TRMK Fit and Healthy Club

Jade

What do you do to stay fit and healthy? What are your normal daily eating habits? What do you eat? Do you work out? How often and what do you do?

Some of us have problems staying fit and healthy. My job is very busy and we will be getting even busier so I know my eating habits are going to start to suck even more. I just feel there isn't enough time in the day to do what I need to do while eating healthy and getting enough exercise. The good thing about my job is that I do a lot of walking, lifting, moving, etc. but my regular hours are also terrible (10am-630pm, get home by 730pm) and we have been doing 10 hours a day now, which means I have to wake up a 6am to get ready and go to work and get home a 730pm....and it isn't easy being really tired and not having the energy and motivation to work out afterwards....and the usual routine is to come home, take my dogs out for a quick bathroom break, take a shower, eat dinner, go to bed....so I eat and then do nothing to work it off....which is bad...and winter is partly to blame because going for a walk after dinner in -30 to -40 degree C weather is NOT an option...but spring weather is finally showing up so walks will be happening.

Anyways, go ahead and share your routine and habits and let's try to help each other out to be healthy and fit. You may eat junk now and feel great but it will do damage when you get older. Everything works faster when you're a kid but when you start to really get into adulthood, your metabolism slows down and you may find that eating Count Chocula for breakfast every single day isn't doing your weight a favour <.<

I workout very little/ almost not at all but i watch what I eat. I enjoy eating fruits, vegetables and lean meats. Since i dont work out im "skinny/fat" lol. Im skinny but im not toned or anything haha. I use to be 30 pounds over weight and that was when i actually took working out serious (just for that period haha). I started to read the mens health magazines and i even bought a gym membership for a year or so. I lost 25 pounds or so in about 3 months. Im 5'8 and about 160 pounds now. I think thats a normal size. Nevertheless, my weight always seems to fluctuate. I am Italian and Portuguese so I enjoy eating lasagne, pasta and lots of carbs. Since I broke my ankle I havent been too active as of late and I am slowly starting to gain weight again. I think its that time to start picking up the weights and start doing some planks lol

I'm always active, but my issue is gaining weight, i wanna get bigger cause of my height i feel skinny, its just yeah....

I do P90x and alot of weight lifting otherwise I have no diet I eat everything lol I have a High motab so I guess its really just more fuel for the fire for me. I did stop after a year in the military and kinda let myself go but ive been going at it again for about 6 months now and finally starting to bulk back up again.

Ill give a little advice for those that dont eat right because of their jobs schedules which is understandable, I would just suggest bring light snacks for work like granola bars or beef jerky. Beef jerky is a great source for protien and helps to make you keep going its also very low on calories depending on which ones you buy.

So like before work eat oatmeal. healthy snacks or salads at work. Afer work I find chicken or tuna is really great for dieting and/or gaining muscle mass. So are pastas because of the carbohydrates but you have to watch how much pasta you cosume because it can be fatty its best to eat carbs(like pastas) before or after a work out, this is because its a fuel and you would be suprised at how much more you can do during a workout if you have carbs.

Protien shakes are also very good for breakfast and post workouts.

Water is the most important thing you can have its good to drink at least a quart a day.

I could add more if anybody has questions...im no fitness trainer but I do workout alot so I have some insight

I frequently put in 9-10 hour days at work, but I've found that a regular gym/workout routine can help a TON as far as energy levels and coping with stress in general.

If you can't go to the gym, MK Reaper hit the nail on the head with doing P90X at your house. Hell it's hella free on the internet, so if you don't feel like dropping some coin, you can find it somewhere. My mom was nice enough to to buy that for me randomly, and I learned a lot. Prior to using that, I had done cardio and small lifting at the gym in my building. The cardio DVD is the truth and put me on my ass. I find the treadmill actually really peaceful as it becomes me and my music, so if you have access to one and an mp3 player, it does help.

Eating smaller meals throughout the day will train your metabolism to burn calories quicker, as opposed to your typical 3, or even more popular two meals a day, as people skip breakfast. Don't do it, you're doing more harm than good if you think cutting a meal will help you in the long run.

Like MK Reaper said, water is your best bet throughout the day. If you have a soda penchant, if you can drop that, that's the best thing you'll do for yourself, soda and beer are nothing but tons of empty calories. Sucks because I absolutely love both, but if you're going to indulge, be ready to work a bit for that treat. As I type this, I'm finishing off a bottle of this :eek:

I also tend to not keep "snacks" at the house, chips, etc. If you're going to munch, grab some bananas or something to help kill that craving.

