TRMK Fit and Healthy Club

Well lately (due to summer) I've tried some new things and while I'm a little leaner, I feel I lost some size and strength which has in-turn annoyed me. :laugh:

So F it, starting yesterday I'm getting back to my core routine: lift heavy and follow a program similar to 5/3/1 with my own touches. Hit it hard yesterday and it felt fantastic. Doing back today and I'm kind of scared to see what I've lost on deadlifts.

wow, Im amazed that no one has mentioned swimming as a good form of excercise. It provides for excellent cardio, excellent body workouts and if you plan your routines and swim regularly, you do not need to hit the gym to trim away your fat.

It's exercise but problem is its easy to get distracted in the pool and unless you are swimming lap after lap it's not doing that much at least not for us that are older with less metabolism. The first thing they tell people on the Extreme Makeover weight edition or whatever it is, is to get out of the pool for those trying to lose a lot of weight. Prolly fine for toning, but for those that really want to shed the weight they aren't going to break a sweat in the pool.

I need to join a gym and get in a cardio program. Could stand to lose about 10 lbs. Thing is I have flat feet so running sucks and I don't really have the room for p90 so I need to get to the gym.. maybe do some work on the bike there too.

It's exercise but problem is its easy to get distracted in the pool and unless you are swimming lap after lap it's not doing that much at least not for us that are older with less metabolism. The first thing they tell people on the Extreme Makeover weight edition or whatever it is, is to get out of the pool for those trying to lose a lot of weight. Prolly fine for toning, but for those that really want to shed the weight they aren't going to break a sweat in the pool.
Yup you hit the nail with that and thanks for contributing to my badly constructed post. :) Yes, unless you can't keep yourself from getting distracted it is not going to help you much. I used to swim 50, 25m laps everyday and the workout I got from
it was amazing. And yes, It is not advisable for older people to do this as well. Swimming is a great way to maintain your current body structure and if you put in a few extra laps it does compliment in shedding some weight along with other weight shedding exercises.

What's the best exercise for the ass? After a long period of being a slothful bastard I been exercising for most of the week for the past 2 months and noticing some good results but think I've been neglecting my lower body.

the best thing you can do to become more active is force yourself to do it steadily for 2 weeks. before you know it, it becomes a habit. Just another thing you do on a daily basis.

My Schedule:

Mon-Fri: I lift weights and run (on alternating days). 45 minutes of weights or 25 minutes of running

Sat: I go to a Muay Thai class. The warm-up alone leaves people crawling. its awesome.

Sun: I ride trails at a forest preserve (Palos Hills, IL). always a fun, hard workout

What's the best exercise for the ass? After a long period of being a slothful bastard I been exercising for most of the week for the past 2 months and noticing some good results but think I've been neglecting my lower body.

That's very easy to answer... Squats

Last edited by a moderator:
I started my weight losing journey back in July of 2010. Was at 320lbs before I decided enough was enough. A little over a year later i'm at 222LBS. Lot's of eating right and working out 5 times a week. I love how I feel now and i'm only gonna keep going. I still have time to play xbox all the time just not for 5 hrs at a time eating junk food. Get fit if you're not people. You will not regret it one bit. Good thread.

I was doing P90X's Plyometrics just then. 15 minutes in and I'm feeling nauseous. I'll stop now before things get worse. I don't remember it being this bad. I did this for a whole month back then!

I'll go for Ab Ripper X when I start to feel better.

ok, this morning I stepped on a scale and weighed in at.... 199lbs. That's right. Under 200 for the first time since high school. Like a boss.

I have been very busy lately and haven't gotten the time to work out as much as I like. I need to quickly change that.

ok, this morning I stepped on a scale and weighed in at.... 199lbs. That's right. Under 200 for the first time since high school. Like a boss.

Congratulations!

Here's my contribution to this thread: This is gonna be a long post so I'm gonna try and be as organized as possible.
Just to function as a human being we are burning calories. We burn calories in our sleep. Yes we even burn calories sitting on our asses. Two reasons why some people are overweight is because they consume more calories than they burn. No brainer right. Some people dont lose weight because they dont eat enough, they skip the most important meal which is breakfast and they go for extended periods of time without a meal. This makes your body go into what they call "conserve mode" which means you can forget about shedding any weight because now your body is holding on to what you already have on for dear life.
So rule #1: EAT! Dont skip meals!

The best place to start is what you eat for breakfast. Most people make the mistake of skipping out. Visit any health website and they will all tell you this is a HUGE no.

Breakfast should consist of protein, complex carbs, fruit and a multivitamin.

Here's my breakfast:

Right when I wake up, before I brush my teeth, a whey protein shake. This gives your body a little jump start. After all, your body is waking up after 7- 8 hours with NO FOOD. (SIDE NOTE- YOU need at least 7-8 hours of sleep. Very important).
After taking the shake wait twenty minutes before you start consuming any complex carbs because Whey is digesting very fast while the complex carbs digest slow. You want to get all that you can from the shake. So wait 20 minutes.

Next: Breakfast time- Oatmeal which is considered complex. Have some oatmeal, 1 fruit or 2 of your choice. (I have yet to try this but I'm gonna start tomorrow is throw in a Fiber supplement. A pill would be easier than powder. Ill let you know how it goes) And some sort of multivitamin.

Alot of information I know. But if you really want to be healthy I suggest you educate yourself first before going and thrashing yourself mindlessly at the gym. I dont really work out because I know that if I dont make changes to my diet first, my workouts will be in vain.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm still experimenting with all this healthy stuff a bit. As I try new ideas out I'll definately share my progress. :)