PS3 vs 360 Versions/Controller

I'm thinking about buying the wired control pad for Xbox360. The pad's still in the same awkward positioning, but at least it's an actual pad and not the disc. Plus, it's cheaper than that silver Play-and-charge one (which is also pretty cool).

I loved the PS3 controller for the demo and I bought the game on 360 and I am having a hard time with my fightpad and the 360 controller. Actually ended up ordering a PS2/PS3 controller converter for 360.

it is an absolute gimmick. i hope no one falls for this. the pop-up d-pad is the same shitty d-pad from the standard controller with slightly curved plastic. and in the pop-up position it feels frail and it can just snap off.

i happen to use the new inverted D-pad controller and it does not feel frail at all, it feels fine i don't know what you are talking about. i bang the hell out of it and it hasn't snapped off? infact it works great its very responsive, accurate, and comfortable.

For me, fighting games are the only games that Playstation controllers are better for. Besides the quality of the d-pad, it's all about the placement. The 360 controller is better for pretty much everything else in my opinion.

The d-pad buttons on the ps3 controller is fantastic for fighting games. I have played the xbl umk3 for the xbox 360 and knew from previous experience that he d-pad was a pain in the ass to use (joystick was good for others like soul calibur, but not so great for MK). Hence, this is why i picked up mk9 for the ps3.

Okay, so despite a few (relatively) minor gripes, I have to say that I absolutely love this game, and it does, in face, trump the original Dreamcast release of Soul Calibur for me in terms of fighting games, which was my previous favorite. However, the problem I have with this game is version specific...

Pulling off moves, like flameport with scorpion, using the 360 controller is absolutely ridiculous. Half the time it just does a low kick and nothing else. Also, the buttons are terrible for this type of game. The D-Pad is also basically useless...

Because of this, it's made me think: should I just go get the PS3 version? I have some games to trade in anyway, and gamestop is doing a "25%+ trade in credit towards MK" deal right now. So, if I trade in my 360 MK and my other games, I might only lose a few bucks from having bought the 360 version.

The real question here is, though- is it worth it, or is the PS3 controller equally crappy for fighting games? I become so frustrated with the non-responsive 360 controls that I'm considering just buying a freaking fight stick to play this game properly.

So, what do you think, is it worth switching over now? The PS3 version seems like it would have better controls, +Kratos is a nice touch, but I'll lose a little cash in the process. What do you all suggest?

Hey there,

I was in the exact same boat when it came to controllers the last few days. I played the demo for PS3, but I primarily use my 360. So when I started playing the game on the 19th, I was ready to punch a hole in my wall due to the dpad (side note, the transforming dpad is actually worse for MK, my opinion). I was about the grab a PS3 copy too.

After some browsing around and asking around, I saw Tim Static suggested this controller as well as TRMK on Twitter:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ

I received it last night and I could not be happier. Super precise dpad. Took a good half hour to get used to although. The ABXY buttons needed to "break in" it seems and the button layout is a bit different.

I highly suggest this controller for any fellow MK fan suffering from the 360 dpad.

Good luck!

I seriously don't understand how people can defend the standard xbox controller it's just not accurate enough for fighters. I have umk3 on xbox and noticed right away how crappy it was I couldn't pull off a lot of moves I would mess up fatality's all the time. The ps3 dpad is the best its extremely accurate there are no complaints about control on the ds3. I wouldn't touch the xbox version unless you have a fightstick or an aftermarket controller, after a while some of these people who claim the standard dpad works for them are going to realize it doesn't especially when your playing against somebody whose good and you need to pull moves off fast there is a large percentage for error. If you like playing mk on xbox I suggest buying a controller that works for it and if you don't want to do that than trade it for the ps3 version.

I have the new "transforming" 360 controller and I can tell you that it's not really any better. I still ended up having to take apart the controller and sanding down the wall surrounding the d-pad. That helped significantly, but it still isn't as good as the PS3 d-pad. I would recommend an aftermarket controller, like what shutdown posted above.