East Coast Throwdown Tournament in NJ (part of EVO)- June 25-26

kergon

Some more details here.

East Coast Throwdown 3 is a part of EVO 2011. It's being held in Morristown, NJ on June 25 and 26.

They are having a bunch of games in the tourney: ($10 fee for each)
MK9
UMK3
MvC3
Tekken 6
SSF4 AE
BlazBlue CS
SF3 3rd Strike
Skullgirls
Street Fighter X Tekken

I can't wait to go and am practicing on both MKs and MvC3. The best part is I only live 10 minutes away.

UPDATED: SkullGirls animated fighting game will also be there. Added SFxT too.

Last edited:
This could be a fun time. I might have to go check this out. I'm only about 15 minutes from there. Looks like it's time for me to brush up on my skills, lol. I haven't been to a tournament since the MK1 Tourney at Exhilarama next to the Echelon Mall in Voorhees. Man, I'm really showing my age there huh, hehe.

^ i used to LIVE at Exhilarama. i used to live a 10 min walk from there. I was young tho n beatin up on dudes who were like 20 for fun. hahaha. U might have been one for all i know hahaha. We should play some on Live if u have it.

This could be a fun time. I might have to go check this out. I'm only about 15 minutes from there. Looks like it's time for me to brush up on my skills, lol. I haven't been to a tournament since the MK1 Tourney at Exhilarama next to the Echelon Mall in Voorhees. Man, I'm really showing my age there huh, hehe.

To funny, i am from the area ...this guy said Exhilarama lulz. I use to play and sell move list guides to MKII there back in the day. Little lazer tag too when i was taking a break from MK

^ i used to LIVE at Exhilarama. i used to live a 10 min walk from there. I was young tho n beatin up on dudes who were like 20 for fun. hahaha. U might have been one for all i know hahaha. We should play some on Live if u have it.

Haha, yeah sure coulda been. Although it was pretty friggin rare that I ever lost a game of MK1. I was ridiculously good at that game. I enjoyed MK2 as well, but for some odd reason I wasn't quite as good at it. Not that I was bad at all, but I actually lost upon occasion on it, lol. At the tourney I was recalling in my post, I found out about it at the last minute and unfortunately had gotten there just after they had closed signups, so I couldn't enter. I stayed around and watched the entire thing though, and when it was over all of the seasoned players (including the tourney winner) stayed around for a few hours to play some more. I got the chance to play against them all and handed EVERY LAST one of them their asses, lol. So I was kinda pissed about getting their so late, otherwise I might have won the damn thing, but at least I left the experience with a cool story to remember it by. I hung around that place a whole lot though, so theres a very good chance that we have run into each other or even played a few games together. I also used to hang out at the La Martinique bowling alley as well. At the time, they had a fantastic setup of games in the little arcade they had. They had MK!, MK2, UMK3, Killer Instinct, and Primal Rage, just to name a few. One of the unfortunate things about frequenting establishments like those places is that eventually you start to get a reputation. I've always been an extremely nice and friendly guy, so that part of my reputation was always a welcome plus. The bad part is that I also had a reputation of being pretty much the best player around of some of those games. Mostly MK, but I was really good at Killer Instinct as well (loved that damn game, lol). Having that kind of reputation really blows because nobody ever wanted to play me and there were so many times that I'd sit there for the better part of a day just playing the computer till I got bored and took a break. At which point I would notice people flocking to those machines like they were giving out free plays, lol. As soon as I would come back from my break, sure enough they would all disperse again. Of course there were still those that had no idea who I was and I would get a few games in before they got pissed off and started breaking my balls. It's definitely no fun not being able to enjoy being good at something that you enjoy doing. I was even lucky enough to have a MK1 machine at my high school during my freshman year and it didn't take very long before I was yet again playing the entire lunch period all by myself because nobody had the balls to play me.

