How many characters can Shang Tsung morph into, in a single match????

Commander

The people at Kamidogu.com were watching the Gamespot live stream and they said this on Twitter:

@Kamidogu_com via twitter said:
CONFIRMED: Shang Tsung DOES have the ability to morph into other kombatants, not just his opponent!

Does that mean 2 or 3 combatants?
The whole roster?

I've tried to tweet them to see what they meant by that, but I have NO reply.

I'd really like to know, because it would be VERY impressive if NRS was able to get him to morph into ANY character, without any lag in the match.

I think the computer Shang Tsung sub-boss can morph into anybody, but when you are controlling him you can only morph into your opponent. Unconfirmed, but that is what I thought I heard on Gamespot's live stream.

It's awesome that NRS was able to do this. I am also happy that when controlling Shang Tsung you can only morph into your opponent's character because otherwise it would be an unfair advantage imo.

I think the computer Shang Tsung sub-boss can morph into anybody, but when you are controlling him you can only morph into your opponent. Unconfirmed, but that is what I thought I heard on Gamespot's live stream.

So it's only as a Sub-Boss (non-playable character) that he can morph into anyone?

This is 100% correct and COMFIRMED by Hans Lo in the live gamespot stream. The user can morph into the opponent to embarrass them but the COMPUTER can morph into whoever it feels like for a challenge to the gamer.

He also may have mentioned that the human player using Shang Tsung gets a more powerful version of their opponent.

So if you're Scorpion and im ST, I can morph into and do more damage than you. I AM NOT CLEAR ON THIS. It is just something I thought I hear so don't quote me on this.

The rest is completely true however.

Correct. (10)

That makes sense, since it's all RAM-based memory (not disc-based) when you're fighting the CPU.
Plus, I guess if NRS was able to make playable Shang Tsung morph into anyone (without lag), he'd be unbalanced.

Eh ...... Had my hopes up that NRS was able to make playable Shang morph, ala MK II, for a minute.

Glad you can still morph into your opponent, though.
Fight fire with fire.

I was going to say, dang, that'd be unbalanced. Though I would like classic morphing abilities back, if they could balance it in a future iteration.

I was going to say, dang, that'd be unbalanced. Though I would like classic morphing abilities back, if they could balance it in a future iteration.

True, but with today's technology (as I've mentioned in other Shang Tsung posts), ironically it would be less possible, due to the strain on the RAM memory, causing an in game lag.
It was much easier to do in the MK II days, because there were no internal organs, bones or muscles ... just sprites.

I agree with you on that, though.
It would be cool if NRS could find a way around that problem, for future MK's. :)

True, but with today's technology (as I've mentioned in other Shang Tsung posts), ironically it would be less possible, due to the strain on the RAM memory, causing an in game lag.
It was much easier to do in the MK II days, because there were no internal organs, bones or muscles ... just sprites.

I agree with you on that, though.
It would be cool if NRS could find a way around that problem, for future MK's. :)

Yeah, I understand that. XD

Though, I can't really think how they'd balance that or how they'd be able to do that. Though I guess they could have a random generator per match. [with a max of 5 characters per full match: All rounds]

This is 100% correct and COMFIRMED by Hans Lo in the live gamespot stream. The user can morph into the opponent to embarrass them but the COMPUTER can morph into whoever it feels like for a challenge to the gamer.

He also may have mentioned that the human player using Shang Tsung gets a more powerful version of their opponent.

So if you're Scorpion and im ST, I can morph into and do more damage than you. I AM NOT CLEAR ON THIS. It is just something I thought I hear so don't quote me on this.

The rest is completely true however.

this ^^^^ is not true. he didnt say the player using shang tsung can only morph into his opponent he just said shang tsung in general, which means that they were trying to keep it a secret to fool ppl but now that the cats out of the bag everybody knows he can morph into anyone.

Shang Tsung morphs into everyone?

durin the gamespot video at 2:22 or so shang tsung is fighting against smoke and you can see him turning into sonya and kano and stuff. O.O

Re: Shang Tsung morphs into everyone?

Yeah I was shocked too. One of the devs started explaining it, so I'm not sure if he can do it all the time or only when the CPU is controlling him, or what. Will be interesting to see.

The AI can turn into anyone, human players can only copy their opponent.

From what I've seen he changes into the same 3 people every time in a given match, I think they just worked it so it loads the same amount of characters as a tag team match would so it gives the illusion of him changing into everyone but he's really just swapping a few people in and out which is fine.

I could never remember the bajillion different inputs to make him change into everyone anyway. I remember in MK2 I'd just change into SubZero every time. That was it.