Make or break for MK Fighting franchise games.

I've been reading some threads recently about how gameplay videos were insufficient to showing whether mortal kombat 9 is up to par or not.

Let me tell you, this game needs to bring back any of the feelings of MK2 - MK3 - MK4. (Or any of it's versions)

If it does not deliver on this, as promised by Boon, this will be a break for MK and many fans will loose interest.

However, if it is a make, then there will be good times down in the future for mortal kombat.

Anyone agree with my assessment of how Mortal Kombat 9 may shape the future of mortal kombat???

I don't know if you're right but im sure that MK9 won't disappoint us. Even the demo was way better than the last 3 MK's combined.

true true.. each game needs to deliver what it promises, completely agreed on that. and if the nostalgia feeling is not there for the majority then I guess it will be a break indeed simply because they promised that this game is a tribute to the mk1-umk3 era. however, I read some similar threads and I can't believe some consider the new mk inferior to the originals.. I mean, the originals got me to love mortal kombat for sure but after mk3 we all know there are like what? 3-4 characters worth mentioning? and besides those, nothing. they tried and failed with each game after mk3 (not hating on them, midway after all had a much lower budget compared to warner bros blah blah). and the first three games are not as sure as hell anywhere near to what this game delivers. every character is detailed, original, they all look amazing, the graphics are good, the movesets are good, the mk team listened to the fans a lot (skarlett, stage fatality rumours etc).. what more could one want? my bet is the game will have a nostalgia factor indeed , the new mk is a complete success imo (despite the babalities , if it's true indeed :p)

I disagree to a certain extent...cause if some things aren't good enough in the minds of the MK fans that have that have been involved since the beginning (like I have)...then it might be a disappointment to them........BUT, for the new fans of the series that are just starting to get into it, certain little details from the past, aren't going to bother them......either way, from what I've played and seen, this game WON'T be a disappointment at all...guaranteed.

Missing out on the feel of the classics would disappoint a lot of fans, but wouldn't make or break the game. There are a host of other, more important things that would do that...if the gameplay is boring, crappy or unbalanced for instance.

Disagree.
The nostalgia factor and the "feel" of the game are things that have allowed the casual players to buy the game and make it as popular as it is now. But the LONG TERM for Mortal Kombat 9 is in the hands on whether or not the competitive community accept it as a tournament worthy fighting game and elevate it to the status of other fighting games that will be forever remembered.

Tournament players still play and buy Street Fighter: 3rd Strike, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 because their is still a large amount of tournament players for those games. Most casual players move onto another game until a sequel comes out. But the gaming market does NEED these casual players to retain interest in the series to make the game's sequel have large sells at it's release. And they need the tournament players to give the game it's long lifespan. The marketing behind it is tricky, but I don't think the nostalgia factor is as big of a deal as your making it. It's a big deal, yea. But there are many other factors playing into whether this game will stay successful in the future. Balance between the characters being the BIGGEST factor.

I think Boon and company are going to give us nostalgia in spades, I can tell just by the demo, theres even a way to get the original stage music!, I've had my complaints about where the story seems to be going, but as for THIS game I think us old school MK fans will get a real treat, and I'm sure alot of new Mks fans as well, for me the Icing on the cake is the Klassic Sub Zero skin, thats just awesome, and the fact that thie using the arenas and even the characters are all from the original trilogy. Yup, I really think this game is going to ooze nostalgia, and thats a good thing. I really am excited to see what kind of twists they add to the story though.....

I agree with NothingRhymesWithCircus, it isn't the feel of the older MKs that has to be present, it just has t be significant gameplay that isn't horrible like the 3D kombat games [bar MK4 which despite having a horrible reputation amongst MK fans the gameplay was far from as bad as DA/D/A]

Majorly I think if all it is based on is nostalgia that won't make the game, as other fighting games are already beating MK in sales [Tekken the king of fighters at the current moment comes to mind], it needs to be a different experience, in that it draws in MK fans who are casuals [nostalgia value which it has], competitive players [by being in depth] and by just generally having a good variety of the two. Hopefully being graetly balanced and a throw back, which as far as can be seen it has both.

I won't be disapointed either way.

Do you know how many fans wrote off the series for it having dc in it last time but the same fans can't wait for this version. I don't think MK would ever have a make a break game for the cult following it has. U don't lose millions of fans over one game.

I am a huge Mortal Kombat fan and have been since MK1 and let me tell you MK9 feels allot like MK2 and MK3 but with bigger and better moves and combos. Its MK2 and MK3 combined with better graphics and more gameplay depth its AMAZING :)

If u cant see how great this game is gonna be by watching videos and playing the demo,then there's something wrong with you. You DONT need to watch 2 pros playing each other to see how good this game is, thats retarded. You can see in the trailers and other video's NRS has posted how great this game can be. The combos look insane. If you're worried about balance issues, DONT cuz they have a system in place so they can fix things on the fly without having to worry about a patch. They are serious about this game being a tournament fighter game, thats why they brought in tournament players to help them to make this the best game possible. Any glitches or spam moves or spam combos, they will fix to keep it balanced. Even if a special move is too fast or too slow, they said they would slow it down or speed it up.

Do you know how many fans wrote off the series for it having dc in it last time but the same fans can't wait for this version. I don't think MK would ever have a make a break game for the cult following it has. U don't lose millions of fans over one game.

Funny enough as I recall MKvDC was the highest selling 3D Kombat game.

I've been in the MK fan pool since the beginning and I just believe how big it has gotten. I agree with Kenshi Kang there is no way mk will have one game that just puts it out for good. I bought MKvsDC and traded it back in a few months later but I know this game will be different and have the depth it needs to become an instant classic. MKDA was the last MK I got really excited for and it feels so good to have the adrenaline back!

I may go as far as to say this will be the best Mortal Kombat and best fighting game of all time IMO and thats just by playing the demo and following the game since the annoucement with all the content. Prior to this game my top 5 favorite fighting games of all time were

1. Mortal Kombat 2
2. Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate/ MK Trilogy for N64
3. Mortal Kombat
4. Killer Instinct
5. Killier Instinct 2

yeah but if you take away all the DC fanboys who bought the game, it wouldnt of sold near as much..FACT

That's not a good argument.

Some people bought it because it had a better fighting system than the other 3D MKs and was actually decent. It proves the MK fanbase doesn't decide sales on MK games. = Low fanbase of MK.

with base on the demo gameplay, I think the game is pretty good, not complicate for newcomers at first, but, demanding training and effort along the time if your goal is being good and seeking for good competition online ..... I love this game already, and even more when the final version will be avaliable for all of us, to explore all good things the game has to offer, with incredible replay value I'm sure MK will have.