TRMK Fit and Healthy Club

I hurt my hand a few months ago, some nerve damage I think. Made it impossible for me to grip anything. It's finally starting to feel better since I can now do pullups again. But dumbells are still a no go and I can only bench with a monkey grip.

It's really going to suck making up for all this lost time. Thankfully I haven't lost all of my muscle.

Since I've last posted I got the dip station I was talking about. Doubles as a pull up bar, I'm in love with it. Also got a punching bag.

I hope you get back to where you need to be.

I wish there was a punching bag at my gym.... or any equipment geared towards martial arts for that matter. I have some exercise equipment at home, but the temptation to do other things combined with disturbances by my family makes it a less than desirable option.

Supplements do help. I supplement hard, not going to lie.

I take a pre workout boost 30 mins before a workout, BCAA's and Glutamine while I workout and depending if I'm cycling on or off, creatine post workout.

Protein is an absolute staple in my opinion. Unless you're willing to eat a crap load of meat/fish post workout, I absolutely suggest a protein powder. Unfortunately I'm allergic to Whey, so I take Vegan protein, but Whey Protein Isolate is the whey to go (see what I did there hehe). I suggest ISOFLEX by ALL MAX Nutrition. You can get it at your local GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, if you're based out of the States.

All of my buddies that are hardcore gym goers pretty much agree ISOFLEX is the best, especially if you're looking to gain some size. Whatever you do, do not get GOLD STANDARD by Optimum Nutrition, it's extremely overrated.

I'll need to look into BCAA Glutamine when I get chance.

Although I like eating meat, I don't know if I have the capacity to intake sufficient protein after a workout. Personally, I would prefer to go for a ready-to-drink shake over a powder. My gym is close to my workplace, but driving home would take at least 45 minutes assuming traffic isn't too bad...from my understanding there is a 30-45window for optimal use of post-workout supplements.

Last edited:
I'll need to look into BCAA Glutamine when I get chance.

Although I like eating meat, I don't know if I have the capacity to eat enough help recover after a workout. Personally, I would prefer to go for a ready-to-drink shake over a powder. While the gym is close to my workplace, but driving home would take at least 45 minutes assuming traffic isn't too bad.

They help. Scivation XTEND is the best intraworkout supplement IMO. Good ratio of BCAA's, Glutamine, as well as electrolytes to keep you hydrated. Comes in carb or carb free formats as well.

The Gatorade protein shakes seem to be a good alternative to powder.

I'm just trying to lose some winter weight and really just tone up. not looking for abs or anything but i would like have my clothing fit better. any suggestions?

My workplace has a gym two floors above me. I try to go up there 2-3 times a week, and at the very least run/bike for an hour.

My boss started to get me onto this MMA workout that he's been doing for the last couple of years. Dumbbells only:
Standing Military Press
Upright Row
Push Ups
Bicep Curls
Overhead Tricep Extensions
Deadlifts
Squats
Lunges

30 secs / lift, doing as many as you can, 4 minutes a set, 4 sets, taking a minute to rest in between each set.

Doing that for the last two months at 20lb dumbbells, the muscle definition has started to show. It's also tiring as hell. Now I just need to incorporate some core exercises so I can work off the gut.

Ive been dieting and working hard these past few months to lose weight finally. As of now mainly doing ketogenic diet and just being active in general. Back 3 months ago in December I was 374, as of this morning I am now 321. So yeah pretty good progress :D just gotta keep going. Goal weight is somewhere in the 200-220 range.

I feel pathetic seeing other people lifting heavier weights at higher reps than me...but I guess have to start somewhere. Still, I prefer staying away from peak hours. I never liked crowds and it will be easier to get access to equipment with less people around.

Today, I saw someone doing a variation of jumping jacks with weights, I should try it out myself.

Last edited:
I feel pathetic seeing other people lifting heavier weights at higher reps than me...but I guess have to start somewhere.

