This is where i think they went wrong

mk4life

Feel free to give your opinions on my thoughts or even state where YOU think they went wrong in story mode. Here is where they went wrong IMO:
1) creation of cyber sub zero
2) the way sindel killed off all of those characters.

I could see how they thought cyber sub zero would be "different" and could work, however i think it did not pay off in the end. The connection the fans had to the real sub zero was too strong. Yes it's still sub zero, but is there really a connection there with cyber sub zero? I think it would have been better to have smoke turned into a cyborg even in the altered timeline. I mean this game is all about nostalgia right ;). However maybe this time something goes wrong in the process of being transformed that maybe he gets killed by accident. something along those lines. This way, we have cyborg smoke as an alternate, and we are left wondering what COULD have been had smoke been transformed into a cyborg.

This brings me to my second point. Eventually, characters are going to die. thats just the way it is. if they really wanted to kill off some people, couldn't they have just done it in a more diverse way? instead of sindel just killing off half the roster, have someone get killed here and there throughout the story mode. to be honest i think this would have made the story even more depressing, and more importantly, more realistic. for example maybe have reptile kill stryker in a stealthy way. stryker never saw it coming, BOOM earthrealm takes a hit. have smoke die the way i said earlier in this post, AFTER he gets some story time and you develop a connection with him. there goes another for earthrealm, this time it was by accident. later on in the story kitana tries to convince her mother to return to the good side but to no avail. as a result sindel kills her daughter, kitana. this actually happened in the story and i am fine with it. shao kahn breaking kung lao's neck is fine also. there you go. you see, each one of the good guys is slowly but surely being killed off. as time passes raiden grows even more anxious and desperate. so on and so forth. dont get me wrong, the story was great, just change the WAY in which these people die. and maybe keep a few of them alive (jax, jade, sub zero, kabal).

This way, earthrealm actually has a fighting chance against shinnok, quan chi, and the netherrealm in the next game without having to bring half of these characters back to life. and ultimately you can keep the ones that are dead.....dead. its either that, or bring in a whole new load of characters for the next game, but we all know that wont end well.

The Story Mode for me was just gorgeous. The only real complaint I have is that you can't pause!!!! That's just absurd!

But anyway, I think Cyber Sub-Zero was a win. Classic Sub-Zero is my favorite character (because I hated when they came up with an unmasked Sub-Zero in MK3, and so grew my hate for the younger brother), and Sektor was my favorite character in MK3 (because there were no human ninjas besides unmasked Sub-Zero), so instead of unmasking Sub-Zero, they turned him into a cool looking cyber ninja that looks like a predator and looks better than Sektor and Cyrax in MK9. Besides, it was great to see how things changed when Raiden tried to get things "right".

Sindel killing almost everybody was insane and totally unexpected, and although I didn't want some of my favorite characters to die, the story worked for me. She was resurrected by Quan Chi, so she probably got stronger like Scorpion and Noob Saibot, and Shao Kahn gave her Shang's power. Then she fought against a bunch of exausted earthrealm warriors. I makes sense.

The thing is: how will they resurrect all those people to fight agains Quan Chi and Shinnok in the next game? Will Raiden once again ask the Elder Gods to do the job?

Cyber Sub Zero is amazing... Haters gonna Hate

As for the killed off characters... its Mortal Kombat.. I can easily see all of them coming back in the next game however they wont be fighting against Quan Chi

Earth Realm Survivors and Outworld Survivors vs. Netherealm and the souls of the defeated Earth realm warriors

But only Johnny Cage, Sonya and Raiden survived from Earth Realm.

Wow... That's kind of funny: CAGE survived. Yeah, he got some love in this game.

