileena or a Kano spamming ball and knives all day long.

Nice and easy X-RAY combo that I haven't seen posted:

B1-1, DF1, DF1, B2, X-RAY (51%, 10 Hits; start with JP 54%, 11 Hits)

My main bnb with Nightwolf:
B1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder - 32%, 9 hits

At this point I am not really using any meter combos with Nightwolf and I use them as wake-up attaks (they all have armor) or for very specific situations, but my best and most useful meter combo with Nightwolf is:
B1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, enhanced axe swing, 1, dash+1, shoulder, 38%, 12 hits
Stab neck, enhanced lightning, axe swing, dash+1, enhanced axe swing, dash+1, dash+1, 1, shoulder, 41%, 14 hits

My loving x-ray: B1, 1, axe swing, axe swing dash+1, 1, xray - 48%, 12 hits

Last edited:
How to punish teleporters with Nightwolf

Nightwolf is actually a very good punisher for teleporters if you know what to do. People generally do uppercut, what they seem to ignore is that Nightwolf can do so much more than that! Here's an insight for the answers to each kind of teleport:

Rolling up in the air (Scorpion, Smoke, Ermac, Noob Saibot, Sektor, Quan Chi).
- Uppercut (D2) - 11%
- Axe swing, choke - 16%
- Axe swing, axe swing, shoulder - 17%
- Axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, dash+1, 1, shoulder - 23%
- Axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder - 23%
- Axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, dash+1, 2, choke - 26%

Mileena's teleport kick and sais - do shoulder, her teleport mix-up is pretty safe and Nightwolf cannot punish it with axe swing.

Kung Lao's teleport - do a simple uppercut for meterless choice (axe swing is pretty unsafe because I think Kung Lao's mix-ups have priority) or you can use a meter bar to do his enhanced axe swing, which has armor, and Kung Lao teleport mix-ups will not work and he will me caught:
- Uppercut - 11%
- Enhanced axe swing, axe swing, shoulder - 21%
- Enhanced axe swing, dash+1, dash+1, 1, shoulder - 23%
- Enhanced axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder - 23%
- Enhanced axe swing, dash+1, 2, 2, choke - 25%

Raiden, Rain and Cyrax's teleport - try to jump over them and start a combo with JF1 starter. You can punish Rain and Cyrax's teleport with uppercut, but Raiden's is too fast.

Skarlet's teleport - do shoulder, I'm not sure if they patched Skarlet already, but the recovery time of her teleport was much faster than Nightwolf's axe swing before, hence why I do shoulder for a much faster reaction time.

i dont play nightwolf very much, i know he's a beast, but his fighting style really doesnt grab me..
that being said,
when i do use him, ..or get him in random..

simple combos, cant recall damage.

i like f+3,1,axeswing,2,choke

or, f+3,1axeswing,EXaxeswing,2,Exchoke,

i notice you guys prefer, b+1,1 instead of f+3,1

i find it hard to cancel into moves after b+1,1.

any tips?? pro's and cons?

My main bnb with Nightwolf:
B1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder - 32%, 9 hits
I find B1-1 to be too slow of a starter unless they're stunned by a jump punch. If I block a string then try and catch them with one of my own, I find 1-1 works a lot more often simply because it's faster.

My loving x-ray: B1, 1, axe swing, axe swing dash+1, 1, xray - 48%, 12 hits
B1-1, axe, axe, B+2, XRAY, will give you 50%, jump punch adds 4%.

B1 IS too slow, but I use it always with JF1 starter.

1 is Nightwolf's fastest combo starter and for fast reactions it is the best one, but damages too little compared to B1.

I cannot connect B2 with the two first axe swings, even if I dash, probably I am not being fast enough, I prefer to use an easier combo even if I sacrifice 4% damage :p

i notice you guys prefer, b+1,1 instead of f+3,1

i find it hard to cancel into moves after b+1,1.

any tips?? pro's and cons?
B1 is a much slower combo starter but the overall damage is much higher than F3, since it has more hits with B1, 1.

For damage value, B1 is the best choice for Nightwolf hence why I use it. F3 has a con, as it hits low, the opponent can jump to punish you easily. But I DO use his F3, 1, 2 - that combo is a beast in corners.

I do not use 1, 2, 2, axe swing since negative edge makes it unbereable for me to use. Negative edge kills Nightwolf.

Yeah that 1-2-2, axe swing will do the same damage as B1-1, axe swing, but you're right, unless you input the axe swing pretty much as he swings the last 2, he'll go into choke instead. I still don't like B1-1 unless I catch them in an easily punishable string, just because it takes too long to start up and I can't always land my JPs.

I'm surprised you find the 50% XRAY difficult, I can hit it every time really. Don't have to dash at all. Just JP, B1-1, DF1, DF1, B2, XRAY. Just need to time the B2 properly and hit the XRAY soon after.

How to punish teleporters with Nightwolf

Nightwolf is actually a very good punisher for teleporters if you know what to do. People generally do uppercut, what they seem to ignore is that Nightwolf can do so much more than that! Here's an insight for the answers to each kind of teleport:

Rolling up in the air (Scorpion, Smoke, Ermac, Noob Saibot, Sektor, Quan Chi).
- Uppercut (D2) - 11%
- Axe swing, choke - 16%
- Axe swing, axe swing, shoulder - 17%
- Axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, dash+1, 1, shoulder - 23%
- Axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder - 23%
- Axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, dash+1, 2, choke - 26%

Mileena's teleport kick and sais - do shoulder, her teleport mix-up is pretty safe and Nightwolf cannot punish it with axe swing.

