MK9 Tier List From Zoklet

REPTILE 0009

So I found this MK9 tier list from Zoklet.net, and I was wondering if you guys agree with this list. I don't think anyone has discussed this one on TRMK. I know that tiers can take a long time to develop, but as of right now, this and the strategy guide list, are the only tier lists we have right now. Both of these seem to vary greatly. And I'm not sure if I can trust the strategy guide one.
http://208.98.10.130/bbs/showthread.php?p=2645688
TOP TIER:
Kabal
Kung Lao
Jade
Reptile
Kitana

HIGH-MID TIER:
Raiden
Kano
Mileena
Sub-Zero
Nightwolf
Sindel

MID TIER:
Shang Tsung
Sektor
Ermac
Johnny Cage
Scorpion
Smoke
Cyrax

LOW-MID TIER:
Stryker
Liu Kang
Sonya
Noob
Jax
Baraka

LOW TIER:
Kratos
Quan Chi
Sheeva
Cyber-Sub Zero

I'm not a firm believer in the whole "tier list" thing. I do have some issues. I feel Noob and Ermac should be higher than Sub-Zero, and Cyrax would be much higher on this list for me.

From the videos I've seen Cyrax is definitely high tier, he's one of the strongest characters in the game.

I also don't see how Quan Chi is all the way at the bottom.

I didn't know Jade was considered so strong.

Anyway the game just came out, these tier lists will change drastically.

From the videos I've seen Cyrax is definitely high tier, he's one of the strongest characters in the game.

I also don't see how Quan Chi is all the way at the bottom.

I didn't know Jade was considered so strong.

Anyway the game just came out, these tier lists will change drastically.

Jade is a fast powerhouse. Makes her extremely deadly and I tried to use Quan and my god is he terrible lol

yeah jade is pretty good... i was watching a king of the hill match, and this guy using jade destroyed the other one. she has range, and can hit the opponent whether they are blocking low or high.

liu kang should definitely be a lot higher... he is my main, and i win about 9/10 games with him, if not more. he has combos for whether they are blocking high or low as well, he is extremely fast, and can chain some nice combos.

Really tired of seeing Cyb Zero as low tier in each tier list I read. If Reo has taught us anything, it's that very few fighters are prepared to deal with Cyb Zero's dive kick. Even if they are handled by tournament players. Personally, he belongs in at least High-Mid Tier.

If you think I'm being extreme, Tom Brady directly quoted that Cyb Zero belongs in S Tier. And that man has played MK9 far longer than anyone who wrote any of these poor tier lists.

I'm not a Cyb Zero fanboy or anything; I main Cyrax. It's just that these tier lists have given poor CZ the worst rep, so no one is willing to try him. And for what reason? Because the makers of a strategy guide needed to include a tier list upon release, so they threw all the fighters in random categories?

Last edited:
I think people often misunderstand tier lists. It's not meant to say, "This is the best character in the game, this is the worst". Tier lists give a general idea of overall matchup rating, who has the most advantages. No one can argue that certain characters have an advantage and others have disadvantages. Tier lists just give a general, overall representation of that. Obviously the players have a bigger impact on the match than tiers do, but advantages and disadvantages still exist.

As for this tier list, I think it's pretty accurate. Sub-Zero should definitely be higher in my opinion, as should Liu Kang. I think Sub is definite top tier, and Liu Kang is solid mid. I also disagree with CSZ being the worst. He's definitely not great, but mid tier at least. Maybe bump Cyrax up a little as well. He has a few ridiculous tricks that make him very strong.

Agreed. Tom Bradys list is way better and supported.

Really tired of seeing Cyb Zero as low tier in each tier list I read. If Reo has taught us anything, it's that very few fighters are prepared to deal with Cyb Zero's dive kick. Even if they are handled by tournament players. Personally, he belongs in at least High-Mid Tier.

If you think I'm being extreme, Tom Brady directly quoted that Cyb Zero belongs in S Tier. And that man has played MK9 far longer than anyone who wrote any of these poor tier list.

This.

I don't honestly know who it is that posted this tier list but it seems remarkably similar to the official tier list released with the MK Strategy Guide which I thought was rather sub-par as well. Brady's seems far and away the better list.