As far as Live, yeah bro I've got it and I'd gladly play with ya. Just hit me up, my gamertag is M0RPHEUS27 with a number zero, not a letter O. I'm not on as often as I'd like to be but just send me a message and I'll try to get on when I've got the time. I'm actually gonna try to get on there now. I could certainly use all the practice I can get, and I'm always up for meeting friendly people to game with. I just can't stand half of the whiny little punk ass kids on Live, lol. Talk to you soon bro.

cool sounds good man. yeah i had to have seen u around. i used to go to the bowling alley also. they also had samauri showdown which wasnt amazing but was kinda fun hahaha. i loved killer instinct as well. i know what u mean about the rep too. i was glad when ultimate mk came out and u could continue playing once ubeat it if u picked like the third icon and beat smoke hahaha. that was always good cuz people couldnt duck u then. My gamer tag is Smash U4Fun Son. add me if i dont add u first.

yo fuma i used to sell those also. we used to copy them at the library across the street n sell them n use the money to play more games hahaha. so funny.

yo fuma i used to sell those also. we used to copy them at the library across the street n sell them n use the money to play more games hahaha. so funny.

Lol damn right. I spent the better half of my lower teens trolling that mall. Actually my first date was at that small movie theater that was there before the arcade was even up. Think i might have smoked one of my first joints behind that library also lmao

This is all too funny man. We MUST have all run into each other at some point. Hell, Fuma, I might have even helped you finish one of those joints, or perhaps you even shared one of mine, lol. That was often my pre-game ritual before putting the first quarter in the slot. I spent alot of time behind that damn library, hehe. I also had many many dates at that hellhole of a movie theater. I had fondled many a woman there, lmao. Man, was that place friggin foul, but the ticket prices were so damn cheap and we were usually hanging out at the mall anyway. Otherwise I don't think that I would have ever stepped foot into that nasty ass place. Actually, if I remember correctly, the very first time I saw the Mortal Kombat movie was in that theater with a whole bunch of Exhilarama friends. Damn I miss that place (the arcade, not the theater, hehe). I was there so often that I made friends with just about everyone that worked there. My cousin even worked there for a while, so I got freebies occasionally. Todays arcades suck in comparison. Hell, that new one they added at the mall a few years back reminds me of a damn Chuck-E-Cheese. I guess it's a nice place for the little kids to enjoy (both my 2 and 4 year old dig it, lol), but it's nothing compared to what Exhilarama was back in the day. It's so funny to run into locals here at TRMK of all places. I live in Somerdale, where are you guys located?

BTW, on a side note, I agree that the Lazer Tag at that place was the bomb, haha.
Also Fuma, do you have a Live account in addition to PSN? That would be so badass for the 3 of us to start a KotH room and pretend like it's the old days, hehe.

This is all too funny man. We MUST have all run into each other at some point. Hell, Fuma, I might have even helped you finish one of those joints, or perhaps you even shared one of mine, lol. That was often my pre-game ritual before putting the first quarter in the slot. I spent alot of time behind that damn library, hehe. I also had many many dates at that hellhole of a movie theater. I had fondled many a woman there, lmao. Man, was that place friggin foul, but the ticket prices were so damn cheap and we were usually hanging out at the mall anyway. Otherwise I don't think that I would have ever stepped foot into that nasty ass place. Actually, if I remember correctly, the very first time I saw the Mortal Kombat movie was in that theater with a whole bunch of Exhilarama friends. Damn I miss that place (the arcade, not the theater, hehe). I was there so often that I made friends with just about everyone that worked there. My cousin even worked there for a while, so I got freebies occasionally. Todays arcades suck in comparison. Hell, that new one they added at the mall a few years back reminds me of a damn Chuck-E-Cheese. I guess it's a nice place for the little kids to enjoy (both my 2 and 4 year old dig it, lol), but it's nothing compared to what Exhilarama was back in the day. It's so funny to run into locals here at TRMK of all places. I live in Somerdale, where are you guys located?

BTW, on a side note, I agree that the Lazer Tag at that place was the bomb, haha.
Also Fuma, do you have a Live account in addition to PSN? That would be so badass for the 3 of us to start a KotH room and pretend like it's the old days, hehe.

lmao thats too funny. Sounds like my fri night, in my teens week in and week out. Like i said i spent and unhealthy amount of time there when i was young. Im actually still in the area myself. Around blackwood. I dont have a 360 running at the moment though...mine got the ban hammer a while back. I still have it to play offline here and there some sp games and DOA4.

As far as arcades you are right...hell i dont even know where an actual one is. Philly would prob be the best bet.

