The Future of Gaming

Outworld Imp

All my life I've played video games. They are my hobby, possibly my future career. However, I am worried the future of the industry. For example, I am heavily opposed to motion gaming. To me, games will always be a controller and a box! I already look like a jackass playing the Wii!

I was reading an IGN article where they had a little discussion with David Jaffe. Now I have mad respect for Jaffe, as I am a huge fan of Twisted Metal, but his vision of the future of gaming (which is also the vision of other developers apparently) is a terrible one! He claims that many developers want to drop the console act and just make iPhone/iPad games. Apparently, that's what's hot on the market now and that we hardcore gamers are being stereotyped with the casual morons. He also predicts that the next console cycle will probably be the last, that the game disc will cease to exist and everything will be download!

Now I know that's Jaffe's opinion, but personally I am a bit nervous. Where is the industry going and how will it effect us gamers?

Hope that in the future every thing is not download
How about people who dont have access to internet ??
thats going to hurt sales ALOT
And motion gaming is just not the best gaming experience imo!! is not that i hate it but imagine playing mk9 on the kinect :S

That's horrible. I think these money hungry basterds are looking into this because people are buying used games, pirating them, renting etc.. Anyways I hope I'm alive for those virtual reality games lol Nice

Hope that in the future every thing is not download
How about people who dont have access to internet ??
thats going to hurt sales ALOT

you serious? people should have access to the interwebz its 2011! I once had no job living off 144$ a month and still afforded net.

i highly doubt it will ruin the sales of video games lol

on topic though - iphone gamea imo suck. they might get better, you never know but they get boring real fast. I am 100% sure newer consoles will come out.

I really hope that they don't drop consoles, I think it would be horrible if every game was developed just for the Ipad and Ipod.

I think a tangable medium will be around, for awhile. As far as motion gaming, get off the Wii and try the Move. It is very accurate, and if implamented well, could be a lot of fun. Last gen of consoles? Nah, I don't think so. That's great that casual gaming is growing, but there will always be a 'hardcore' base. If the current developers do go that route, then I guess it is up to YOU to create the new 'hardcore' games. :)

you serious? people should have access to the interwebz its 2011! I once had no job living off 144$ a month and still afforded net.

i highly doubt it will ruin the sales of video games lol

on topic though - iphone gamea imo suck. they might get better, you never know but they get boring real fast. I am 100% sure newer consoles will come out.

I know people that dont have internet.

I think a tangable medium will be around, for awhile. As far as motion gaming, get off the Wii and try the Move. It is very accurate, and if implamented well, could be a lot of fun. Last gen of consoles? Nah, I don't think so. That's great that casual gaming is growing, but there will always be a 'hardcore' base. If the current developers do go that route, then I guess it is up to YOU to create the new 'hardcore' games. :)

I hope you're right. They've realized casual games are money makers, but I don't think they are so much that they'll drop hardcore games. And I seriously hope they don't.

I got nothing against motion gaming, but ill play the PS move controller or kinect for fun casual times. I own a wii and i enjoy the console very much, so I really dont "casual" play the wii. I play it like any other console. But for my core games, I prefer a comfy controller, a console, a tv, and a game disk (or some kind of cartridge). I got nothing against DLC, but its not the future for full games. Sure, you can add content to games and do demos and such, but thats a smaller experience. And Nintendo is the one who keeps changing the generations. Shoulder buttons, analog, 3D gameplay (NOT STERIEOTOPIC 3D), Motion, casual gaming, etc. Its who knows what they will do next. The only thing ill say is Microsoft has the lead for online gaming. Not starting a game war, just saying who innovated the industry. The next gen will certainly be interesting