I am growing frustrated with the 360 d-pad, thinking about getting the TE Stick. HELP

TheDynasty

If you read this please respond quickly I got till tomorrow evening for the TE stick. Heres the deal I beat the arcade ladder with Kitana on Hard and I got up to Goro on expert but I really feel like this d-pad is holding me back, its reading my inputs wrong at times jumping when I press back its annoying. I want a new controller or stick.

I could either

A) I could get the TE stick I know a store that has 2 in stock, I know its made for MK but a lot of people have been complaining about the blocking location and it feeling awkward to press. the extra copy isn't a problem a friend said he'd just pay me $55 for it.

or

B) I could get a gamepad, I have no idea what to look for and which to buy that is best for MK

I never owned a stick nor game pad other than standard 360 controller but I am looking to be pretty competitive online and maybe even at tournaments with this game. So what is the best choice for MK competitive play? I am just looking for controller that can deal with the execution of long juggling combos.

You're not alone. I'm so fed-up with the 360 pad that I'm selling my copy of MK for 360 and buying the PS3 version just so I can have a damn working pad.

Who is complaining about the block location? Seems perfect for me, its traditional mortal kombat button layout.

If you want to stick with a pad though, transforming dpad controller is good, and so are the marvel/capcom fightpads. A stick is pretty different to using a pad, so if you haven't used one before, there could be a bit of a learning curve while you get to grips with it.

I have the same problem with my Xbox controller and I'm not sure if too much Mk did this :). On the first day AND on the LAST fight! of the story mode, my character would jump by itself until I move the analog stick. I am thinking of buying this controller now, any suggestions?

Guys, get the te stick it is awesome im really happy with it, i foresaw this problem while playing umk3. The te stick is really responsive and sturdy and quality made.

Who is complaining about the block location? Seems perfect for me, its traditional mortal kombat button layout.

If you want to stick with a pad though, transforming dpad controller is good, and so are the marvel/capcom fightpads. A stick is pretty different to using a pad, so if you haven't used one before, there could be a bit of a learning curve while you get to grips with it.

Im 24 I was around the arcades a whole bunch in my earlier days especially when MK was in its prime, but its been awhile lol.

but I was new to MK on a gamepad since the SNES/SEGA days so I don't know.

You'll probably be ok then, I hadn't used a stick for like 10+ years since I played MK in arcades, but once I sat down the TE stick it all came back to me pretty quick.

GET THE MARVEL VERSUS PAD! It works WONDERFULLY with Mortal Kombat 2011! I can pull moves off like a pro on an expensive arcade stick. Here is the link to the controller http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/acc...ntroller/90035 and here is a video review of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsNLj6zHsLw

The alleged redesigned silver controller with pop-up d-pad will be no better for you, I guarantee it. I tried my friend's silver wireless controller and while it looks sleek and cozy, it suffers the same issues for fighting games. Also, the turning, pop-up d-pad is not any more responsive for the ultra-quick demands needed to pull of combos in a game like Mortal Kombat, and it is cheap and frail; it can snap off and there are lots of reports of this.