Jade is a fast powerhouse. Makes her extremely deadly and I tried to use Quan and my god is he terrible lol

Jade is pretty awesome.. have you seen Zephnas video? its pretty insane what she could do
I was using Quan Chi* the other day and i thought he was pretty awesome, but we both have different
play styles i bet =P

On topic though:
i personally think every kharacter has potential in the right hands
tier lists kinda dumb to me

Last edited:
So I found this MK9 tier list from Zoklet.net, and I was wondering if you guys agree with this list. I don't think anyone has discussed this one on TRMK. I know that tiers can take a long time to develop, but as of right now, this and the strategy guide list, are the only tier lists we have right now. Both of these seem to vary greatly. And I'm not sure if I can trust the strategy guide one.
http://208.98.10.130/bbs/showthread.php?p=2645688
TOP TIER:
Kabal
Kung Lao
Jade
Reptile
Kitana

HIGH-MID TIER:
Raiden
Kano
Mileena
Sub-Zero
Nightwolf
Sindel

MID TIER:
Shang Tsung
Sektor
Ermac
Johnny Cage
Scorpion
Smoke
Cyrax

LOW-MID TIER:
Stryker
Liu Kang
Sonya
Noob
Jax
Baraka

LOW TIER:
Kratos
Quan Chi
Sheeva
Cyber-Sub Zero

i aint seein it. i mean really, who has taken the time to sit down with eacher character and master them. and even then, its just one opinion.

i dont like tier lists. i think this game does a good job of serving up countermeasureables for whatever is being thrown at you. and there is a character for every one of them.

Jade is pretty awesome.. have you seen Zephnas video? its pretty insane what she could do
I was using him the other day and i thought he was pretty awesome, but we both have different
play styles i bet =P

I love how Jade slowly went from female to male in your post. :laugh:

I agree, though, Jade has a lot of tricks up her sleeve. She can poke from mid range with her pole, she can poke from mid-long range with her shadow kick, and to top it all off she has one of the best long-range projectile games. Her Razorrang hits high, mid, and low. Her EX Razorrang hits double. And she has projectile immunity.

Always interesting to see another tier list.

Although, I think people often misinterpret what tier lists mean. Usually, the best lists are compiled of match up data at the highest level of play possible. If I am not mistaken, tier lists focus more on 'How many times character A beats characters B, C, D, E', and then the characters with the best match ups are deemed as being 'top tier'. A majority of us have been playing the game for what, two weeks? Saying that people are already playing each character at the highest level possible seems to be reaching.

I remember when Dead or Alive 4 first came out. I mained Hitomi, my favorite video game girl ever. At first she was posted as top tier. Then she went to God tier a few weeks later, then the official company listed her as bottom tier. Then she was elevated by the high level players to low-mid tier, and she ended up finishing high-tier (Anyone who plays Dead or Alive with an opinion worth a grain of salt knows this is true).

You can already see something similar with Sub Zero. Tom Brady has him listed as the character to be, while the Prima Strategy guide and several others have him as low tier. Now we're seeing him listed as high tier on this list.

I guess my point is that it's still too early to be making these kind of assumptions. Tier lists take a long time to compile, not just a few weeks. Just my two cents.

Still, it makes me :) to see my favorite character getting some tier list love, even if it is early.

EDIT: Jade as top tier? I'd love to hear that explanation.

If you think I'm being extreme, Tom Brady directly quoted that Cyb Zero belongs in S Tier. And that man has played MK9 far longer than anyone who wrote any of these poor tier lists.

I'm not a Cyb Zero fanboy or anything; I main Cyrax. It's just that these tier lists have given poor CZ the worst rep, so no one is willing to try him. And for what reason? Because the makers of a strategy guide needed to include a tier list upon release, so they threw all the fighters in random categories?

I agree. The moment I first played Cyber Sub-Zero, I knew he was high tier or even top tier. He's a faster Sub-Zero, he has a ridiculous amount of special moves, I don't even know when to use all of them, and there's the dive kick Tom Brady mentioned.

I also think that Cyrax and Ermac should be higher. Probably Sub-Zero and Raiden too.