Easy character to learn as a newb

Who would you suggest to use, as someone who is completely new to fighting games really and has only ever button mashed in the past?

I seem to do alrightish with noob, but that's just spamming his teleport grab over and over again. I would like to find a character that I can play well so that I may stand a chance online.

(I used the search bar but couldn't find a thread that helped, if someone would point me in the right direction that would also be great)

Scorpion, Kung Lao, Kitana, or Smoke. Those are my suggestions. Scorpion and Kitana are particularly very "pick up and play" type fighters.

Scorpion, Kung Lao, Kitana, or Smoke. Those are my suggestions. Scorpion and Kitana are particularly very "pick up and play" type fighters.

When playing through the campaign I remember only really being able to use smoke if I spammed his teleport (I know A.I isn't the same as fighting a human but it still gives you a peek at how well you can use a character.
I do remember Kung Loa being fairly decent though and seeing as you and BigM3atL3gacy have suggested two of the same people I will have to give them a shot.

CSZ or Sub-Zero

Again I remember only beeing good with Sub-Zero if spamming his ice ball and sword, I probably just need more practice though.

I agree with Jade, try Sonya. Her combos are easy to learn and you don't have to rely on spamming.

if you are a noob, i suggest you'll play with Sub Zero as a start. when i first played ultimate mk 3, the first character i picked was sub zero.
basically, if you dont know how to pull off big combos, just freeze the other guy and do the X,X,Y combo (if you have xbox 360).
or you can try scorpion and just do the spear move and then Y,Y,Y or X,X,X

play the tower challenge and story mode, it makes you pick up all the characters with some challenges you have to be well enough to be able to beat the stage. It's good they made the tower since it makes me play other characters I wouldn't otherwise have tried out (at least not right off the start). You'll personally get comfortable with some players from there. There's different types of characters, stuns, teleports, etc. Each have their own style that some people may or may not prefer.

Play as Noob if you're a noob (I know that's not in the least bit funny). He's got everything you could ever need. A mate of mine started with him, he's new to Mortal Kombat and was able to fight well with him right off the bat.

Kung Lao's a character you can spam and win with, Sonya has easy ready combo's, and I found some practice with Kitana will help you perform some really good combos for a good amount of damage.

Scorp, Sub, Sonya, Kung Lao, Noob and Ermac are, IMHO, the easiest for pick-up and play. Easy and decent combos right out the gate. Run through the ladder with each of them and you'll get a good feel for their style and specific gameplay.

I thought Stryker was pretty easy to learn.

Stryker's bnb combos aren't beginner level, and learning a couple combos and setups isn't all it takes to learn a character. You have to learn the matchups for almost 30 other characters, and Stryker has a lot more bad matchups than some of the characters other people are mentioning.

For me, Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage, Kitana, Jade, Kung Lao, Kano, Nightwolf, Scorpion, Sindel, and Smoke were all pretty good pick up and play characters. Try them out.