Jade Thread - "Good Boy!"

Re: "Good Boy!" ~ The Jade Thread

Good find Critical-Limit, that is really interesting that they gave all characters a universal 8 frames of invincibility on wake-up, and if you think about it, really makes the game more balanced when there are not certain characters who have amazing wake-up versus weak wake-up on other characters.

Apparently Jade is low-tier in this game. Doesn't seem so, she's got sweet range with the staff and some really nice combos.
It's WAY TOO SOON FOR A TIER LIST~ Give it months to a year before even thinking of relying on tier lists. Too bad jp didn't have months to play this before we got it like BB LOL. Then again Tager = top tier in America... ROFL

hey I found the TRUE number for the invincibility frames on wake up. it was 8, sorry i wasn't sure if it was 8 or 9(so I put 8-9). I'm positive it's 8 Frames at start up.

But this is the number for EVERY characters wake up attacks. So be weary of other characters when you knock them down.
Thanks I updated the OP with this~ If you come across anything else I'd very much appreciate it~ ^-^

Great thread. Helpful information.

However, I was disappointed. I thought this was going to be an appreciation thread for our moderator, Jade. Instead I learned some strategy.
LOL~ Well she does deserve her own appreciation thread as she's a wonderful mod and helps in anyway she can. ;p

Was up late last night watching the ehhhhhhhhh Sony PSN Conference lol. So still sorta waking up but I should have the videos for the new combos posted by the end of the day~

I also would like to mention Jade is hands down the hottest character in the game :3

I Totally Disagree On That One.Also Why Do We Need A Jade Thread We Should Either Make One Of Every Character Or Post In The Kombatant Info Place

This was made to help people learn Jade in MK9 that's why lol~ Any other reason would jus be a bonus. ^-^ Since this is the MK9 section it fits perfectly here IMO. Since players can contribute to the thread as we find out more stuff in the following months to come.

so then we should make a every character a thread then that would just flood the the forum so what would be so special about this thread?

This isn't some "special" thread it's jus solely for people who want to learn the ins and outs of Jade. Which giving this kinda info + videos to go along with it greatly helps. I agree every character should have their own thread such as this so people can come together and contribute for their favorite characters. Just having a combo list means nothing without tactics and various of other things. I dunno where you get at this thread being some holy grail thread LOL.

EDIT:: SPEAKING OF VIDEOS PEOPLE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST VIDEOS OF MATCHES INVOLVING JADE A GOOD JADE PLAYER AT THAT AS IT WILL HELP PEOPLE ANALYZE AND LEARN JADE FROM MATCHUP POINT OF VIEW~ HOWEVER PLEASE POST LINK AND NOT AN EMBED VIDEO TO KEEP THINGS A BIT MORE NEAT AND NOT CLOGGED HERE THANKS~

so then we should make a every character a thread then that would just flood the the forum so what would be so special about this thread?

It has nothing to do with being special, alot of fighting game forums have character specific threads in specific games. I'm surprised there is no such section on this website. No one is stopping you from starting a new thread for Scorpion or Reptile or whoever you play. It's simply easier to find stuff like this for the character you're trying to learn.

Last edited:
Jade is at this point the only female with true potential for top tier for me. I agree it's too soon but playing the characters, watching the combos, the possibilities, we can see the top tiers coming. At this point, I'd say Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Raiden, Johnny Cage and Jade are controling the competition.

Jade has a lot going for her, her projectiles are good and useful and her projectile defender is pretty good (her ex of that special is FANTASTIC) and her combos are middle range which is only a plus. Let's see. Jade looks pretty good.

Jade is at this point the only female with true potential for top tier for me. I agree it's too soon but playing the characters, watching the combos, the possibilities, we can see the top tiers coming. At this point, I'd say Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Cyrax, Raiden, Johnny Cage and Jade are controling the competition.

Jade has a lot going for her, her projectiles are good and useful and her projectile defender is pretty good (her ex of that special is FANTASTIC) and her combos are middle range which is only a plus. Let's see. Jade looks pretty good.