Quan chi will use the killed off ones i think. This is just me thinking out loud, but this gen of gaming allows for alot of stuff like characters, stages, DLC, multiple fatalities, etc. If they didn't kill off a few of the characters (in this cause 90% of the good guys/girls) it would kinda feel like a add on to 9 cause you have all these fighters and if you just leave them and go to a whole new batch of characters it kinda makes you wonder. I mean they did this pick and choose in the old mortal kombats but they never really had a story mode just liu kang kicks every ones butt. In a nut shell I think they did this to open up for later characters and maybe new ones to appear and have a purpose, not just look a new guy. I think they will do the unchained route (psp deception) where they had the deadly alliance killed off characters playable later on cause they were brought back and used as slaves by onaga (quan chi in this one).

I'm just annoyed with how crappy of a character regular Sub-Zero is. He is a top 2 character in the MK universe and he sucks and then gets upgraded to Cyber Sub-Zero.

Cyber Sub-Zero as a character blows regular Subby away.

About Cyber SZ im ok. It was a nice twist in the timeline and he looks awesome (his moves sucks, but that is other discussion).
About the killing machine sindel, i agree. Everything was too fast. Im ok with them being killed, but maybe on different places.

Feel free to give your opinions on my thoughts or even state where YOU think they went wrong in story mode. Here is where they went wrong IMO:

I could see how they thought cyber sub zero would be "different" and could work, however i think it did not pay off in the end. The connection the fans had to the real sub zero was too strong. Yes it's still sub zero, but is there really a connection there with cyber sub zero? I think it would have been better to have smoke turned into a cyborg even in the altered timeline. I mean this game is all about nostalgia right ;). However maybe this time something goes wrong in the process of being transformed that maybe he gets killed by accident. something along those lines. This way, we have cyborg smoke as an alternate, and we are left wondering what COULD have been had smoke been transformed into a cyborg. This brings me to my second point. Eventually, characters are going to die. thats just the way it is. if they really wanted to kill off some people, couldn't they have just done it in a more diverse way? instead of sindel just killing off half the roster, have someone get killed here and there throughout the story mode. to be honest i think this would have made the story even more depressing, and more importantly, more realistic. for example maybe have reptile kill stryker in a stealthy way. stryker never saw it coming, BOOM earthrealm takes a hit. have smoke die the way i said earlier in this post, AFTER he gets some story time and you develop a connection with him. there goes another for earthrealm, this time it was by accident. later on in the story kitana tries to convince her mother to return to the good side but to no avail. as a result sindel kills her daughter, kitana. this actually happened in the story and i am fine with it. shao kahn breaking kung lao's neck is fine also. there you go. you see, each one of the good guys is slowly but surely being killed off. as time passes raiden grows even more anxious and desperate. so on and so forth. dont get me wrong, the story was great, just change the WAY in which these people die. and maybe keep a few of them alive (jax, jade, sub zero, kabal).

This way, earthrealm actually has a fighting chance against shinnok, quan chi, and the netherrealm in the next game without having to bring half of these characters back to life. and ultimately you can keep the ones that are dead.....dead. its either that, or bring in a whole new load of characters for the next game, but we all know that wont end well.

Oh you want to know what would have happened if Smoke was turned into a cyborg...ok play MK3, UMK3, and MKT...that's prolly the most retarded thing I've read so far.

On the other hand, Cyber Sub-Zero was perfect. It was nice to see a crazy spin on one of the most beloved characters. It's obvious that Boon loves his Scorpion more than Sub-Zero, so it's nice that they showed some love to SZ in any way or fashion.

The Story mode was perfect I wouldn't chance anything, knowing that it's an alternate timeline and not the real story, but a great story none-the-less

IMO, I think it is silly that people are so displeased with Sindel being so strong in the game. I don't really think it is far fetched for her to have so much power.

IMO, I think it is silly that people are so displeased with Sindel being so strong in the game. I don't really think it is far fetched for her to have so much power.

Her power level wasn't a problem for me. What bothered me was the fact that everyone lined up to be slaughtered one-by-one was what ruffled my feathers. If they all swarmed her and intelligently used their numbers to their, rather serious, advantage they might have put up a better fight. They fought almost exclusively one-on-one which is just idiotic. They weren't challenged to Mortal Kombat and therefor the whole one-on-one thing falls under the "brain dead" classification of decision.

it was a what-if story i think.most people love the other/real story anyway altleast my 2 favourite characters are ok though

R.I.P Smoke

Cyber Sub is easily my favorite part of the story.

