Which 360-controller is best suited for MK?

Hey guys!

I currenty have 2 standard 360 controllers from MS. The thing is, I have been considering buying a new one due to the fact that the sticks are worn. The four rubber dots on them are all gone and I don't feel like I get a good grip on them.
Also, I tried out the MK demo at a friends place the other day on the PS3 and it just felt so darn natural to use the D-pad. The D-pad on the 360 sucks though, thus I was considering alternatives, either the new transforming D-pad controller from MS or the Razer Onza and I was wondering which one is better? I am also open to suggestions for other third-party controllers as long as they have the same kind of "filling" feel in your hands.
The 360 controller is by far the most comfortable I have used due to the fact that the Dual-Shock is simply too small.
A thing to note is that I like to utilize something akin to "the claw-grip", which is simply an alternative way of holding the controller, your left hand is in standard position but your right is "inverted" with the index, middle and ring fingers resting on the face buttons. This helps me pull of fast commands, the downside is that you can not reach the right trigger and bumper in a convinient way....which is a goo argument for the Razer Onza as it has extra configurable shoulder buttons.
So, what controller should I invest my money into?

P.S.: I do not want an arcade stick, they simply do not work for me.

I haven't used it, but I can say I've seen in several reviews that the transforming d-pad on the newer controllers is not that much better than the original d-pad, especially for fighting games. Maybe someone else can offer more on that.

I basically agree with the video review posted above. Although I'm not sure why Eric is claiming the Onza is perfect for MK.

I got my Razer Onza (the fancier one, tournament edition i think it's called) in a few days ago. I mostly got it since I play Halo a lot and I loved the idea of adjustable tension analog sticks. The adjustable sticks work great and I'm glad I got it for playing Halo. I was hoping I'd also get a better D-pad to use with Mortal Kombat. Unfortunately, I don't think the d-pad on the Razer will be very good for MK. The pad is four completely separate buttons, but the distance you can press them is much too far to use on MK in my view. The ABXY face buttons are very quick and I wish they had used the same type of switches under the d-pad. I tried UMK3 with the Razer to see how it worked and I was able to do alright, but it never felt very natural and I'd honestly prefer the Microsoft controller d-pad for playing MK (or any fighting game).

The mappable shoulder buttons are nice, but it takes a bit to get used to them since they are so close to the regular RB and LB buttons. At first I would accidentally press both at once, but I got used to this fairly quickly. Overall, I'd recommend the Onza Tournament Edition (the regular doesn't have the adjustable tension) for FPS fans, but as a replacement for the Microsoft controller for fighting game I was disappointed.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Too bad, I was hoping one of these controllers would sport a great D-pad.

The adjustable tension on the Onza is a great idea. Have you tried stiffening them up and playing fighting games? I imagine that this would result in better controller and fewer instances where you miss a command, but I can't be sure.

Like the guy in the video review said, the stiffer analog sticks are good for something like Street Fighter. But MK relies more on double tapping one direction or going back, forward. Moves like ->, ->, X or <-,->, A would not be that easy for me to do accurately on the stick.

Hey bro, I had the same question as you. I usually prefer the d-pad when playing fighting games and the standard xbox controller d-pad is the suck. The best d-pad on a controller i've found is thishttp://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303002724&sr=8-1

I picked one up about a month ago and I really like it. It improved my game in mk vs dc a ton because the d-pad actually works! Be warned though, a lot of people have had issues with this controller "ghosting" where the joysticks will input movement even when you arent touching them. I haven't had any issues because I never touch the joysticks, this is just my MK/D-pad controller. It's not a bad price either. I'm happy with it.

any controller would work, dont listen to ANYONE who says the transforming d-pad fixed the xbox d pad "problem", i have had my xbox since 06-07, i have had the same controller since then, not ONCE has my d pad felt weird or broken, i have never heard of any creditable people tell me the d pad is horrible.

just a standard controller would work, i hate madcats or any third party controllers but you might be different

just a standard controller would work, i hate madcats or any third party controllers but you might be different

I usually feel the same way about third party controllers. The thing is I do find that the PS3 D-pad is better due to the fact that the buttons are not conjoined on the surface and the direction buttons are easier to press....it might be all in my head though.

