Liu Kang

I thought it was rather clear that Raiden killed him. I didn't think anyone could misunderstand that.

There's lots to misunderstand about it.
Why didn't NRS have Liu Kang stay behind with the other warriors?
He didn't HAVE to go with Raiden, to speak with the Elder Gods, and he just stood there.
It's really just a happy coincidence that Liu Kang is presumed "dead" after all the dead warriors were shown being controlled in the NetherRealm by Quan Chi?
NRS did that event afterwards on purpose, to keep people guessing.
I don't remember anyone checking Liu Kang's pulse after Raiden's fight with Shao Kanh, and both Johnny and Sonya also got knocked unconscious prior to Raiden's fight with Shao Kahn, and they didn't rise to their feel until after the fight.

But he's still immortal until the next tournament. He is entitled by the Elder Gods to defend his title in tbe tournament after all.

Yup.
There's also this.
Even if he was killed because Raiden is just a klutz god who can't control his own power, he would still be allowed to defend his title as EarthRealm Champion, since he died in a freak accident, still being a Champion.

Last edited:
There's lots to misunderstand about it.
Why didn't NRS have Liu Kang stay behind with the other warriors?
He didn't HAVE to go with Raiden, to speak with the Elder Gods, and he just stood there.
It's really just a happy coincidence that Liu Kang is presumed "dead" after all the dead warriors were shown being controlled in the NetherRealm by Quan Chi?
NRS did that event afterwards on purpose, to keep people guessing.
I don't remember anyone checking Liu Kang's pulse after Raiden's fight with Shao Kanh, and both Johnny and Sonya also got knocked unconscious prior to Raiden's fight with Shao Kahn, and they didn't rise to their feel until after the fight.

Yup.
There's also this.
Even if he was killed because Raiden is just a klutz god who can't control his own power, he would still be allowed to defend his title as EarthRealm Champion, since he died in a freak accident, still being a Champion.
Liu Kang also committed the Cardinal Sin of allowing his girlfriend to be killed in that massacre.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I still think that's the biggest "WTF?" moment of the MK9 story.

Raiden could see his visions, even as they were being modified and as he made changes to them, but he couldn't see the threat of Sindel being brought back from the dead (as she was in the original timeline), being a huge threat and the key to Kahn's merging of EarthRealm???

As per the original timeline:

Raiden_nightwolf Sindel resurrected.jpg

Attachments

• 90x55x2-Raiden_nightwolf.png
    90x55x2-Raiden_nightwolf.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 65

Raiden could see his visions, even as they were being modified and as he made changes to them, but he couldn't see the threat of Sindel being brought back from the dead (as she was in the original timeline), being a huge threat and the key to Kahn's merging of EarthRealm???

View attachment 7081
Because in the original timeline, Sindel eventually joined the Heroes instead of killing them.

I don't think anyone checked his pulse because he was apparently dead.

Dead or not, my money is on that boot being his in the boot picture. So he's undoubtly going to come back in some form or fashion.

But he's still immortal until the next tournament. He is entitled by the Elder Gods to defend his title in tbe tournament after all.

That's not true. Liu kang was killed in MK:DA. And was dead throughout that game. His soul was taken by Shang Tsung. It took Raiden to bring his body back to life. But his soul was around helping people around. I think when they say immortal, they mean the soul won't die. Maybe his soul is out somewhere now.

Even with Quan Chi's sorcery being the very reason why she breathes again?
I don't buy that.
Quan Chi had a hand in resurrecting her in the original timeline as well. She may have been the key to merging Earthrealm with Outworld, but in the original timeline, she also turned out to be a factor in stopping it (Shao Kahn was able to use the "royal consort" claim as a loophole to bypass the Sanctions of the Elder Gods when he had a brainwashed Sindel resurrected on Earthrealm; it stands to reason that a defection by Sindel, which is exactly what happened in the original timeline, would have effectively nullified that loophole). My understanding is that Raiden picked up Sindel's defection to the heroes in his flashbacks and saw this as an event he did not need to change, but his actions in changing certain events inadvertently led to the Sindel defection changing anyway.

View attachment 7082
You know lets just blame Johnny Cage for all of this. If he would of just died likenthe good cage he is Raiden would not have killed motaro shao kahn would not have merged tsungs with sindel and sindel would not have killed everyone

Quan Chi had a hand in resurrecting her in the original timeline as well. She may have been the key to merging Earthrealm with Outworld, but in the original timeline, she also turned out to be a factor in stopping it (Shao Kahn was able to use the "royal consort" claim as a loophole to bypass the Sanctions of the Elder Gods when he had a brainwashed Sindel resurrected on Earthrealm; it stands to reason that a defection by Sindel, which is exactly what happened in the original timeline, would have effectively nullified that loophole). My understanding is that Raiden picked up Sindel's defection to the heroes in his flashbacks and saw this as an event he did not need to change, but his actions in changing certain events inadvertently led to the Sindel defection changing anyway.

The difference, though, is that Shang Tsung's power was transferred into Sindel, thus making her more powerful.
Shang Tsung's power being transferred into Sindel should have set off an alarm in Raiden's head, as that did not happen in the original timeline.

Dead or not, my money is on that boot being his in the boot picture. So he's undoubtly going to come back in some form or fashion.

I agree with you there.
I also think that's Liu Kang's shoe.
After the huge mistake that was Deadly Alliance not having Liu Kang, I don't think NRS will ever do that again.

The difference, though, is that Shang Tsung's power was transferred into Sindel, thus making her more powerful.
Shang Tsung's power being transferred into Sindel should have set off an alarm in Raiden's head, as that did not happen in the original timeline.

And I think Raiden grossly underestimated that possibility. In fact, him killing Motaro to save Johnny Cage (a flashback he changed) was responsible for Sindel's actions being changed.

And I think Raiden grossly underestimated that possibility. In fact, him killing Motaro to save Johnny Cage (a flashback he changed) was responsible for Sindel's actions being changed.

Agreed.
I don't understand how Raiden didn't see that saving Johnny would lead to a bigger SNAFU of events to follow with more deaths and casualties.

In the dying words of Spock:
"The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few."

I was under the impression that Kabal had been trampled but Motaro's centuar squads in the original timeline.

Is there any reason as to why Kintaro ended up burning him instead?

I don't think Liu Kang is faking his own death. I feel like he's really dead and it's going to take a black magic to bring back Liu Kang. Not as a zombie, but as a real human again.

It's like "the butterfly effect". Remember, Raiden couldn't prevent an unwilling Lin Kuei from getting cybernized. So, it's similar to the Terminator franchise where Terminator 2 didn't prevent judgement day, only delayed it...

Liu will be back he might not be the big bad but i have a feeling he will be involved significantly. They brought back 2 of the 3 most important people to him
Kung lao and kitana. Something tells me liu will kill raiden though