Blackwood is right around the corner. I grew up in Glen Oaks behind the Gloucester Township park. Both my wife and I graduated from Triton. So I've pretty much been around this area my whole life. How old are you? We may have even hung out at the same events as teenagers.

And no, I can't really think of any arcades around this area either. There used to be a few years ago, but they're mostly all gone now. The only other 2 I can think of that were around when I was younger are the one in the Deptford Mall and Hyndman's Arcade in the Berlin Mart. I actually grew up and went all through grade school with the guy that owns it now. His father used to run it and now he does. Neither one has changed much other than the games that they have.

Seems like most arcades are just full of Guitar Hero, Racing Wheel, and Light Gun kinda games. Oh, and theres also Dave and Buster's in Philly, but thats far from what I would call an old school arcade. Same goes for all of the arcades down at any one of the various boardwalks at the shore area.

Blackwood is right around the corner. I grew up in Glen Oaks behind the Gloucester Township park. Both my wife and I graduated from Triton. So I've pretty much been around this area my whole life. How old are you? We may have even hung out at the same events as teenagers.

I am 32. I went to Paul VI. I grew up in berlin for the most part. Didnt really know to many ppl from Trition ...My friends wife may have gone there... But i would have to ask ...seems like a hundred years ago now lol.

I am 32. I went to Paul VI. I grew up in berlin for the most part. Didnt really know to many ppl from Trition ...My friends wife may have gone there... But i would have to ask ...seems like a hundred years ago now lol.

Wow bro, and the coincidences keep piling up, lol. I went to PVI as well during my freshman and half of my sophomore year. I then went on to Military school for a bit and finally graduated from Triton. What year did you graduate? We're so close in age that I bet we may have been in the same class or even had know each other. Were you there for all 4 years? If so, I'm surprised that you didn't notice what I wrote about the MK1 machine in the cafeteria of my school since that was at PVI. I'm so curious now, lol. If you're comfortable about it, you should PM me your name.

Yep i was there all 4 years graduated in 97. I do remember the Arcade machines in the caf. The even upgraded to MK 2 down the line. I remember the had NBA Jam and a SF game also. At one point the even got a SNK machine too. Thats pretty much all i would do during my free periods.

Ahh, I was a year ahead of you, but we would have still been there at the same time. When you were a freshman, I was a sophomore. I didn't know very many people from your class, but I did know some of them. I actually made friends with a few of the freshman that spent their free periods playing the games. So it's highly likely that you and I may have even played some games. Although, it's more likely that we didn't share the same free periods, otherwise you would definitely remember me since I generally played by myself since everyone avoided MK machine when I was on it. The only people that ever played me was a group of 3 or 4 juniors that tried their hand at beating me pretty regularly. They always used to get so pissed off cause they could never win, but it never stopped them from occasionally trying, lol. I'll PM you my real name and if you have a yearbook from your freshman year I should be in there.

After doing a bit of research about this particular tournament, I am somewhat disappointed about it now. It seems as though the version of MK9 that they're playing is going to be the PS3 version. I haven't been able to find out any information of how they plan to handle the control situation. Meaning, are they having people bring their own PS3 controller (or fight stick/joystick setup), providing a PS3 controller, or will there be a traditional arcade setup with a joystick layout?
It's hard to say since I've seen all 3 options at various tourneys. I would really like to enter this tourney, but only if they have an arcade-like setup with a joystick since that's what I'm used to playing on at home. I also opted to buy the Xbox version instead of the PS3 version, so I would be lost trying to use a PS3 controller. I guess I'll have to drop them a line and see what the deal is.

Well, after checking out a bunch of pics and videos of the past ECT tourneys on their site, it would appear that they don't provide anything other than the system and tv. Most people look like they had their own joystick setups with them. I really wish that PDP had made the MK stick universal to both systems. I love using it and it's a pretty high quality stick, but that's such a design flaw IMO.
Oh well, perhaps I'll make another joystick setup of my own design that I can use with both systems. I had been wanting to do that anyway prior to PDP announcing the MK stick, and then I scrapped the idea. I was gonna order some higher quality parts for my PDP stick anyway, so I guess that I'll just order 2 sets now, hehe.
Still torn on whether I should enter this tourney anyway. What do you guys think?