Kung Lao's teleport - do a simple uppercut for meterless choice (axe swing is pretty unsafe because I think Kung Lao's mix-ups have priority) or you can use a meter bar to do his enhanced axe swing, which has armor, and Kung Lao teleport mix-ups will not work and he will me caught:
- Uppercut - 11%
- Enhanced axe swing, axe swing, shoulder - 21%
- Enhanced axe swing, dash+1, dash+1, 1, shoulder - 23%
- Enhanced axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder - 23%
- Enhanced axe swing, dash+1, 2, 2, choke - 25%

Raiden, Rain and Cyrax's teleport - try to jump over them and start a combo with JF1 starter. You can punish Rain and Cyrax's teleport with uppercut, but Raiden's is too fast.

Skarlet's teleport - do shoulder, I'm not sure if they patched Skarlet already, but the recovery time of her teleport was much faster than Nightwolf's axe swing before, hence why I do shoulder for a much faster reaction time.
Just played a Cyrax. When he teleports you can start a chain with 1-1-axe swing, ruined his game.

For JF1, I find B1 to be a much safer combo even on block. I do get why people say that sometimes it's hard to connect it with axe swing, but it takes practice. IMO it is much safer that 1, 1, axe swing on block. I actually tend to use 1, 1 followed by a 1, 1, 4 because if I do a axe swing, I may be punished by certain characters.

Seriously, negative edge should be REMOVED from this game permanentely. It is UNBEREABLE to play Nightwolf online. SEVERAL TIMES a simple uppercut is replaced by a reflector! I mean, seriously, it gets RIDICULOUS. If I input D2, I want a fricking uppercut! The worst is that reflector, while being a fantastic tool, takes too much recovery time. I get some characters may improve with negative edge, but so many are literally killed by it. If I input a certain amount of bottoms, I want the character to respond it correctly.

I will try on that x-ray again. Nightwolf's x-ray is fantastic if comboed since there's not nearly as much as scaling damage as for other characters...

Last edited:
Just played a Cyrax. When he teleports you can start a chain with 1-1-axe swing, ruined his game.
Makes sense. 1, 1, axe swing is fast enough to catch Cyrax, however, if timed wrongly, Cyrax can uppercut you. Many Cyrax spoiled brats use teleport to uppercut you and 1, 1 just doesn't have the range to catch lower I think. Cyrax used to be one of Nightwolf's worst matches but thank lord enhanced specials now have all armor and enhanced shoulder has hyper armor. It's still a pain in the ass to beat a good Cyrax player...

Actually it does and it's a great one.

If I am not mistaken it is his enhanced wake-up special that takes more damage and it's the best against rushers since it has armor and Nightwolf has priority and, addiotionally, it will take the opponent away from you. However, it's a bit unsafe if blocked.

For enhanced wake-up attack choices:
- Enhanced shoulder - hits overhead and it has hyper armor. Only punishable if the opponent uppercut you extremely fast.
- Enhanced axe swing - has priority and has armor, if sucessful can lead to a easy 25% combo and it's safe on block.
- Enhanced choke - has priority and has armor, it takes the greatest damage out of all his specials, but it can be unsafe on block.
- Enhanced lighning - unblockable, has armor, perfect for those who duck waiting to uppercut your shoulder and it can lead to 30% combos. It is however easily punisable if the opponent jumps over you and it's the one that takes more animation time to start, but still fast enough for a good wake-up choice.

Yeah I use the EX Shoulder quite often, haven't messed with the others so much. I tend to use a lot of my bar on EX Lightning when my opponent's knocked down. Pops them back up and I'll either give them the shoulder or an arrow.

Any tips on using JPs? For some reason I'm absolutely awful at landing them on people, yet I get smacked with them non stop.

Definately JF1, B1, 1, 1.

I believe it's Nightwolf's most damaging combo starter. While B1 is indeed a slow starter on its won, it's 100% safe with a JF1.

JF1, B1, 1, 1 - it's completely safe on block, there's no danger to be punished.
JF1, B1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder deals 35% on its own meterless.

For JF1 (jump punches), you have to punch only when you're near your opponent while in the air. If you do a punch right in the beginning of the jump, it won't work. It takes practice, I've playing like this since UMK3, I'm obcessed with jump punches LOL

Definately JF1, B1, 1, 1.

I believe it's Nightwolf's most damaging combo starter. While B1 is indeed a slow starter on its won, it's 100% safe with a JF1.

JF1, B1, 1, 1 - it's completely safe on block, there's no danger to be punished.
JF1, B1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, axe swing, shoulder deals 35% on its own meterless.

For JF1 (jump punches), you have to punch only when you're near your opponent while in the air. If you do a punch right in the beginning of the jump, it won't work. It takes practice, I've playing like this since UMK3, I'm obcessed with jump punches LOL

Lol I swear it's hard for me not to jump punch sometimes

My main 1 meter bnb from Nightwolf:

JF1, B1, 1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, enhanced axe swing, 1 (time it well), dash+1, dash+1, 2, 2 shoulder ---> 45% I believe.
Good to counter a powerful Cyrax player who relies on his fantastic 1 meter combos + inumerous resets IMO

So far I haven't found a good doable 2 meter combo online for Nightwolf. Anyone knows one that deals at least 50%?

I'm done with Nightwolf's x-ray for now... I don't even want to use it anymore...

My main 1 meter bnb from Nightwolf:

JF1, B1, 1, 1, axe swing, axe swing, dash+1, enhanced axe swing, 1 (time it well), dash+1, dash+1, 2, 2 shoulder ---> 45% I believe.
Good to counter a powerful Cyrax player who relies on his fantastic 1 meter combos + inumerous resets IMO

So far I haven't found a good doable 2 meter combo online for Nightwolf. Anyone knows one that deals at least 50%?

I'm done with Nightwolf's x-ray for now... I don't even want to use it anymore...

I know u can use the enhance lightning after the ehanced axe swing. So maybe add that in there.