Don't get me wrong she is pretty versitile and has some nice mixup setups and opportunities however. One factor in top tier she doesn't quite meet which is damage output. Usually top tier has superior mixups and setups annnnnd high damage output. If you play BB for instance look at Litchi from CT to CS which she became top tier in. She still had her mixups but they improved and her damage output was raised. with let's say average hp being 10k she can do 4k damage combo even from midscreen which it drives opponent into corner. Then if you get the right hit in you can end up doing around 6-7k damage. Also her counter hit combos even from anti airs was OP. You could do a 4k-5k damage combo off of a random 5A anti air hit.

So atm though nothing is finalized yet I dont see Jade being top tier, however, I do see her being either mid or still low tier. Again it is still too soon to tell.

UPDATE:: Today I will be jotting down a list of blockstrings and dash cancelable/jump cancelable attacks for Jade. Knowing these kind of attacks will help your pressure game so that you can mix it up with a shadow kick or JC/DC to start another blockstring. The beauty of MK is that not only you'll gain meter from blockstrings but will also do chip damage to your opponent. So it's still a WIN WIN situation.

I should have the new info posted today if not then surely tomorrow. I'm going to try to get it done today though. I know once PSN gets back up i'll be busy testing and jus having fun playing with my friends and a few randoms online. Was gonna go for top 100 but the matchup server sure was looking mighty rigged on release date...LOL People getting 100 matches in ranked ez pz while I was stuck waiting 5 min or more for a single match (Gotta have your friends do ranked matches with ya). So oh well could always probly try to get in top 100 in the Player's division which seems to be better to do overall hehe~

Very amazing thread! I love jade and your corner combos are amazing, i can do the midscreen boomerang combo, ill work on the corner ones. keep up the good work ;)

Thanks for your feedback it keeps me motivated and happy to have helped people. I got about 2 people who are sorta new to fighters so will be personally mentoring them~ Also I do plan on putting up some midscreen ex boomerang combos. I think it be good to do those sparringly along with ex boomerang resets/mixups setups to try to help throw them off a bit. I was hoping to make a loop but doesn't seem doable atm. It would probly get prorated alot to though so oh well hehe~ ^-^

i recently picked up jade and she is just a god her mix up is amazing i haven't read all the posts in this thread so sorry if this is repeated but i really suggest using her sweep really often in the game to get the opponent to start low blocking then go for an staff slam and combo however you want. Her x-ray also goes through projectiles so if your playing a spammy player wait and attack it will definitely scare them away from using projectiles for a while. also i learned that her shadow flash will go through subby's ice clones. Also I had an idea could jade be a little x-ray dependent because since she has all those block strings which generate meter and do damage and she can easily do 40+ with her x-ray also on Tom Brady's tier list she was put in top tier so you might be wrong keep exploring =)

Last edited:
Er... no offense but idc who's tier list it is it's still too soon to actually be finalized aka be a solid guide on that. Besides it means nothing if you don't fully master the character lol... Yes I do know who he is by the way but facts still remain the same it's too soon to tell. So don't go all fanboy/fangirl over info a popular competitive player says as we are all not perfect plus too soon to be finalized lol. I said so far I don't feel like she's in/will be in the top tier at the moment not that nope she'll never be in the top tier. Specially considering stealth patches etc in the future ~ ^-^

Also it's a waste to use up meter by doing x-rays often like that. It's better to do an xray/ xray combo when your about to lose the match but you'll win the round if you do one or if it's to finish up a match. It's better to do 1 bar 40% than 3 bar 50-60% combo midmatch. Also want to at least keep 1 bar or slightly more so if you do get caught in a long/damaging combo (minus xray combos since they tend to be short but damaging) you'll build enough meter to breaker if need be. This will be crucial to certain ex combos like for instance Kitana's. Her meter is used at the beginning of the combo so you can jus wait for her to use say 2 bars and then breaker out of it. You lose 30% they lost around 30% of extra damage (typical no meter combo) and 2 bars.

