Are Friendships confirmed??

As of right now no. At the same time Boon did say if stuff like that was in the game he wouldn't make any announcements on it so players would have to find out on their own but with the leaks coming from left and right with no mentions of friendships they might not be in...guess we will have to wait another 2 weeks

Hell yeah, friendships are in! They will be hidden, of course:

If you want proof, here's why:

Spoiler:
One of the secret achievements leaked in early March, called Finish Him?. Pay attention to the question mark. It is a clear reference to the "Friendship?!" line that was spoken by the announcer in MK2 whenever someone performed a friendship. The title makes it sound like the opponent isn't going to die from the finishing move. Also, the way to unlock the secret achievement is by performing any fighter's hidden finishing move. It's definitely not babalities since there is already a secret achievement for performing every -ality with any fighter, called Complete-ality. Friendships are the only finishing moves that the winner can perform that don't end with an -ality.

Also, another related achievement is called Ultimate Humiliation, unlocked after performing every fighter's hidden finishing move. What would be more humiliating than getting a present handed to you after getting the shit beat out of you for two or three rounds and losing?

Last edited:
I'm hoping for there to be Friendships, almost solely for the purpose of (hopefully) having Stryker's classic one where the entire cast runs a marathon make it in.

Not officially confirmed, but they have been hinted in various ways. I'm pretty confident they are in.
Boon and co. said in various interviews that if there were friendships and stuff, were supposed to be hidden... That sounds like a hint to me!

There was a bts video where a couple of speakers and a disco ball were shown on screen in Kahn's Arena and i think people believed this to be a friendship.

Friendship! What, Friendship?

friendship-mortal-kombat-sub-zero-scorpion-demotivational-poster-1277626400.jpg

they are pretty much confirmed in the article where ed boon talks with the creator of Kratos about him being in MK.
"We’re not too shy about putting our Mortal Kombat characters in silly situations,” Boon said. “There’s just no humorous side to Kratos,” Boon said. “You’re not going to see Kratos do a Friendship … we kept him out of those situations out of respect.”

you know, if adding friendship in there, my gameplay will increase for many years.
its fun to see those characters making friendship to unexpected ones as they are lovers or closer friends , and next day they make a fatality as they breaking up heheh :D

Hmmm, yesss, I do believe friendships will be 100% in the approaching Mortal Kombat Tournament. You cannot have a classic tournament without the option of friendships(a classic staple of the series).

As for these fools they are imposters.. the ninja wraith known as "Scorpian" would be burning the cryromancer "Sub-Zero" alive if this was truthfully those two warriors. Hmmm, ah yes I see now, this must be the work of master sorcerer, "Shang Tsung". Yes, perhaps one of his creations from those vile flesh pits of his which birthed that "Mileena" being. Ah well, imposters or cloned creations..it matters not, for I Reptile will FATALITY them both!!

Last edited:
I hope they dont waste time developing that moves and spend it doing real fatalities, i dont like friendships but what i hate most are babalities, so lame and pointless, it ruins the game violencia line.

"..babalities, so lame and pointless, it ruins the game violencia line.."

Mhmmm ah..yesss you are correct human, I suppose next time I defeat one of my foolish,weak opponents I will perform a babality...then a FATALITY! ...Hehehe, (Acid+Baby=Are you pleased now?)

Mhmmm ah..yesss you are correct human, I suppose next time I defeat one of my foolish,weak opponents I will perform a babality...then a FATALITY! ...Hehehe, (Acid+Baby=Are you pleased now?)

fatality+babality = brutality
and i do hope friendships are in and not babalities

I hope they dont waste time developing that moves and spend it doing real fatalities, i dont like friendships but what i hate most are babalities, so lame and pointless, it ruins the game violencia line.
Ever heard of the term of the term comic relief? Not everything needs to be all dark and brooding all the time. If you think friendships are a "waste of time", then, IMHO, you should think that Johnny Cage is a waste of time. Has Johnny really ever done anything that important in the MK storyline? I love him more than I do Liu Kang, but take him out of the story and very little would be affected by it. More to the point, there are over 60 fatalities in the game; we don't really need any more.

I thought I heard in the interviews that they want this game to be more serious, so there aren't any friendships/babalities

Friendships along with "Toasty!" are a part of the dark humor that MK has had ever since MK2. They add to the game's style, not ruin it. MK2 was one of the darkest games of the series, if not the darkest, and that had friendships. Better yet, MK2 and MK3/UMK3 are widely considered as the best games in the series and those had friendships. MK9 is going to be an awesome MK game, a contender for best fighting game of 2011, and this will have friendships. Friendships IMO are more needed than we think.

Last edited:
A contender for best fighting game of 2011? Id say a shoe in for best fighting game of the decade. Im not a big fan of friendships, but it does add to the game & its a classic staple. I think Babalities & Animalities need to be erased from memory however. Brutalities were ok, but I can do without. I wouldve like to see even more fatalities instead of friendships. Sure theres alot of fatalities, but after winning thousands of matches, a big variety is a good thing. I hope all the friendships are really hard 2 do & that they are not revealed anywhere for awhile.