Although, to be honest, I usually find third party controllers to be extremely ugly. Feels like they try too hard to make the cool-looking. Although the Onza is pretty sweet.

any controller would work, dont listen to ANYONE who says the transforming d-pad fixed the xbox d pad "problem", i have had my xbox since 06-07, i have had the same controller since then, not ONCE has my d pad felt weird or broken, i have never heard of any creditable people tell me the d pad is horrible.

I dislike the default Xbox d-pad. Not only do they break much faster from large amounts of use, but it essentially still acts like a joystick due to being an exposed single piece of plastic.

I play better on fighting games with either an arcade stick or a PS3 controller. The d-pad on the PS3 is set up to feel like you're pressing buttons as opposed to moving a stick. I'm not saying this is true for everyone, but for the most part I'd say the PS3 D-Pad wins over Xbox all day.

I'd go with the Razer. The d-pad looks functional.

Ironic that you posted this as a thread, because I was going to do a review for which controller I find best suited for MK Xbox 360 play. I have the following for comparison's: Razer Onza TE, Transforming D-Pad, Marvel Fight Stick (controller, not arcade stick), Tron Controller, and the basic Xbox 360 controller. After playing MK vs DC, and UMK3, I can honestly say the d-pad on the Tron controller is my favorite.

Don't get me wrong, the Razer Onza is by far the overall superior controller, but not for fighting games. I bought this and the Transforming d-pad controller specifically for MK gameplay, but neither one was as responsive as the Tron controller. The Razer Onza's d-pad's buttons are so close together and extremely stiff that it makes pulling off moves very awkward and difficult.

As for the Marvel controller, it wasn't compatible with MK vs DC, so I'm going to guess it will be the same for MK 9.

The Transforming D-Pad controller came in second for me based on the fact it's not as responsive compared to the Tron controller. It also tended to slip out of position, which I was originally told it wouldn't. It does though at times, especially with a game like MK vs DC. It is better than the standard 360 controller, but definetly not by leaps and bounds.

Again, I'd say go with the Tron controller if you can find or offord one. Otherwise, the Transforming D-Pad would be a decent alternative. Sadly enough, I have yet to find one overall fantastic d-pad controller that's compatible for the 360.

Hope this helped!

I will be using a street fighter fight pad for mortal kombat, no analog to get i my way on this one!

143622-mad-catz-street-fighter-iv-round-2-fightpad-for-xbox-360-zangief-4609.jpg

Yeah, I was just gonna recommend the street fighter pad for 360! I've seen them at gamestop and I would totally go that way if I was getting MK for my 360... instead, I'm getting it for PS3 that has the perfect setup for a standard controller. It's not just that the dpad is better on PS3, but it's located in a much better spot.

It's basically the same reason that I play all of my shooters on 360 cause the 360 analog is better and in a better spot. +1 for the street fighter pad!!!

I own a SFIV pad...It's hardly would I'd consider a step up. It's basically an oversized floating analog stick...not very responsive IMO....

Since modding my standard 360 pad 2 years ago, I've had near perfect execution in SFIV...I really recommend trying it...it completely changes the response and feel of the d-pad...

i have the transforming d pad controller and i love it it works a hell of a lot better than the original controller i highly recommend that one

I own a SFIV pad...It's hardly would I'd consider a step up. It's basically an oversized floating analog stick...not very responsive IMO....

Since modding my standard 360 pad 2 years ago, I've had near perfect execution in SFIV...I really recommend trying it...it completely changes the response and feel of the d-pad...

Knives, that mod you posted looks great. I'm definitely going to try it tomorrow night. 2 quick questions:

1) Did you snap the non tamper clips in the screws before unscrewing, or did you just use a hollow point screwdriver?
2) Why a Pringles top? Can I just use the top off of any ordinary plastic container?

a ps3 controller

but no... whatever you prefer... for UMK3 I stick with the 360 controller I use the analog and still pull off all that off the wall **** with ease.

This. I havent had a problem with the D-pad on the original xbox controllers. I did buy one the new transforming d-pad (the pretty silver one) and a wireless headset just to prepare for tomorrow night though :)