beating shao khan

psn:camiluz

is anyone here can beat shao khan without using cheap tactics? i know that you already know the cheap way to beat shao khan where all he was doing is taunt. is it possible to beat him using skills? if yes who's character did you choose?

I just do a small combo that doesn't push him back far but knocks him off his feet then get right on top of him. Do a cross over jump right as he gets up and he'll stand and attack the wrong way... combo again and its an easy win rinse and repeat

I think you are confusing skill and cheapness. Beating an AI does not take skill. It's a pattern.

For instance: If you jump kick at Shao Kahn more than twice in a row he'll start Rhino Charging [the anti-air one] which can be stopped by pressing jump punch right as he launches diagonally to your side.

If you use simple combos [2-4 hits] he'll use super armour and try to swing his hammer at you [or uppercut with it] which is easily avoided by jumping back which leads to him taunting.

If you throw projectiles back to back, he'll start using those projectile green energy spears which some characters aren't fast enough to dodge after throwing a projectile. [thus either block or crouch.]

If he Rhino charges, jump over him. [or block]

When he goes for X-ray jump at him and kick him.

If you sweep more than once or twice he starts SA'ing and uses his hammer to sweep you back.

etc.

It's pretty impossible to just beat him with pure skill since he's terribly imbalanced. That damn hammer throw stuns and damages you even if you block it and he takes damage a lot better than both of the Shokan bosses.

I have no problem beat him on expert level without using patterns or "cheap" tactics.

All Ai's use patterns depending on what you do. So no, I'm pretty sure you didn't beat him without causing some sort of pattern even if you used all different sort of attacks.

All Ai's use patterns depending on what you do. So no, I'm pretty sure you didn't beat him without causing some sort of pattern even if you used all different sort of attacks.

By your logic, it's impossible to win, or play any game vs any AI without using a "pattern", which would make this whole thread redundant. That being said, Shao Khan is easily beatable with the same wide variety of tactics with which you use to beat live players.

By your logic, it's impossible to win, or play any game vs any AI without using a "pattern", which would make this whole thread redundant. That being said, Shao Khan is easily beatable with the same wide variety of tactics with which you use to beat live players.

By your logic game design isn't set to pattern. Which is not possible.

Do you attack him from the ground? He is programmed to Rhino Charge. [if not taunting or caught in the middle of an attack animation]

Do you attack from the air? He is set to Anti-air with Rhino Charge.

The only way not to create a pattern is hitting him once and letting the time run out. Except, even then it creates a pattern.

Same as UMK3, same as most games. Fighting games are programmed with patterns. That's a fact, don't like it? Too bad.

Everything in a fighting game is programmed with patterns. Whether it be the bosses, standard AI, or storymode.

That's why there is such a thing as difficulty, and more. AI=/=humans. Humans also create a pattern when they play [which is known as a playstyle] but it isn't as simple as an AI's.

You can say you didn't fight off a pattern all you want, doesn't matter as soon as you move back/forwards, duck, or even go after him by jumping you set a pattern that can change in an instant.

By your logic game design isn't set to pattern. Which is not possible.

Do you attack him from the ground? He is programmed to Rhino Charge. [if not taunting or caught in the middle of an attack animation]

Do you attack from the air? He is set to Anti-air with Rhino Charge.

The only way not to create a pattern is hitting him once and letting the time run out. Except, even then it creates a pattern.

Same as UMK3, same as most games. Fighting games are programmed with patterns. That's a fact, don't like it? Too bad.

Everything in a fighting game is programmed with patterns. Whether it be the bosses, standard AI, or storymode.

That's why there is such a thing as difficulty, and more. AI=/=humans. Humans also create a pattern when they play [which is known as a playstyle] but it isn't as simple as an AI's.

You can say you didn't fight off a pattern all you want, doesn't matter as soon as you move back/forwards, duck, or even go after him by jumping you set a pattern that can change in an instant.

You can talk your garbage all you want, I use a wide variety of moves to hit, and beat, Shao Kahn, from the ground, from the air, from the front, and from behind.

It's pretty impossible to just beat him with pure skill since he's terribly imbalanced. That damn hammer throw stuns and damages you even if you block it and he takes damage a lot better than both of the Shokan bosses.

Don't you just love that tho? I mean kome on! This is a back to the roots game!

I usually catch him in a 14-16 hit combo with Liu Kang. Dodge his attack, read his patterns, punish him, and repeat.

I have the easiest time beating him with Liu Kang.

You can talk your garbage all you want, I use a wide variety of moves to hit, and beat, Shao Kahn, from the ground, from the air, from the front, and from behind.

Yet, you still ignore logic.

You using multiple different attacks [which I do too] doesn't NOT create a pattern. No matter what you do it creates one.

AI use patterns to block crap in the game. If they didn't they would beat everyone because an AI's reflexes are quicker than our own.

That's why in MK3, if you threw a sweep first the AI could beat you at it, or if you threw an Uppercut, how they somehow would duck down and do it back to you.

Games are coding, coding is set as patterns.

You can jump, walk, dash, block, throw projectiles [which I do too] you'll still create a new pattern that already exist or mix and mash them.

I'm not saying you are taking advantage of said pattern but if you honestly think you aren't creating one... You need to read up on game design.

Yet, you still ignore logic.

You using multiple different attacks [which I do too] doesn't NOT create a pattern. No matter what you do it creates one.

AI use patterns to block crap in the game. If they didn't they would beat everyone because an AI's reflexes are quicker than our own.

That's why in MK3, if you threw a sweep first the AI could beat you at it, or if you threw an Uppercut, how they somehow would duck down and do it back to you.

Games are coding, coding is set as patterns.

You can jump, walk, dash, block, throw projectiles [which I do too] you'll still create a new pattern that already exist or mix and mash them.

I'm not saying you are taking advantage of said pattern but if you honestly think you aren't creating one... You need to read up on game design.

Obviously this is a game with a finite number of moves, so everything is a "pattern". Without ever playing the game, you could map out every possible move and every possible combination and fit whatever random sequence of moves one performed into one of your "pattern" templates. That being said, it's totally different for someone to beat a computer character with an actual "pattern", as in performing the same move, or the same sequence of moves, over and over again to exploit a weakness in code, then for a player to beat the computer with the exact same play style they use vs human opponents. If you cannot understand the distinction between these two scenarios I fear nobody can explain it to you.

Last edited:
So far, beating him with Sektor was almost a double flawless on expert. If he attempts to throw a weapon, teleport uppercut him and either juggle or just uppercut. Same with his taunts.
The shokan bosses can be beat the same way, they are all highly susceptible to sektors teleport uppercut.

Obviously, that is the easy way to do it.

Obviously this is a game with a finite number of moves, so everything is a "pattern". Without ever playing the game, you could map out every possible move and every possible combination and fit whatever random sequence of moves one performed into one of your "pattern" templates. That being said, it's totally different for someone to beat a computer character with an actual "pattern", as in performing the same move, or the same sequence of moves, over and over again to exploit a weakness in code, then for a player to beat the computer with the exact same play style they use vs human opponents. If you cannot understand the distinction between these two scenarios I fear nobody can explain it to you.

There isn't much of a difference. The AI reads your reactions during your gameplay, if you play a certain style throughout the arcade ladder the AI will adapt to it.

For instance:

Round 1 on any AL will be an AI that hardly moves [although on the hardest difficulty they aren't just sitting ducks they help assess the next AIs you face further up on the ladder]

So if you play a certain style you will create a pattern within the AI previous to fighting them.

One match I kept abusing Scorpion's Telepunch/Spear. The next round I didn't use it but once. The AI instantly reacted to it which shouldn't happen in that round due to the fact that I threw it out at a completely random time. However, it had recorded information [like Psycho Mantis from MGS] who records information as you play through, not just from facing that match.

So if you play the same style throughout the entire arcade ladder you will set a ladder. The only difference is humans can adapt to AI patterns unlike the AI being able to adapt to us. However, if an AI is allowed off its pattern leash [Slightly seen in SC3/UMK3 which is known as "going crazy." ]The AI can pretty much defeat any attempt at winning. Because outside of patterns AI are impossible to beat. Similar to the super computer that beat the best chess player in the world. It was off its leash thanks to being allowed to calculate whatever it wanted.

Same as what I'm saying here. You may have no intentionally created a pattern, but you created one which means it can be defeated due to adaptation.

Example: You don't use throws and the AI starts blocking, BOOm, you've caused the AI to fall victim to them. (Though if you keep doing it they will form a pattern to prevent being thrown)

Edit: Yes I said they don't adapt, and I said they adapt.

To clarify, they adapt a pattern to your moves, but they can't adapt their own solution to your moves.

I find it fairly easy to beat him. I choose reptile and stay away, if he throws a hammer, jump over it and do a quick forceball, if he throws a spear just forceball him because reptile automatically ducks under the spear then BAM, free combo. I usually do 8-11 hit combos on him. Trying to not just jump, punch, uppercut. That's just boring. LOVE IT, how chep he is though :D