Sub Zero is awful in this game

I feel that when using Sub-Zero this game comes as close as it can be to playing MK1, at least while you don't use any of the new features (breaker, x-ray, etc). Uppercuting jumpers, freeze-jump kick-slide, sweeps kicks again and again, its pretty cool really, and different to all the others characters. Of course you can ignore all that and play in the new style, with the jump punch combos, x-rays, the dash forward and backward, enhanced moves, when using him that way, Sub-Zero has so far been the most difficult character to learn at least a simple medium damage combo, his combos are extremely hard to do, especially when compared with Ermac or Kitana, who can do 30-40% damage with incredibly easy 7-8 hits combos, not to mention those 60-70 damage, 20+ hits monsters posted on Youtube.

I wouldn't say awful but I don't really like him much in this game. I can do some combos with him but not high damage ones. I find it hard to figure his out.

I find Ermac's gameplay quite different from the rest and somewhat hard to master. Noobs are not going to win rounds with him online.

OMG Yes! He has always been my go to character but now! He's so slow,I feel like cyber sub-zero is just as bad too. I had to move on to faster characters, like omg Sonya is awesome in this game, and Sindel always seemed to suck, but now I love her too. It seems they really moved the skill sets around this time, which is fine, I think it allows for some other hardly played characters to come into the limelight, where as Sub-Zero, and Scorpion are always in front maybe now we'll see more diversity in matches online. Im hoping I dont have to get spammed with Scorpions teleport everytime I play online.

I feel that when using Sub-Zero this game comes as close as it can be to playing MK1, at least while you don't use any of the new features (breaker, x-ray, etc). Uppercuting jumpers, freeze-jump kick-slide, sweeps kicks again and again, its pretty cool really, and different to all the others characters. Of course you can ignore all that and play in the new style, with the jump punch combos, x-rays, the dash forward and backward, enhanced moves, when using him that way, Sub-Zero has so far been the most difficult character to learn at least a simple medium damage combo, his combos are extremely hard to do, especially when compared with Ermac or Kitana, who can do 30-40% damage with incredibly easy 7-8 hits combos, not to mention those 60-70 damage, 20+ hits monsters posted on Youtube.

Jump punch combos: Not really that new.

Sub-Zero isn't awful. I do really well with him. You can't expect to play him like you would most of the other characters however.

I don't know why people are saying Ermac is slow. I've found him to be pretty medium paced. Maybe even faster.

Anyways, I regularly do pretty basic 20-30% combos with Subby.

Jump punch combos: Not really that new.

Sub-Zero isn't awful. I do really well with him. You can't expect to play him like you would most of the other characters however.

I don't know why people are saying Ermac is slow. I've found him to be pretty medium paced. Maybe even faster.

Anyways, I regularly do pretty basic 20-30% combos with Subby.

The 20% combo is pretty easy to execute. It gets a bit trickier after that though.

Freeze, Triangle+Square+Circle Combo, Enhanced Slide, thats an easy cool combo. Subzero is my main and the character wich i play better, i think he is really awesome, dont care about the speed, the skills are what matters. Anyway i think he needs at least one more special move, like a teleport, but i know it is not but i consider the force claws (Back+Triangle) an special move.

My only real complaint with Subby in this game is the absolute worthlessness of his Ground Freeze. That move was part of my BnB combo back in MK2 (Subby was my best character) but now it's WORTHLESS. I can't comprehend a situation where it's useful. It's so effing slow!

My only real complaint with Subby in this game is the absolute worthlessness of his Ground Freeze. That move was part of my BnB combo back in MK2 (Subby was my best character) but now it's WORTHLESS. I can't comprehend a situation where it's useful. It's so effing slow!

If you play SZ correctly, you should be keeping them grounded with clones. That opens up the ground freeze, especially the enhanced one because it covers the whole screen.

Seriously. He is in slow motion. It makes no sense at all. Scorpion is much faster and they've always had pretty much the same speed in every game. He feels like he weighs 400 pounds, I can't stand it.
No, I don't definitely agree.

You can make nice combos with him. Perhaps you don't use combos and spam people.

I honestly think that Sub-Zero is a great character with good moves BUT I do think he could be a little quicker with his attacks. I played as him in the demo and i was enjoying every minute of it. I just think, with the huge cast of unique characters in this game and with his popularity, NRS could have atleast made him comfortable to people who see him on the character select screen and say "Ooh, i'm going to choose him" and then struggle playing as him in the match :S

I know this topic is about Sub-Zero, But i can't help to add how great the cast is in this Mortal Kombat! I am so glad that all my favourite characters like: Jade, Kabal, Nightwolf, Mileena are back.

Plus - I think Cyber Subby is alot better, infact, he beats most of the cyborgs in my opinion :)

Even if I prefer Cyber Sub gameplay wise in this one... Sub is far away from being awful.

Hell you have to plpay smart but if you are able to land hits they are devasting... A bit like with Kazuya in Tekken.

This. It used to be an awesome move (and comical) but the delay is too extreme. Why is that? I mean Scorpions hell fire and Cyber Subs bombs have no real delay in launching. Why does this unblockable suffer? :(

I don't know. I like SZ in this just fine. I would agree with the ground freeze. I also don't find myself using Ice Clone as often as I used to.

Yeah, the biggest problem I've had with him is the fact that he only has four special moves and one of them (Ground Freeze) is next to useless. His Ice Clone move is also tough to get down pat, plus his combos take some real patience.

This by no means makes him a bad character, just slower and more defensive than usual. For such a big name, flagship character to take a lot of time to get a handle on limits his pickup and playability, which I think is rather key for a character who so thoroughly represents the series. I enjoy playing as him, but a couple of my friends got a bit frustrated because they came over, picked up a controller just to jump into a couple games with my roommates and I before they bounced to their next class and they just got rolled.

Just a curious little conundrum.

If you play SZ correctly, you should be keeping them grounded with clones. That opens up the ground freeze, especially the enhanced one because it covers the whole screen.

Except, that's not true because even if you keep them on the ground with a clone the hideous startup frames on ground freeze STILL leaves you open to being projectiled or teleported on. It's worthless. It's not even useful as a combo-reset.