Are the boss fights a major negative point in MK9?

Are the boss fights a major negative point in MK9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lenin Ceballos

I don't understand all the fallout that the boss fights has caused, it has gotten mentioned (negatively) in every review, even going as to cause the reviewer to award a lower score because of how much he disliked them, and people are constantly complaining here in the forums, i personally find Goro and Kintaro MUCH easier to fight that the past MK games, Shang Tsung is just another fight, as easy or hard as any other character, and Shao Kahn, well, he IS the harder of the bosses, but can be easily defeated with projectile spamming, or you don't find that fun, then dodging his spear and hammer throw and uppercutting the hell out of him.

To me, especially in the case of the reviews online, what happened is the classic case of the reviewer having little time to post his review, getting destroyed by Goro or Shao Kahn many times in a row, and declaring them to be unfair, unbalanced and simply awful, just like the Seth fight in SF4, i bet those same reviewers if they kept playing the game 3 or 4 more days would be able to defeat any of the bosses in their sleep, just like I can now, or most of the people on this forum.

I made this post a poll, because I want to hear your opinions, i personally think the boss fights are NOT a negative point in the game, and they should not have had the major impact they caused on the reviews of the game.

I would not call the bosses a major negative point, their AI is fairly predictable. Annoying certainly, but I would not lower a review score over them by any means. Fighting game bosses always have a cheap aspect to them, but these bosses are certainly not unbeatable.

I see them more as minigames. I just try to jump over them after a knockdown, hope they attack with something and do the best combo i have and repeat. Goro is probably the easiest with this tactic, and Kintaro the hardest, because he has this stupid air grab, but they are all doable. Not really fun fights, but no gamebreakers either.

Goro and Kintaro are easier than there respective predecessor games. I find kahn lazy and lame. Predictable yes but the spamming is dumb. I would have just left him like a normal person but reduced the player hit value on him. meaning it takes 200 hits to whoop him. Not his spam crap. Certainly no points would be loss. he was a pain in the ass in mk3 as well.

The reviewers tend to forget this is a multiplayer game. Remember how in the SF4 review they mentioned how the story is basically nonexistent and forgettable? Well, MK gives them a kickass story that takes hours to complete and they just slander it.

The reviews of MK focus too much on the single player since it's basically the only fighter lately that EVEN HAS a single player storyline. Instead of giving it a higher score because of it they treat it as a disadvantage, and don't even look at the multiplayer component.

I know it's just a personal opinion but me and my friends have been having a blast playing this the way it was supposed to be played - with people. Who the eff cares if Shao Khan, the final boss of a 7hour(!!!) campaign takes more than 5 minutes to beat? It's a multiplayer game.

We've discussed this a lot already but it still pisses me off how clueless some reviewers are.

I would not call the bosses a major negative point, their AI is fairly predictable. Annoying certainly, but I would not lower a review score over them by any means. Fighting game bosses always have a cheap aspect to them, but these bosses are certainly not unbeatable.

That just what i think, but unfortunately it did happen, most gaming sites made a big point in their dislike of the boss fights, and very likely gave the game a lower score because of that dislike.

^^^ This but I would actually lower a review score based on poor AI. If you play off line alone, you'll probably spend quite a bit of time in the ring with these bosses and it will definitely impact your experience in a bad way. Just because it has been done over and over doesn't mean its not time to change it. -1 for bugs poor online and crap AI = 9 imo.

i dont remember kahn needing cheats and clone bodyguards to be tough in MK2 and 3...

MK9 bosses are frustratingly fail versions of their former imposing selves.

I think the problem here is the AI suffers from the same downfalls it had in the 2d era. Not sure if it was done deliberate or accidental but Khan still does the same annoying things in a slightly updated way. People are forced to resort to cheese tactics to overcome them. I spent plenty of time crouched in the corner blocking waiting for a shoulder charge to uppercut. It's 20 years later, I want a smarter boss.

Good point, AI should be smarter in this day and age, if a person plays a lot of single player I guess I could see it being bumped down a .5 or 1 for that. Overall though, I wouldn't chop much off the score just because the bosses are hard, but simply because the AI could be better.

Shang-Tsung and Goro are fine. But Shao Kahn literally ruined the game for me. Not like "oh haha, wow, that's hard, took a lot of time but enjoyable" but rather I returned the game after 3 days. I was having an absolute blast with Challenge, Story, and Arcade, until the Shao Kahn fights came along.

Worst "balance" in a boss fight that I can recall in any fighting game in recent memory, and I adore fighting games.

As much fun as I was having with this, it's back to MvC3 where the game is infinitely more enjoyable because it isn't ****ing impossible to play.

They are a negative, but they are NOT a major negative. They should stay the way they are, as much as I hate them.

They're not fun. That makes them a negative in my book. I'm not gonna say what could make them more fun, because I'm not an expert on game design. But being forced (yes FORCED) to use the same move/combo repeatedly until dead...well...that's not fun, I know that much.

Whether or not they are beatable or too hard or any other whining of that manner is moot. They're boring. And being boring is the worst crime a game can commit.

I think the boss fights are exactly what they should be and have been since the old mk days. You have to learn what moves and combos are succesful in fighting the bosses, while overcoming the bosse's tactics. I think Goro and Kintaro could have been a little bit more distinguished in their fighting but, thats not a major gripe. I wish Kintaro was much more monstrous. I love how they did Kahn though.

Kahn is not supposed to be balanced. He is a character of brute strength and that is what we get. What you guys also have to consider is if the AI was as smart as a human player and used his incredible damage potential and crazy projectiles he really would be impossible to beat. Take your lumps and love it!