I play Mortal Kombat on the Xbox 360 and had been using the standard wireless controller that came with the 4gig Xbox 360 released last Summer. Let me tell you that while the Xbox 360 controller may be great for other genres of games, it is terribly unresponsive, inaccurate, and uncomfortable for fighting games. The back of my hand began to feel quite sore after two hours of playing Mortal Kombat 2011. Performing enhanced moves where you need to hold down two buttons to perform is very uncomfortable, and some moves required me to enter them at least two, or more, times for them to go off. This cannot happen in a very fast fighting game, such as Mortal Kombat. I tried several different button layouts, but each seemed worse. However, there is good news for Xbox 360 owners who are playing Mortal Kombat. I did some research and picked up the Marvel Versus fighting pad. Let me tell you what a difference this gem of a controller makes when playing Mortal Kombat. I do not like to use arcade sticks, even though they are the standard for advanced gameplay in fighting games, and far prefer a gamepad. This Marvel pad combines both an arcade stick and a d-pad into one genius solution. The bigger, more responsive face buttons are a treasure, too, as are the shoulder buttons, which are far more comfortable to use than triggers. The start and select buttons are on the top to prevent accidental pressing during a hectic fight, and the two extra buttons on the face of the controller are much better for throwing, stance changes, etc. The controller is well built, though the simple white paint on the buttons apparently can rub off with finger oil over time. The Marvel art on the controller does not rub off, though, and the controller is light, but very sturdy, and smaller for comfort. It may look oddly shaped, but for my large hands it felt like heaven. The response of the digital triggers in the direction stick is fantastic. I cannot praise this controller enough. Oh, being wired is the way to go. The response time of a wired controller over wireless is easily apparent. Even if you do not like Marvel comics, and are not a fan of the art design on the controller, it is worth every penny for anyone who plans to be a decent Mortal Kombat player, and intends to pull off the 40%+ combos on a regular basis. I am sure experts will argue that it is a gamepad, there is no way it can compete with an arcade stick, and perhaps nothing can ever beat an arcade stick, but the combination of the arcade click triggers and d-pad feel on this controller is the best of both worlds. I highly, highly recommend it for anyone who plans to do more than shoot an ice ball, then uppercut.

I hope this helps Xbox 360 Mortal Kombat fans who either cannot afford/find the arcade stick, or those who prefer to use a gamepad for fighting games.

If you read this please respond quickly I got till tomorrow evening for the TE stick. Heres the deal I beat the arcade ladder with Kitana on Hard and I got up to Goro on expert but I really feel like this d-pad is holding me back, its reading my inputs wrong at times jumping when I press back its annoying. I want a new controller or stick.

I could either

A) I could get the TE stick I know a store that has 2 in stock, I know its made for MK but a lot of people have been complaining about the blocking location and it feeling awkward to press. the extra copy isn't a problem a friend said he'd just pay me $55 for it.

or

B) I could get a gamepad, I have no idea what to look for and which to buy that is best for MK

I never owned a stick nor game pad other than standard 360 controller but I am looking to be pretty competitive online and maybe even at tournaments with this game. So what is the best choice for MK competitive play? I am just looking for controller that can deal with the execution of long juggling combos.

I could either

or

Wow, this is a hot topic today, this is my third post about this issue. I'll quote myself from another thread:

shutdown said:
was in the exact same boat when it came to controllers the last few days. I played the demo for PS3, but I primarily use my 360. So when I started playing the game on the 19th, I was ready to punch a hole in my wall due to the dpad (side note, the transforming dpad is actually worse for MK, my opinion). I was about the grab a PS3 copy too.

After some browsing around and asking around, I saw Tim Static suggested this controller as well as TRMK on Twitter:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-E.../dp/B002LT9PXQ

I received it last night and I could not be happier. Super precise dpad. Took a good half hour to get used to although. The ABXY buttons needed to "break in" it seems and the button layout is a bit different.

I highly suggest this controller for any fellow MK fan suffering from the 360 dpad.

Good luck!

Last edited:
This PDP Marvel Controller seems interesting any other MK users have experience with this besides DieHumanless?

also the Hori EX2 is something a lot of people have been recommending, so I will have to look into that.

all I know is even if I cant get the TE stick today I am going to have to find a new controller upgrade.

Hence why I got the game for PS3. There was no way in Hell I was going to shell out $150 on this game, and I definitely wasn't going to attempt playing on 360 with its awful d-pad. So far no problems on PS3, though sometimes a special move will flub.

If i may make a recomendation. I'm using the Street fighter 4 gamepad and the sf4 tournament stick which in my opinion is MILES ahead of the PDP stick. The sf4 stick had original sanwa parts and the repsonse level, again in my opinion is just way ahead of the PDP one which i used for the mk9 tourney. I still won with the PDP but if i had my street fighter arcade stick i'd own!
If you aren't the arcade stick type then go for the gamepad. Youll find lots of them at your local gamestop.