Last edited:
The Weight Loss Thread

So, I need to lose some pounds and I'm starting a diet today, so I thought this board could use a weight-loss related thread. From what I hear, support and encouragement goes a long way toward making progress with losing weight, so in this thread you can post about your own weight-loss experiences, or offer encouragement to those of us who are trying to lose weight or anything else like that. No one should feel pressured to actually post their weight in here if they don't want. The point is just to help each other get healthier. So anyways, let's do it!

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

I can give you a good tip to lose weight: exercise. You probably already know that, but if you didn't know, just from eating healthy food you won't lose weight... Go do runnings, go to the gym, go swimming etc.

You got to think of yourself as a cave man. Back in the day they would wake up in their cave and start looking for food. Well we are the same. Wake up in the morning and start exercising. That is when your body burns the most calories. I know you heard about eating eating small meals, but it is true. Eat smaller meals a day, like snack on berries. A banana is great for a great feeling of satiety. Also nutrient rich fatty foods are good for you, like avocados. That is all I can think now. I will get back to you later gotta go. Good luck.

Heh.. Jade's gotten merge happy all of a sudden.. hehe

not upset though... had I seen this thread I would have just posted here anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... not quite what I was after, but I take it as encouragement anyway. Thanks for the support!

Also a good idea is to have a calender and check off each day you felt productive towards your goals. This also is a positive reminder and helps you keep on track. It is good to be active everyday but you plan on lifting weights everyday, don't that actually has an opposite for what you are trying to achieve. You have to let your muscles rest. It is also nice to treat yourself a reward, you can mark that on your calender. If you don't get that three tiered chocolate torte, it might drive you mad. Don't indulge, just reward.

Best diet tip I can give is to avoid processed foods and fatty meats if at all possible, and if you're like me and are a caffeine junkie drink Pepsi Max or Coke Zero instead of the regular versions. Not only will the less sugar be healthier, both of those have 0 calories. It's shocking how many empty calories are in regular sodas. Ever since I had to start watching my sugar intake I've dropped about 55 pounds.

I am on an SCD diet for my crohns disease (google it). I only eat vegies, fruits, aged cheese, butter, and 100% juice. I cant eat or drink any sugar except for natural straight from the fruit sugar or honey. No wheat or granola. The diet has saved my life as far as my illness goes. also gained me weight which I need. BTW I'm 14, dont ban me now for being to young.

Best diet tip I can give is to avoid processed foods and fatty meats if at all possible, and if you're like me and are a caffeine junkie drink Pepsi Max or Coke Zero instead of the regular versions. Not only will the less sugar be healthier, both of those have 0 calories. It's shocking how many empty calories are in regular sodas. Ever since I had to start watching my sugar intake I've dropped about 55 pounds.

Yeah pop is your worst enemy when trying to lose weight. I would also suggest making your own meals. Not only you can control how much and how little you put in but saves you $$$. You have leftovers and gets you a positive mind and keeps you motivated. Plus gets you laid if you do it right.

My job is quite physical quite, although I've gained about 10lbs since I started, and I think I know why, I go a full 12hr shift w/o eating I simply have no appetite while at work. But when the shift ends and hunger sets in I have dinner and then almost immediately after, I sleep. I dont think I'm overweight though 215lbs seems normal for my height 6-5. I'll go on a diet when I cringe at the site of my naked body, or when the fire dept is cutting me out of my house, which ever comes first. NMB no man boobs!

Play competitive basketball(AAU/Primetime/AAS look em up if you wish) and that entails 2 2 hour practices a week, 1 hour of workout with my coach a week, around 5 hour of workout by myself, and tournaments which all in all keeps me pretty fit. I guess haha

My job is quite physical quite, although I've gained about 10lbs since I started, and I think I know why, I go a full 12hr shift w/o eating I simply have no appetite while at work. But when the shift ends and hunger sets in I have dinner and then almost immediately after, I sleep. I dont think I'm overweight though 215lbs seems normal for my height 6-5. I'll go on a diet when I cringe at the site of my naked body, or when the fire dept is cutting me out of my house, which ever comes first. NMB no man boobs!

Yeah, if you eat only once a day, you'll more likely to consume more food during the day rather than eating several smaller meals.

Yeah pop is your worst enemy when trying to lose weight. I would also suggest making your own meals. Not only you can control how much and how little you put in but saves you $$$. You have leftovers and gets you a positive mind and keeps you motivated. Plus gets you laid if you do it right.

I do plan on doing these things, but I have no use for the getting laid motivation... married.

I can give you a good tip to lose weight: exercise. You probably already know that, but if you didn't know, just from eating healthy food you won't lose weight... Go do runnings, go to the gym, go swimming etc.

Lies, my mom eats on my diet to and she lost 40 pounds.