What is best about Mortal Kombat?

SoldierOfGod

From reading articles and people's opinions, it seems that MK is good because of the FATALITIES. But what do you guys think?

Personally I've always liked the storyline and characters. Alongside the fact this MK has competitive mechanics making it tourney worthy is another great thing about it.

besides from what others have said mk constantly rewards the player with unlockable stuff. another is discovering secrets although in todays modern ages things just cant be kept sectret anymore. also the cool characters:)

Maybe when I was younger it would have been fatalities but its gameplay now and has been for a long time now for me.

It has a very simple yet fun and deep fighting engine that makes it fun and accessible to all. The special moves are cancel-able which allows you to make your own combos. Than you can add the tag which is a new factor, and the multiple status effects from test your luck, and some killer challenges from the tower. You have loads of fun and game play !

I simply don't like the input-style of Street Fighter-like games. Certain attacks are too wonky to pull of in an effective way.
The fatalities are not somthing that I valute too highly in Mortal Kombat. They get old very fast.
I simply want a game that resembles those that I played when I was a kid.
What gets me very excited though is the combo-system in the game and the variation between characters.
Street fighter has tons of characters that are basically remodels of Ryu with slight differences. This was true for all the ninja-characters of early Mortal Kombat aswell, but now, the ninja-characters are very different.
In Street Fighter projectile attacks have little variation. In Mortal Kombat 9 there seems to be a vast difference between the projectiles of even the ninja-characters when it comes to functionality.

I simply don't like the input-style of Street Fighter-like games. Certain attacks are too wonky to pull of in an effective way.
The fatalities are not somthing that I valute too highly in Mortal Kombat. They get old very fast.
I simply want a game that resembles those that I played when I was a kid.
What gets me very excited though is the combo-system in the game and the variation between characters.
Street fighter has tons of characters that are basically remodels of Ryu with slight differences. This was true for all the ninja-characters of early Mortal Kombat aswell, but now, the ninja-characters are very different.
In Street Fighter projectile attacks have little variation. In Mortal Kombat 9 there seems to be a vast difference between the projectiles of even the ninja-characters when it comes to functionality.

Not to start a fight on Street Fighter Vs. MK, but the "Shota clones" as they are called are far different. At best they may share some similarities, but in actual use, projectiles and more they have far different properties.

Not to start a fight on Street Fighter Vs. MK, but the "Shota clones" as they are called are far different. At best they may share some similarities, but in actual use, projectiles and more they have far different properties.

It's Shoto, not Shota, Shota means young boys in Japanese.....

It's Shoto, not Shota, Shota means young boys in Japanese.....

You stole this mans name.
Brandon-Spikes.jpg

lol

The best thing about Mortal Kombat is that the game has the perfect blend of story and pick-up-and-play.

No, I guess I understand where you are coming from.
Most of my friends prefer Street Fighter and I understand that the unerlying system is very complex, that is the very reason I didn't complain that each charatcer only has a few moves.
I just feel like there is even more variation in Mortal Kombat. I guess I am a fanboy :p Mortal Kombat was the fighting game of choice for me when I was younger.

You stole this mans name.
Brandon-Spikes.jpg

lol

The best thing about Mortal Kombat is that the game has the perfect blend of story and pick-up-and-play.

I've been using this nickname since '96 when I had Aol 5.0, he wasn't even a teenager at the time, 6 years ago when you Googled brandonspikes you would see everything associated with me and video games :(

Personally, I think the story is the best thing. As convoluted as it got later on, it still has the best story out of any fighting game.