Online Lag

Goro's Armpits

If we're being realistic here I don't have much confidence with the online portion of this game.

For anyone who played MK vs DC online you know what I mean. The netcode was awful and you couldn't take the online play seriously. Fighting games require precise actions and reactions and MK vs DC was a joke with the latency and the exploits caused by it. As of right now I don't have high hopes for any kind of competitive play online. Has there been any discussion by NRS about an improved online experience? Or are we doomed to put up with the same crap as MK vs DC?

Why in the name of Jesus himself would NRS not listen to the fans and not upgrade the online experience? And don't forget, there is nothing realistic about Mortal Kombat.

MK Vs DC wasn't a true MK game, it was just a spinoff. I never had major lag problems in any of the real MK games playing line, I doubt MK9 will be any different.

i hope its like UMK3 for 360 where u can see how much bar they have if they have a good connection or not b4 you accept the fight.

Boon said something like this in an interview about a month ago : "You will be able to reproduce the offline combos online".

It might not be his exact words,but I remember clearly that he said something like that because it was one of the things that I was the most concerned about since the announcement of the game.

Last edited:
Personally i belive NRS would have tried really hard to improve the online for this game. After all the market for games these days is in the online parts of the game*. Ontop of that, they have made all new modes like king of the hill and possibly tournaments and watching online fights.

Im really looking forward to MK online as it does look like they have tried really hard to make this a good online fighter. Yes MKvDC was horrible online and i dont doubt that we will have lag on this game aswell, we get lag on every game, but i dont think it will be a big problem. Fingers crossed it fights smoothly and the lag is rare.

This is an explenation of my point above marked with *:

*By this i mean most games sell becuase people buy them to compete online, especially fighters and shooters. If this game has a good online it will sell around 2X as many copies as it would have if there was no online or a bad laggy one. Remember alot of sales come through word of mouth of friends. I myself have purchased games to play my friends at. You just have to look at COD to see what i mean. I am one of the best MW2 players out there (big headed i know) i have the highest KDR on my friends list, i dont camp, i completed all challanges legit and have nuked well over 50 times. But i have never played the story mode lol, i was straight online. I purchased it to play my friends and went from there. I dont think that NRS will miss a big selling oppotunity like this, also a good online will give lots of reply value. Replay value gives room to sell DLC, also another oppotunity they wont miss.

My internet is terrible as is, however they code the online settings for this game will not ail that. Don't expect me to play online a whole lot.

its warner bros now not midway, dont worry about it guy. the game is going to be perfect.

^^^ What he said. The team said before that they are focusing a lot on online, trying to make it the best for the minimum lag possible. You can't really compare MK9 to MKvsDCU anyway.

true mk vs dc was aweful online. you could tell midway didnt have the funds to perfect that game. glitchy, spammy and just terrible. im still trying to forget that game ever happened.

thats like silent hill being rated T for tween. id die

omg -_____- i can never go in a lobby in MKvsDC without seeing ppl insult others, someone was being so rude 2 me once, i felt like going 2 ed boon myself & ask "wat have u done?"

If they get the netcode perfect you will still have lag of 30-50 ms in Europe and probably more in USA and less densely populated areas. Where you live will have an impact.

If it is P2P you will have even more to content with.

If they get it right then it still will not play identically to locally - so don't get all upset when it doesn't.

I played Quake3 online for years and I could notice any ping over 30-35 ms. Over 50 and I was grumpy about playing. Fighters are a bit like Quake 3 in that you will notice even small lag. Sports games and more "realistic" shooters can get away with a lot more and use clever coding to mask more too.

Boon said something like this in an interview about a month ago : "You will be able to reproduce the offline combos online".

It might not be his exact words,but I remember clearly that he said something like that because it was one of the things that I was the most concerned about since the announcement of the game.

i remember this interview also in which boon promised the online experience would be as smooth as offline. also the NR guys announced at the machinima live stream yesterday they still have some announcements to make regarding the online modes in the game. looking forward to that:)

I just hope with the new release of MK we don't get a bunch of rude rage-quitters popping up online making everyone else miserable that is trying to have fun.

Ed has been coding a long time, I'm pretty confident in his ability to code and to find other good programmers for the new MK.

Lag is inevitable, no matter how hard you try to stop it with netcodes, someone, somewhere is using the cheap router/modem their ISP gave them, some people will probably be playing on AOL, the only thing i can recommend is getting a Cisco Router and the Premium internet from your ISP. i use to have a HORRIBLE connection, i would lag out of games/party chats the works, it was horrible, then i decided to drop a few extra dollars on a Cisco E2000 router and a better internet package, now i get a laggy game in Tekken..... maybe once out of every 40 games, i rarely if never lag out of party chats and games anymore

it all comes down to the mentality of the gamer, you are either casual using cheap if not free equipment, or your hardcore dropping a lot of money on equipment for better game play

I am confident about the online experience. I really hope we won't be dissapointed. It'll never be as smooth as the Versus local mode (let's not expect too much either)

Agreed, nothing online is as good as local play, but so long as it's reasonably lag free I'm happy. On the topic of spending money on gear, ToonSxO has the right idea, if you really want a better experience, sometimes you have to shell out a few greenbacks for decent equipment, but the end result is worth it. I have never once regretted getting into arcade sticks.

I want to know if there will be a dedicated server I dont believe they have really mentioned how exactly they will be implemting the online system or maybe I missed it somewhere