Yeah, you should never have that attitude. Always do what you feel is comfortable for you, nevermind what others are doing around you. Personal progression is the key here, and if it happens to be less than what others are lifting around you, that still OK. Like you said, you have to start somewhere. [/QUOTE]

I feel like my posture is slightly better after working out. My calves and my forearms starting to show a little definition when I flex. I haven't gained mass though. I try to eat somewhat healthy foods, but I don't how many calories I consume most of the time.

Second day down and many more to go. I'm unbelievably sore, but doing these plyometrics exercises will definitely be worth it in the long run.

What would you do if you cannot complete a set? Do you rest until a little more until you complete it, use lighter weights, or move on to something else?

Also I ended up injuring myself while attempting to deadlift a few days ago. My lower back hurts, and so does the left side of my lower ribs. I don't want to aggravate the injury, but I don't want to let myself go anymore.

Last edited:
I would rest for a few seconds and then finish the set. Also sorry about your back. Maybe some basic incline walking for you?

Also I'm thinking of picking up boxing. I've found a gym that does it for 40 bucks. Think I'll try to attend the class today after work

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I would rest for a few seconds and then finish the set. Also sorry about your back. Maybe some basic incline walking for you?

Also I'm thinking of picking up boxing. I've found a gym that does it for 40 bucks. Think I'll try to attend the class today after work

Thanks, I guess I'll have to refrain from pulling and torso exercise for a while. I feel bad for having to cut back more than I already did, but better to be safe than sorry.

$40 a month for boxing lessons? Go for it! I would love to get back into martial arts, but between lack of money and an accommodating schedule, I'll stick with my gym membership.

Last edited:
Yeah you have to refrain from aggravating your injury. When I broke my miscues disk during senior year I did basic experiences and no wrestling for a couple of weeks.

I went today, paid my 40 pucks and now I'm learning boxing whenever my schedule allows me to. It was pretty cool! I got to learn some basic footwork and got an easy day. I'm hoping tomorrow will be harder cause right now, being in a boxing gym is refueling my wrestler flame!

So how is the boxing lessons going? Did you learn anything interesting? I heard that old-fashioned coaches discourage boxers from lifting heavy for some reason.

I saw a chiropractor and I'm feeling better. My lower back pain has subsided and regained my range of motion in my torso. My left ribs still bothers me though. I am adding more stretching to my exercise routine now as seems to help relieve some tension, especially my back.

Last edited:
Going pretty good. Mostly shaping up my footwork which is the most important thing on the planet. Got to learn how to throw a jab and circle the ring along with hitting the bag for the first time yesterday. This week was nice, I'm ready to learn more.

Hey nice to see your back pain go away. So you are back to your normal routine?

Going pretty good. Mostly shaping up my footwork which is the most important thing on the planet. Got to learn how to throw a jab and circle the ring along with hitting the bag for the first time yesterday. This week was nice, I'm ready to learn more.

Hey nice to see your back pain go away. So you are back to your normal routine?

I'm only working on my upper body and legs. I'm still staying away from pulling exercises and anything that moves the torso, since it will make the pain in my left ribs worse. I haven't fully recovered yet, I'm not risking anything that might strain my back either.

While my strength has improved a little, I'm hovering at the same weight since I time I started. I know gaining muscle is a slow process, but after 5 months, I feel I need to make adjustments. I currently eat 2-3 meals a day. I don't know many calories I'm eating though. Currently, my exercises are typically 4 sets and 12 repetitions...I wonder if going for 4 sets and 8 reps but with heavier weights will work.

Last edited:
Never know till you try. I know when I increase reps with the same weights sort of helped me for awhile.

im seriously wondering how you all do it. like ive been going to the gym for like a year now and I haven't seen any results. I feel like im wasting my money and my time. any of you got any advice before I give up and stop going again?

im seriously wondering how you all do it. like ive been going to the gym for like a year now and I haven't seen any results. I feel like im wasting my money and my time. any of you got any advice before I give up and stop going again?
Well what is your overall motivation for going to the gym? How often do you go?

What is your goal? Weight loss or muscle growth?