Strategy Guide Tier List...

PsychoShot

So, if you haven't already seen the tier list for MK9, which is in the Strategy Guide, it looks like this:

Top:
Shang Tsung
Raiden
Kung Lao
Night Wolf
Johnny Cage
Ermac
Smoke

Mid
Kabal
Liu Kang
Kano
Kitana
Mileena
Reptile
Sindel
Scorpion
Sonya
Stryker
Sub-Zero

Low
Jax
Jade
Cyrax
Noob Saibot
Sektor

Shit
Baraka
Seeva
Quan Chi
Cyber Sub-Zero

Now, before you think, "Stupid topic. Won't matter in two months." My question for everyone is, who do you think will stay top tier/drop down/etc.?

I'm still surprised that Scorpion isn't higher considering that he's Boon's fav.

It doesn't surprise me that Smoke and Kabal are still high in the tier list, even in the beginning. Also, Shang Tsung being the best kind of surprised me.

I thought Cyrax would be higher. He was like the 5th karacter I tried and I was simply blown away by the amount of specials and crap he could throw at the enemy. The net plus his sick teleport are just so good.

A quick question : So as far as MK is concerned, are tiers based solely on the special moves of characters or they are other factors as well. If so could you please explain.

A quick question : So as far as MK is concerned, are tiers based solely on the special moves of characters or they are other factors as well. If so could you please explain.

They're just like tiers for other fighting games: It's all based on the amount of good match ups you have. Like, if Ermac has no good matchups, then he's probably going to be the worst character in the game, or close to the bottom. Of course, Ermac ISN'T that bad, but I was just using it as an example.

Jax, Cyrax, Sektor, Noob, Sindel, Quan Chi, Scorpion, Jade, Sonya, and Cyber Sub Zero...should be higher than what they are

Cyber Sub Zero definitely isnt the worst character.

Sheeva may be the worst. As much as I like her.
She feels like Ganon in Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Smoke is most likely the best in the game...he's like Metaknight in Brawl

Top 5 might be Smoke, Ermac, Kabal, Kung Lao, and Scorpion or Noob

I thought Cyrax would be higher. He was like the 5th karacter I tried and I was simply blown away by the amount of specials and crap he could throw at the enemy. The net plus his sick teleport are just so good.

I agree! He has the most special moves, good at zoning, and very versatile.

Last edited:
Shang Tsung is no where near the best, I've been training with him and his 13 move combo only does like 40% damage and it's so hard to pull off.

Smoke is most likely the best in the game...he's like Metaknight in Brawl

Seriously? Even in a nice way, comparing those two games, even in the slightest, is an insult to MK9.

On topic, I think Sonya will end up being high up, since she has an air grab.

Seriously? Even in a nice way, comparing those two games, even in the slightest, is an insult to MK9.

My bad I didnt mean to disrespect MK by no means lol.
I was just pointing out that Smoke's unbelievably fast moves
reminded me of Metaknight's where he was better
than the rest of the characters because of this.

Yeah I take this list with a grain of salt. The fact remains that the game simply hasn't been around long enough for to make a super accurate list. From what I've seen some of the lower level tiered characters certainly deserve a higher spot. I'll be interested to see what people think of this list in a months time.

What does this tear thing mean? I've played every MK and I've never been aware of these "tiers", can some explain more thoroughly?

Every character is tested against the entire roster and for each matchup they get rated 1-10 depending on how well they match up against their opponent. The tier is based on the accumulated scores for every character. So CSZ has a total score of around 103 I believe while Shang Tsung has a score of around 168 (more or less).

Oh, well then just because they are in the bottom tier doesn't necessarily mean they suck, just that they didn't do well AI vs. AI (I'm guessing).

Oh, well then just because they are in the bottom tier doesn't necessarily mean they suck, just that they didn't do well AI vs. AI (I'm guessing).

From what I understand they tested each one themselves over a certain number of matches and based the readings on the outcomes. For example CSZ was used against Scorpion 100 times and won only 18 times out of the 100. But as I said before I think it's too early to have such an analysis stick I've heard that players have great results with Scorpion and Cyrax who are both in the middle while they struggle with Shang Tsung and Raiden who are the two best according to this chart.

From what I understand they tested each one themselves over a certain number of matches and based the readings on the outcomes. For example CSZ was used against Scorpion 100 times and won only 18 times out of the 100. But as I said before I think it's too early to have such an analysis stick I've heard that players have great results with Scorpion and Cyrax who are both in the middle while they struggle with Shang Tsung and Raiden who are the two best according to this chart.
Oh, I think human vs. AI/human is a little stupid. what if the guy being CSZ just sucked at the game? Or maybe he was having a bad day or was tired. Lol, i know this sounds dumb, but I just can't take this tier list seriously.