Note: From what I'm seeing so far if your not at least doing 50% damage for a xray combo your better off doing a 1-2EX combo. Generally for her 1EX is jus fine unless your going for a EX.Boomerang setup then it be 2 so then you have some potential pressure on their wakeup after the combo.

Ya the Shadow Flash I'll add a note saying it goes through sub's ice clone since people may thing it only meant for only stuff like iceballs etc. I did add about throwing her sweeps in along with tag combos that have lows in them such as 3,4 which you can combo off the trip with a EX.Staff Overhead. You don't want to get too sweep happy especially on wakeups since they'll start using wakeup attacks to stuff it and could lead to a combo.

By the way if you have any other info/suggestions etc to contribute please feel free to do so. Thanks for mentioning the ice clone thing as I'm pretty sure people didn't assume that. Also once there's some high level play of Jade match videos I will be adding them in the OP as well for people to analyze etc.

I completely agree with all that. Although If you want a good "estimated guess"(to win tournaments NOW) on who you should use to win tournaments it'd be a pretty wise decision to base your choice of character off Tom Brady's list considering he's has the most experience with the game(For now). But I agree it's too early to tell. Tom Brady or anyone else who tries to make a tier list this early could be missing important situational factors or timings that may not be known until someone perfects said characters.

and yes, I agree Jade's EX moves are far more important than her X-RAY. I would only throw out an X-ray if it guaranteed a kill, or if it's the last round and I'm losing significantly.

Jade's EX moves are so good at mixing up and getting combos STARTED that it'd be stupid to save your meter for Xray.

One thing I noticed about Jade's sweep is that you seem to be able to run over/through the opponent after you use it by forward dashing, which places you squarely behind the person. It could be really nice for messing with people who like to wake-up attack a lot, I'm not sure if she moves fast enough to get through the person before they can wake-up however. I have put it on my to-do list for testing once PSN is back up.

One thing I noticed about Jade's sweep is that you seem to be able to run over/through the opponent after you use it by forward dashing, which places you squarely behind the person. It could be really nice for messing with people who like to wake-up attack a lot, I'm not sure if she moves fast enough to get through the person before they can wake-up however. I have put it on my to-do list for testing once PSN is back up.
Add me so we can test this out. Crossups are still viable in MK because it has NO AUTO CORRECTION. Thus if you input a move while being crossed up it wont register thus resulting in a kick/punch leaving you open for a punish~ ^-^

Sorry guys & gurls got pretty busy today but i'll See what I can do about adding more info on the blockstrings etc. tonight. I will possiblyh add a few things within a few hours and finish it up sometime tomorrow though. So stay tuned! ^-^

NOTE:: Thanks for the rep it is much appreciated. Just trying to help out fellow Jade players and players who find an interest on what Jade is capable of. ^-^

NOTE2:: I tend to usually stream at: http://justin.tv/tbtgang nearly daily so feel free to come in and chat with me and my friends~ ^-^

Last edited:
Thanks Zepha, the lack of auto-correction is good to know about, nothing more fun than watching a person anti-air the wrong way.

I don't think it's so much that, when that happens it's because you did the move too late and they just bypassed the move. That isn't a result of no auto-correction. A result of no autocorrection would be someone trying to do an anti air special but since it read the inputs in reverse because they got behind you you end up just doing a normal punch and get hit.

If what you said was the case chronus then I should be able to do jade's special kick backwards which isn't the case. See what i'm saying?

EDIT: Nevermind I think when you said anti-air the wrong way you mean inputs? or the move comes out the wrong way? This matters significantly in your post. cuz it could be taken either way.

Yeah, gotcha. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Edit response to Critical-Limit: I am referring to where the person inputs the anti-air at the same time you are passing over them or through them, and goes the wrong way because the move comes out, but you are already far enough on the opposite side of them that it misses, putting you behind them as the anti-air comes out.

Last edited: