Button inputs TOO forgiving ???

3nany

i just noticed that with sub-zero for instance if u try a X,A combo and his D,F,A special attack . u can get away with just inputting X,A,D,F ??? i mean techincally i didnt input the special attack but i still see him shooting off his ice?

I made an account (finally) just to tell you this:

In fighting games, you throw out your special when you RELEASE the final button. In essence, for sub zero's freeze ball, you can press and hold A, do a D, F, then release A. VIOALA! Ice ball!

Now, in your combo, I imagine you are pressing X, A, and then press D, F while still holding A, then you let go of A and an ice ball comes out.

It works for pretty much every fighting game, it is standard for the genre.

Hope that helps explain what is happening.

I'm not a hard corp fighting game pro, but pretty sure this was intentional. It's part of figuring out a character and how to make them just a little bit quicker. So far I really like it... for example... I am playing story mode and got to Kitana. I haven't practiced with her yet so I was sort of button mashing combos just to get through... I'd be in the middle of a short combo and I'd just think about throwing her fans and out they come. Seems like in the old school versions you had to be pretty precise with you inputs/button commands, but these are very forgiving.

Hard corp fighting fans may be able to give a better opinion here, but I like how it's easy to use inside of a combo. For me this makes the game fun practicing with a new character and seeing what combos really flow well into a special.

I made an account (finally) just to tell you this:

In fighting games, you throw out your special when you RELEASE the final button. In essence, for sub zero's freeze ball, you can press and hold A, do a D, F, then release A. VIOALA! Ice ball!

Now, in your combo, I imagine you are pressing X, A, and then press D, F while still holding A, then you let go of A and an ice ball comes out.

It works for pretty much every fighting game, it is standard for the genre.

Hope that helps explain what is happening.

Actually, that's not really what's going on here. Not saying that it isn't possible to do that in this game, but for whatever reason, there are also "shortcut" specials that you can do without actually hitting the attack button. If the last attack button you hit (in a ground combo, anyway) is the same as the one a special uses, you only have to do the directional inputs to cancel into it. So yeah, you can hit "X, X, back, back" with Scorpion and you'll cancel into his spear. I've even taken my right thumb completely off the controller to be sure.

It's a weird feature, and honestly, I don't care much for it. Occasionally you'll cancel into a special that you didn't want just because you took a split-second longer to hit the button for the special you did want. I'd rather have total control at the expense of cancels being very slightly more difficult.

Actually, that's not really what's going on here. Not saying that it isn't possible to do that in this game, but for whatever reason, there are also "shortcut" specials that you can do without actually hitting the attack button. If the last attack button you hit (in a ground combo, anyway) is the same as the one a special uses, you only have to do the directional inputs to cancel into it. So yeah, you can hit "X, X, back, back" with Scorpion and you'll cancel into his spear. I've even taken my right thumb completely off the controller to be sure.

It's a weird feature, and honestly, I don't care much for it. Occasionally you'll cancel into a special that you didn't want just because you took a split-second longer to hit the button for the special you did want. I'd rather have total control at the expense of cancels being very slightly more difficult.

I noticed this in training mode and feel the same way, if you input to quick you cancel out of what you want to do and it ends up doing something like you described.

Yea, it's a bit annoying and really messes up combos. When doing a corner juggle with Noob, I always end up doing a black hole when doing X.Y.DB A. Doing the DB command too soon makes Noob shoot out the black hole without needing to push Y a second time.

Last edited:
Hhmm, that would explain a lot of weird things going on during some of my "let's find new combos" sessions... I'll investigate some more later.

As for the "release button" special moves, it didn't work for me.

NOT ALL fighting games allow for a special move to work with a button press OR a release BTW.

I was just about to make a thread about this (thank you search button)

Started off learning Sector and Mileena and quickly noticed that my combos were being cancelled into special moves I didn't input...it was then that I realized that the last button in my combo was triggering the unwanted special because the Game doesn't drop it right away...

Example: Let's say for Sektor I want to do:Teleport Uppercut ~ X (weak jab), Y (Strong jab) ~ Front Missile (back, forward X)

But because of the button latency the game picks up a Flamethrower special instead of the Front Missile (Flamethrower = back, forward Y)

the Y (Strong Jab) is being carried over to the (back, forward) I input after it to prepare for a missile cancel...

I don't understand why more people aren't talking about this...it's a serious problem that really effects characters that have overlapping special inputs...

How could NRS overlook this?

Look up negative edging.

^ Again...It is not negative edging...

Yes, negative edging is apart of MK9 but it's not the issue here...

we're not talking about holding down a button ~ inputting directional motions ~ releasing the button

we're talking about hitting a button ~ releasing the button ~ inputting direction motions

Example: Doing Ryu's crouching MK - Hadoken combo in SFIV

Imagine if the game let you do crouching MK (letting go of the button afterwards) then inputting down, down-forward, forward to get the full combo (no punch button required after Hadoken motion)

Last edited:
I have noticed this with Sub Zero.

Press buttons 2 , 1 , 4 , Ice Ball often turns into 2 , 1 , 4 , Slide kick. It is almost like it skips the 4 button push and goes into the Slide.

It is kind of annoying but I find if I maintain my cool during a match I can make it work OK.

Imagine if the game let you do crouching MK (letting go of the button afterwards) then inputting down, down-forward, forward to get the full combo (no punch button required after Hadoken motion)

I don't think this would do anything for you since the last button you pushed was not a punch button. For the shortcut to take place the button must be pressed prior to the input. For instance, Mac's F+1, 1, Lift combo can be done F+1, 1, qcb because the last button pressed was indeed 1, which "tells it" you intend to lift.

This also seems to limit WHAT you can cancel into. Kinda sux w/ Ermac because 3 of his moves are qcb + button heh.

Look at this as an opportunity to discover new techniques.

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed (someone posted a video of this in action a while back), but this MK's buffering system opens the door to "advanced" techniques found in games like Street Fighter and Tekken.

For example, Mileena's Sai Blast is listed as b,f+RP. However, the direction of the inputs do not exclusively have to be "back, forward." The game's system considers d/b and u/b to be acceptable "back" motions. Accordingly, the Sai Blast can be performed by doing d/b,f+RP. Where it gets interesting is when you consider the fact that the Sai Blast can be done in the air (it should be noted that the air version of special moves typically have different properties than the ground version). u/b is a back motion but it's also a jumping motion that will put Mileena in the air. By inputting u/b,f+RP, you can fire off Sai Blasts in the air, but remain close to the ground (the f+RP effectively cancels the jump into the Sai Blast, so the faster your input, the closer you will remain to the ground). This is far less cumbersome than jumping and then inputting the full motions.