I think Cage is the worst part of the story. Yeah, he's supposed to be an annoying *******, but he wasn't an annoying *******, he was annoyingly fake and doesn't fit the theme. It pretty much ruined the first part of the story for me.

The fact that you can skip or pause the cut-scenes is ridiculous, too. It's even worse when you accidentally select Story Mode. :(

I don't like how they introduced reptile. He was such an elusive mysterious character in MK1. in this game he was nothing more than a henchman.

Loved Cyber Sub. I don't see why people are even bitter, or complaining about an addition, to the cast. The original flesh version is still intact. Good lord, stop the whining.

And Sindel taking out a huge chunk of the good guys was a pleasant surprise. She was being powered by all of Shang's souls, so it wasn't farfetched.

The plot had all the good stuff Blockbuster films are made of. More of that, less retreading the same storyline from 90's. That was the whole point.

I don't like how they introduced reptile. He was such an elusive mysterious character in MK1. in this game he was nothing more than a henchman.

Yeah, they've could've done with a bit more mystique about him. It seems like they've had a really hard time portraying Reptile as anything more than a punching bag. I was hoping to see him return as a mysterious assassin who stepped out of the shadows for long enough to preform his mission and then ghosts away. A Story Mode chapter as Reptile where he probes the strengths and weaknesses of Raiden's Earthrealm warriors for Shang Tsung would've been more interesting. I'm hoping they delve a bit deeper into him. DLC Story chapters would kind of blow my mind right out the back of my skull...

That's where I think they did right. Mortal Kombat needed a major shake up in terms of its story and boy did they deliver. Seriously, did you really want to play the same ****ing game from the 90's? I have those games already, I don't need to buy them again. And now there's so much excitement because we don't know what the **** is going to happen next. Will Earthrealm and Outworld join forces against the Netherrealm? Will any other realm make an appearance? Will any of the dead heroes or villains be resurrected and if so, will they ever be the same? Will prior characters show up or we will get entirely new ones?

Thank god for this new story. We can finally retcon all of that dumb shit from before. Hsu Hsao, Shujinko, Onaga, etc. We can just toss all of that in the garbage or who knows, put some better thought into it and make them awesome for once. Personally I can't wait to see what happens.

As for Sub-Zero. He's always been my favorite character, he always will be. If he's not in the next game, it's no big deal, I have him in this game. He's awesome in this game, in both forms.

And Sindel taking out a huge chunk of the good guys was a pleasant surprise. She was being powered by all of Shang's souls, so it wasn't farfetched.

My thoughts exactly.

She had the means to be powerful enough to do what she did, regardless of whether they decided to attack as a group or one by one.

My thoughts exactly.

She had the means to be powerful enough to do what she did, regardless of whether they decided to attack as a group or one by one.

I have to agree, now that I've thought about it. Nightwolf had to have some serious badassery to kill her like that, plus all those souls Kahn gave her.

I have to agree, now that I've thought about it. Nightwolf had to have some serious badassery to kill her like that, plus all those souls Kahn gave her.

Could have some relation to the Sin-Eater ritual he performed to bind Onaga to the NetherRealm. Must've taken alotta juice to pull that off. We never saw him absorb the sins of his tribe in MK9, but he could've taken some other kind of spiritual steroids.

Plus, Nightwolf is kind of a badass.

I had a huge problem with the Sindel/Nightwolf fight. Sindel literally goes through the Earthrealm warriors like they were never even there, but when she gets to Nightwolf, she gets killed by him. Granted, he kills himself at the same time, but the fact that he was able to keep up for so long when the other warriors were slaughtered like cattle irks me. With all of that power, why not have him participate in the tournament from the beginning? Certainly seemed alot stronger than both Kung Lao and Liu Kang.