"Official" MK9 tournament requiring the PDP joystick?

Dogby

Straight from here: http://pdptournaments.com/tournament-rules.html

"All tournament participants are REQUIRED to use the designated Mortal Kombat Fight Stick in the tournament. You are not allowed to use/bring your own equipment unless the tournament judge announces/designates this beforehand."

seriously? Have they learned nothing at all since the resurgence of any semblance of a big fighting game scene? I'd encourage everyone to speak up about this, and especially tweet @PDP_Candace to let them know what a joke this is. PDP is trying to be the new Madcatz and failing miserably if they think this is a good idea

Makes sense to me, sure I guess part of it is they're trying to show off their stick, but the other side of the coin is that its just a very, very bad idea to let people bring and use their own controllers in a tournament like this. You want to keep it as fair and even as possible, and the best way to do that is get everyone using the same controllers, and get them using controllers they haven't had a chance to tamper/tweak/enhance in any way. Keep the playing field level so to speak.

I'm sorry, but that's bs. I've got 15 odd years of experience with a pad, 2 months with a stick - do you really think I'm going to want to use stick in a tournament setting?

Dumb rule is dumb.

Obviously this Tournament is not in the UK....

Doesn't matter where it's being hosted, the point is you can't force participant's to play with a particular control method. Some people are more comfortable using a pad than a stick (and vice versa). Like I said, dumb rule is dumb.

I'm sorry, but that's bs. I've got 15 odd years of experience with a pad, 2 months with a stick - do you really think I'm going to want to use stick in a tournament setting?

Dumb rule is dumb.

I fully agree with you on this. Now one might argue that a stick is better because all fingers can be used more properly and what not. To me though, that doesn't really matter 'cause I can't play for shit with a stick, I grew up with pads.

EDIT: Maybe they shouldn't let everyone bring their own pad/stick but at least give people the option to use one or the other.

Makes sense to me, sure I guess part of it is they're trying to show off their stick, but the other side of the coin is that its just a very, very bad idea to let people bring and use their own controllers in a tournament like this. You want to keep it as fair and even as possible, and the best way to do that is get everyone using the same controllers, and get them using controllers they haven't had a chance to tamper/tweak/enhance in any way. Keep the playing field level so to speak.

basically, beliefs like that are why no one takes the MK community/scene seriously.

"in a tournament like this"? tournament like what?? EVO, which is the most highly regarded fighting game tournament in North America, lets anyone bring whatever input device they want (within reason). The playing field is level because input device is a matter of personal preference, it's not like there's some joystick out there that's the best thing ever. there's top players that use pad, top players that use stick, etc. These games are about which player is better, not which input device is better.

When Gamestop held their SF4 launch tournament, they limited everyone to using the pad. This is even worse than that because everyone has a pad, everyone can practice with that. PDP is saying "hey, if you want to play in THE OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT make sure you go spend $100+ and practice using our stick!!". This tournament isn't about which person is the best MK9 player, it's about who is the best at playing MK9 on a stick that the general public hasn't even gotten their hands on yet. that's ********.

They need to read up on why everyone in the fighting game scene uses MadCatz sticks now. (HINT: it's not because they were forced to in order to participate in a tournament)

basically, beliefs like that are why no one takes the MK community/scene seriously.

"in a tournament like this"? tournament like what?? EVO, which is the most highly regarded fighting game tournament in North America, lets anyone bring whatever input device they want (within reason). The playing field is level because input device is a matter of personal preference, it's not like there's some joystick out there that's the best thing ever. there's top players that use pad, top players that use stick, etc. These games are about which player is better, not which input device is better.

When Gamestop held their SF4 launch tournament, they limited everyone to using the pad. This is even worse than that because everyone has a pad, everyone can practice with that. PDP is saying "hey, if you want to play in THE OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT make sure you go spend $100+ and practice using our stick!!". This tournament isn't about which person is the best MK9 player, it's about who is the best at playing MK9 on a stick that the general public hasn't even gotten their hands on yet. that's ********.

They need to read up on why everyone in the fighting game scene uses MadCatz sticks now. (HINT: it's not because they were forced to in order to participate in a tournament)

i aggree with this; this is stupid... at evo you can use a stick; a pad; a normal controller...

makes no sense why they would make you use the arcade stick.... no sense... because of this it isnt really a tournament to find the best fighter... but more of an exhibition for their equipment...

Lots of people play mortal kombat with a normal controller... i never once have played any mortal kombat with anything but a normal controller..

so stupid

screw this... go to EVO where they just want the best fighter to win; no matter if it is an arcade stick, controller, or whatever... hell they even used keyboards at the evo where they played umk3 [granted i dont think it was an 'official' game of the tourny, but still :)]

Doesn't matter where it's being hosted, the point is you can't force participant's to play with a particular control method. Some people are more comfortable using a pad than a stick (and vice versa). Like I said, dumb rule is dumb.

He was making a joke about how the UK doesn't have a tournament edition. Please calm down.

EVO, which is the most highly regarded fighting game tournament in North America, lets anyone bring whatever input device they want (within reason).

Fair enough then, I didn't know that, I was just assuming this was the way all the other tournaments would be run too, like I could see the logic behind why they did it, but I guess in the light of what you are saying it probably is just a big marketting push for their sticks after all.

And I didn't mean "in a tournament like this" as some kind of insult, I meant it like in a serious tournament when theres big cash prizes on the line I can see why they'd want to keep things above board as possible and eliminate the chance of any tampering or cheating, etc.

it will be interesting to see what kind of gameplay comes out of this tournament; with players only having a month to prepare for it...

EDIT: well i guess the pros that NRS brought in to test the game will have the advantage... but still can't wait to see

It's not dumb in the slightest; they are the tourney organizers, it's 100% their call.

^^^^^ DING DING DING!!

Im glad the OP brought this same argument over from SRK to here.

Again, put up $21.000 in prizes then make the rules how you want them. Otherwise, stfu about it.

No, that has nothing to do with why MK is a perennial underdog.

There are a ton of intransigent SF players that will likely refuse to consider this stick competitively, for no other reason than because they are comfortable playing on a Japanese-style stick. If PDP wants to court away some of the substantial Mad Catz market share, this is a pretty legitimate way of doing it. And, as people have suggested, it's a tournament sponsored and organized by the fightstick manufacturer, so it's within their purview to make the rules as they see fit.

If you're not happy about the rules, wait for Evo; it may be the preeminent tourney in NA, but not every tournament should be required to emulate its rules.